+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious val question

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    Furlong - beaten to his position by Ferguson, O’Shea and next TGH. His crossing and passing is poor.

Townsend- a steady eddie but nothing more.

They are both in the most important attacking positions, the roles that have most space to send deliveries in but both consistently fail to find the right pass.

Furlong and Townsend have been poor for quite some time. Good pros means f uck all in terms of still can be top championship material in 2022. Livermore is too slow - can’t pass or tackle so can anybody enlighten me to his excellent points?

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    Large numbers of our squad belongs in the bottom half of the league. No disrespect to Barnsley, but some of our lot are worthy of no better than a Barnsley standard of side.

Robinson
    Phillips
    Livermore
    Ajayi
    Townsend
    Reach
    Mulumbi
    Hugill
    Furlong

How many of them have we bought in the pass couple of seasons!! Perreira was so good he made a few other lads look better than they are, such as Diangana.

We look like a side with rock bottom confidence. The next two home games will either make us or break us sadly but the responsibility for this mess sits with the top brass who decide on how the club is ran.
    It's a funny thing is football which is why nobody's ever that sure of anything .

Straight off the bat mate and my honest opinion .

Val had our players playing Val football better than he has with the lads he's got at Albion .

That three month period last season when we won 9 straight championship games lost at home to Wednesday then went back to business winning 3-2 at Bournemouth the very next game we'd probably have taken care of yourselves too as of right now .

This league didn't know what hit em , nobody had a clue how to combat Val football plus Dike .

It was pure gold watching the big money clubs unable to cope with the incessant pressure and sheer intensity of our style .

It wasn't always pretty but my word it wasn't half effective .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    It's a funny thing is football which is why nobody's ever that sure of anything .

Straight off the bat mate and my honest opinion .

Val had our players playing Val football better than he has with the lads he's got at Albion .

That three month period last season when we won 9 straight championship games lost at home to Wednesday then went back to business winning 3-2 at Bournemouth the very next game we'd probably have taken care of yourselves too as of right now .

This league didn't know what hit em , nobody had a clue how to combat Val football plus Dike .

It was pure gold watching the big money clubs unable to cope with the incessant pressure and sheer intensity of our style .

It wasn't always pretty but my word it wasn't half effective .
    Here in lies the problem, the style of play simply isn’t the Albion way, while we are winning the dissent from the fans is quietened, we don’t in my opinion have the players needed to successfully play this way, to get to that point Val needs at least the summer window, then we have a problem the DNA of the club would be changed and when we hit the premier league and get beat ever week the support will revolt, bang manager gets sacked and we have to start again only this time we don’t have the players to fit an open system. This is why Val needs to go now and the club stick to a DNA of open attacking football and ensure successive managers are recruited that play this style.

Well said DaveP! The football is dire and becoming unwatchable. Four years of this and we could end up in the Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Weird assessment in my book. I see Townsend and Furlong as Premier league players. They really held their own in the Premier league......
    Sorry Boingy but I think you need to put your book down and watch more of the game. Townsend did better than I expected in the Prem' but his form's dropped off that previous scale in recent months.

Furlong had about two or three decent games in the Prem' top wack. Despite occasional last gap lunges he's not very good defensively and his positioning is generally awful.

Gets in the team by virtue of being a good athlete with the ability to run. A lot. And that's about it really given his throwing has lost it's effectiveness and his crossing is mostly dreadful. Don't get me started with his finishing earlier in the season.

Furlong is a Championship level squad player. He most definitely isn't and wasn't a Premier League standard defender by any metric in my book beyond having been lucky enough to have got there with us.

He played really well against Coventry, or at least better than I expected. Premier League defenders are consistently good. In the Premier League. He isn't even consistently good in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Here in lies the problem, the style of play simply isn’t the Albion way, while we are winning the dissent from the fans is quietened, we don’t in my opinion have the players needed to successfully play this way, to get to that point Val needs at least the summer window, then we have a problem the DNA of the club would be changed and when we hit the premier league and get beat ever week the support will revolt, bang manager gets sacked and we have to start again only this time we don’t have the players to fit an open system. This is why Val needs to go now and the club stick to a DNA of open attacking football and ensure successive managers are recruited that play this style.
    In a nutshell.

I agree too, said it too when we had Pulis

We are 3-5-4 (W-D-L) in the last 12 with the last 8 away being 1-2-5 that pretty poor
    Blackburn are 9-2-1 inc their tanking at Fulham

I said the other day I’d much rather have Mowbray than this hoofball with no plan B
    I don’t mind us hoofing it when needed, but we aren’t even getting hoofball right there’s no high press, the defence isn’t organised and keeps giving away silly goals

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Sorry Boingy but I think you need to put your book down and watch more of the game. Townsend did better than I expected in the Prem' but his form's dropped off that previous scale in recent months.

Furlong had about two or three decent games in the Prem' top wack. Despite occasional last gap lunges he's not very good defensively and his positioning is generally awful.

Gets in the team by virtue of being a good athlete with the ability to run. A lot. And that's about it really given his throwing has lost it's effectiveness and his crossing is mostly dreadful. Don't get me started with his finishing earlier in the season.

Furlong is a Championship level squad player. He most definitely isn't and wasn't a Premier League standard defender by any metric in my book beyond having been lucky enough to have got there with us.

He played really well against Coventry, or at least better than I expected. Premier League defenders are consistently good. In the Premier League. He isn't even consistently good in the Championship.
    Spot on. The system needs several players to be part of both the defensive and attacking phase and they fail miserably offensively. Livermore often cops it due to his bad passing but Townsend and Furlong have been equally as bad going forwards. Given that they are so limited going forwards they are barely worthy of a top championship club like us.

To give you an indication of how bad our players are, no one has bothered to come in for them! We used to fight off clubs for our assets when relegated, now we couldn't give them away. We can't be distracted by the fact that we've been relegated automatically earns us the right to being one of the top sides in the league.

People keep saying change the system, but to what? I honestly think we need a reality check. We want champagne football with absolutely no champagne players or money to invest. We look as good on the ball as some of the lesser sides in the league, but we expect better football...

Your thoughts tonight gentlemen please

But I did tell you so many many months ago 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by viaductbaggies View Post
    Your thoughts tonight gentlemen please

But I did tell you so many many months ago 🙄
    Yep that’s it for me. Has to go and quickly. Them players are lost out there. Who will come in though. 18 games to go

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)