+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Reality check.

Reality check.

As Albion fans I think that we need a reality check. In our performances this season we have played well against Bournemouth, Sheff. Utd. and Cardiff. In the rest of the games we have been bang average. The style of football is not pleasing on the eye but we must have known what to expect when we appointed Ismael. Having said this, I did expect us to be performing at a higher level than we are. I think that we are fortunate to be where we are in the table considering some of our performances. After a dozen or so matches I can't see us finishing above Fulham or Bournemouth and it will be play offs at best. I have to admit to being more optimistic than this at the start.

Curtis Davies made a very good point last night on TV when he said that Ismael's success at Barnsley came when five and not three substitutes were allowed. This meant that nearly half of the side could be substituted and that his high intensity style could continue for ninety minutes.

We are always going to be vulnerable at the back due to the high line that we play and we need to play in a more considered manner. There are more problems I admit but if he persists in bringing Hugill on for the final thirty minutes it will be a disaster. He brings nothing to the side. I agree concerning HRK. If he was bringing him on, at least he was capable of holding the ball up and bringing others into play. Hugill doesn't do this.

I realise that this is a somewhat pesemistic post but this is the reality of the situation. Hope that I am proved wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    As Albion fans I think that we need a reality check. In our performances this season we have played well against Bournemouth, Sheff. Utd. and Cardiff. In the rest of the games we have been bang average. The style of football is not pleasing on the eye but we must have known what to expect when we appointed Ismael. Having said this, I did expect us to be performing at a higher level than we are. I think that we are fortunate to be where we are in the table considering some of our performances. After a dozen or so matches I can't see us finishing above Fulham or Bournemouth and it will be play offs at best. I have to admit to being more optimistic than this at the start.

Curtis Davies made a very good point last night on TV when he said that Ismael's success at Barnsley came when five and not three substitutes were allowed. This meant that nearly half of the side could be substituted and that his high intensity style could continue for ninety minutes.

We are always going to be vulnerable at the back due to the high line that we play and we need to play in a more considered manner. There are more problems I admit but if he persists in bringing Hugill on for the final thirty minutes it will be a disaster. He brings nothing to the side. I agree concerning HRK. If he was bringing him on, at least he was capable of holding the ball up and bringing others into play. Hugill doesn't do this.

I realise that this is a somewhat pesemistic post but this is the reality of the situation. Hope that I am proved wrong.

It would be easy to see Leicester why we won't finish above Fulham or Bournemouth when you look at the riches/investment in their squads!!! Where is our Mitrovic? No one close since Gayle left and that's one player!

Why did you expect us to perform in a higher level than we have when we are third - Bartley, Ajayi, Phillips, Robinson, Livermore, Hugill and very average championship players at best! Grant and Diangana at 32 million a pop turn up sometimes but not frequently! Not one player including Johnstone in my eyes is Premier class! We sold our only class player ( Pereira ) and zero was invested!

Mowatt is our best player and where did he come from! Don't get why your expectations of these players are a higher level! My expectation mirrors the quality of the players - top six at best!! Don't forget this too is the weakest championship for years!

You reap what you sow in life! Brentford are where they are because of a passionate owner who invests - fantastic recruitment and a new up to-date Stadium! Compared to Brentford we are in decline!! Do you honestly think we would give Brentford a match now?
    I don't!!

Don't get me wrong Val is not perfect but nobody better would come to us unless deluded! I hated Dowling but he was never replaced even and a fat chinese chap called Ken is now calling the shots and Lai's puppet!

Whilst I hated Dowling - I bet it's a life changing act to get out of a business/club that's rotten to the core!

Sadly, I have accepted what we have become under Lai! Shame others don't and still expect automatic promotion with a rag tag team! What if we do get promoted? Do you honestly think we would do any better than last season with Pereira, Okay, Gallagher, Diange to name but a few!

Some mention Snodgrass - the guy sadly is a relic now and soon will be out for another 3 months! As our expectations sunk to the bottom of the ocean with people shouting for Snodgrass FFS! Why not ask Lee Hughes to polish his boots as he's still around!
    Last edited by baggieal; 21-10-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    It would be easy to see Leicester why we won't finish above Fulham or Bournemouth when you look at the riches/investment in their squads!!! Where is our Mitrovic? No one close since Gayle left and that's one player!

Why did you expect us to perform in a higher level than we have when we are third - Bartley, Ajayi, Phillips, Robinson, Livermore, Hugill and very average championship players at best! Grant and Diangana at 32 million a pop turn up sometimes but not frequently! Not one player including Johnstone in my eyes is Premier class! We sold our only class player ( Pereira ) and zero was invested!

Mowatt is our best player and where did he come from! Don't get why your expectations of these players are a higher level! My expectation mirrors the quality of the players - top six at best!! Don't forget this too is the weakest championship for years!

You reap what you sow in life! Brentford are where they are because of a passionate owner who invests - fantastic recruitment and a new up to-date Stadium! Compared to Brentford we are in decline!! Do you honestly think we would give Brentford a match now?
    I don't!!

Don't get me wrong Val is not perfect but nobody better would come to us unless deluded! I hated Dowling but he was never replaced even and a fat chinese chap called Ken is now calling the shots and Lai's puppet!

Whilst I hated Dowling - I bet it's a life changing act to get out of a business/club that's rotten to the core!

Sadly, I have accepted what we have become under Lai! Shame others don't and still expect automatic promotion with a rag tag team! What if we do get promoted? Do you honestly think we would do any better than last season with Pereira, Okay, Gallagher, Diange to name but a few!

Some mention Snodgrass - the guy sadly is a relic now and soon will be out for another 3 months! As our expectations sunk to the bottom of the ocean with people shouting for Snodgrass FFS! Why not ask Lee Hughes to polish his boots as he's still around!
    Al, In the unlikely event we did go up via the play-off's, we will be just like Norwich and be stuck at the bottom only we won't be as competitive. The only difference is that the Norwich owners seem to care for the club and actually support it so I'd imagine they do have a plan. Lai's only plan is to claw back the inflated sum he paid for the club. The bigger picture for us is quite scary as a club as had Lai chosen to make fairly modest investment then a couple of players could have made a huge difference in a weak league.

To answer your question al about my expectation for the season; it was the first few games. I thought that we played well against Bournemouth and deserved the win and then our complete anialation of Sheffield United. As to a higher level, I meant regarding performances as opposed to points gained and our league position. As I think I have stated before, we have gained more points than our performances have warranted. I hope that goes some way to explaining my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    To answer your question al about my expectation for the season; it was the first few games. I thought that we played well against Bournemouth and deserved the win and then our complete anialation of Sheffield United. As to a higher level, I meant regarding performances as opposed to points gained and our league position. As I think I have stated before, we have gained more points than our performances have warranted. I hope that goes some way to explaining my thoughts.

It does Leicester! I still say in my opinion many of our players are poor and with the best will in the world how could someone get more out of them! Barnsley had limited quality last year but it was the manager who got more out of them!

Why should we be expected to excel over Fulham for example who have some great players but quality comes at a cost!

Val has faults but honestly don’t feel anybody else could get more from bog standard average players!

What gets my goat are the ones calling for Val to go which is pathetic!! Who would come who is better? Who would get more out of let’s say Livermore, Bartley or Ajayi or who would turn a player into the next Dwight Gayle and actually know where the net is? Names mentioned like Bruce - FFS he’s failed everywhere he’s been! Pathetic to even mention a name who is in the same mould like Pardew!

The best to hope for in my view is to get promoted so that absolute W anker in China can sell the club and get the f uck out of it!

To be honest getting sick of Premier/Championship teams and their owners and player greed!! Can really see why so many fans go to support teams in lower leagues where support is valued!

Again I salute teams like Brentford who are everything we are not! Just my view but getting sick of the shallowness!

Some fans are getting so desperate they are calling for Snodgrass. He’s been a good pro but he’s half the player he was and he will be in the treatment room again soon!

I would give Tolluch a game though for sure as he can’t be any worse than Hugill!
    Last edited by baggieal; 21-10-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)