+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Cal Roberts problem…

The Cal Roberts problem…

By all accounts, last night we played as most expect us to. Fast, free flowing and scoring with ease (apologies Tamworth!)
    The formation seemed to suit the game, but the questions after the result all lead back to Cal.
    If we have two in the middle like last night and Ruben just in front of them roaming around, wing backs pushing on from a 3/5 at the back…where does Roberts fit into this?
    Mitchell seems to deserve a run in a front pairing up too now and the same could be said for Vincent from midfield.

Is Cal one player too many in the formation we used last night?

When everyone is fit and available, our best front three is Wootton, Rodrigues and Roberts. You can set them up slightly differently, but I think this basically applies whether we play 3-5-2 or 4-3-3.

I've said before playing Roberts and Rodrigues together is a problem, some games its like playing with 10 (or 9) men, it's the Enzio problem all over again, which boils down to lack of regular consistency from the players and the system of trying to walk the ball into the back of the net at National League level.

Cal and Ruben fit best in the 4-2-3-1, which shouldn't be judged when Slocombe, Cameron, Rawlinson and Lacey are all out.

Wouldn't it be great if IB has convinced the team that they can move between formations easily from one game to the next...
    You can tell how important it is for the oppo's planning to know how you're going to set up. Listen to the Tamworth manager's interview - they were totally thrown by us going 3-5-2
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 20-10-2021 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Cal and Ruben fit best in the 4-2-3-1, which shouldn't be judged when Slocombe, Cameron, Rawlinson and Lacey are all out.

Wouldn't it be great if IB has convinced the team that they can move between formations easily from one game to the next...
    You can tell how important it is for the oppo's planning to know how you're going to set up. Listen to the Tamworth manager's interview - they were totally thrown by us going 3-5-2
    Agree with this. I think we can play either pretty well (both need some work), and can adapt based on who we have available, what we see as the opposition’s strengths and weaknesses etc. No bad thing at all.

For me Roberts is at his best when playing wide on the right. Has been tried more central but doesn't make the same impact so if whatever system we go with doesn't accomodate a wide man Cal will have to make an impact off the bench

Quote Originally Posted by hissingdwarf View Post
    By all accounts, last night we played as most expect us to. Fast, free flowing and scoring with ease (apologies Tamworth!)
    The formation seemed to suit the game, but the questions after the result all lead back to Cal.
    If we have two in the middle like last night and Ruben just in front of them roaming around, wing backs pushing on from a 3/5 at the back…where does Roberts fit into this?
    Mitchell seems to deserve a run in a front pairing up too now and the same could be said for Vincent from midfield.

Is Cal one player too many in the formation we used last night?
    Play him as the right Wing-back
    Last edited by BanjoPie; 20-10-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goapie View Post
    For me Roberts is at his best when playing wide on the right. Has been tried more central but doesn't make the same impact so if whatever system we go with doesn't accomodate a wide man Cal will have to make an impact off the bench
    I would like to see him playing wide on the left, he has a great left foot would be able to cut inside or put in some decent crosses.
    On the right he always cuts inside because he can't/won't cross with his right, the opposition have sussed this out and he is less effective.

I think it was the Aldershot game where we started 3-5-2 and Cal wasn’t picking the ball up in areas where he can do damage. IB went 4-4-2 in the second half and Cal tore Aldershot apart from the right wing. However, it was a gung-ho move that paid off on that occasion despite Aldershot having a lot of opportunities to score.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Play him as the right Wing-back
    Bring back Enzio! All is forgiven!