+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wycombe In Red - or How we are perceived in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket rocket View Post
    That’s the point I’m trying to make.
    You can’t compare us to Wycombe imo they cheat I don’t think k we do it or would under Warne.
    I thought they defended well and have decent players. I don’t look down on them I just think the levels they went to imo are horrible to watch and is just wrong.
    I couldn’t watch that every week
    No neither could I, but unfortunately it does seem that contrary to the saying, cheats DO prosper

I hate it

Wasn’t that long ago that Ivan Toney conspired to get Mattock sent off and now Toney is earning a big wage in the Premiership

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket rocket View Post
    That’s the point I’m trying to make.
    You can’t compare us to Wycombe imo they cheat I don’t think k we do it or would under Warne.
    I thought they defended well and have decent players. I don’t look down on them I just think the levels they went to imo are horrible to watch and is just wrong.
    I couldn’t watch that every week
    It's down to the game's ruling bodies to stamp it out as the refs really have no chance with the level of conning that goes on. It starts with FIFA and UEFA and at our level the EFL (God help us!). Incidents like the Posh player who got fined/banned recently for diving to win a penalty is a start but they need to be doing the same with 'injury feigning' and ramp up the punishments until the players/teams realise that the risk/reward is not worth it.

My thoughts shared on the original thread are that we knew what to expect from them and we needed to find a way past it. We had a bloody good go at it with a real shift put in by all our lads, but they held firm. I guess I have to give them a begrudging respect for that because an away point against a promotion rival is a very good point and they'll be happy with that.

I think it's somewhat misleading to compare our own frustrations with the Wycombe game to how fans from the Championship perceived our style of play. For one, I'd say most of the clubs who moan about us are so called "big" clubs who are vastly under achieving. The example given in this thread is Derby, well what a perfect example of a so called big club who have imploded and are doing sod all in terms of club success. Fans of clubs like that look at "little old Rotherham" and think they have a god given right to sweep us to one side with minimum effort. Sky TV etc don't help with the constant "punching above our weight" comments every time we venture into the Championship. We have no choice but to play industrial football because anything else would be suicide when we play teams who have vastly superior wage and transfer budgets to us. So those fans will be bitter no matter what happens because they don't think a club like theirs should even be on the same pitch as a club like ours, unless it's a one off in a cup game.

Wycombe are a similar sized club to us who have some very good players. Their manager is the longest serving in the league. There's no arrogance or right of god given expectation of either side to win merely by turning up. So yeah, those tactics seem somewhat extreme when taken to the excesses they displayed on Tuesday night.

Speaking to a Donny fan who was there on Sat when Wycombe won 2-0, exactly the same story. Going into that game Donny were rock bottom with a minus 12 goal difference, having only mustered 6 goals in 10 games. Their manager was in the stands. But I'm told the same tactics were deployed, leading to a game where Donny dominated the majority of the game but were constantly frustrated by Wycombe's endless gamesmanship. But again, it worked, it bagged them 3 points on the road.

So lets face it, if it brings them success then it will keep happening. It will only change if referees/ EFL really clamp down (not going to happen) or teams develop a masterplan to render such tactics useless.

Over to us then.

I don't understand this "Wycombe in red",if it's suggesting we a cheating side,it is insulting to an honest set of players we have at this club.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    I don't understand this "Wycombe in red",if it's suggesting we a cheating side,it is insulting to an honest set of players we have at this club.
    Where's Chris de Burgh when you need him?

Now that I've planted that ear worm I'm off for my tea 😆

Wycombe in red
    Are diving again (cheeky cheats)
    There’s no talent here
    Just Ainsworth and Rich, what a team of cheats
    I wanna know, why do they always dive
    There not a bad side
    But look like ****s tonight.

They’d need to wear red away for that work, sadly
    Last edited by Beaufighter; 21-10-2021 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    If the op doesn’t do it, I don’t know how to say it differently. If you’ve not been tempted to peak at opposition boards after we beat them it probably won’t make sense anyway tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    If the op doesn’t do it, I don’t know how to say it differently. If you’ve not been tempted to peak at opposition boards after we beat them it probably won’t make sense anyway tbf.
    ??????

I think we rarely cheat / attempt to cheat. The majority of those attempts are by Wiles and Ogbene who, occasionally, fall over in a cringeworthy way that no referee would buy . If anything the poor attempts at cheating only highlight how honest we are generally, because we can't cheat 'well' (not that it is ever good). I honestly can't think of anyone else in the squad who I've seen fall over a number of times when absolutely not fouled. Wiles and Ogbene do sometimes though IMO. And yes we time waste sometimes but like I said on the other thread, this is when we are ahead so it is slightly different. Although Jamal last season timewasted in the first minute up until the last. Winning, drawing or behind. He was just so very slow.

And Beau, don't feel like you can't post. I'm not in a clique, I don't know anybody here on a personal level and I'm sure many don't value much I have to say but they're my opinions and beliefs on OUR club so I share them regardless. I read many posts and agree with them, this is where I wish we had a 'like' button to simply show agreement, otherwise people generally only comment when they have an issue. That is fair enough but it distorts how many of us probably agree on many topics in reality.

Fair points. All of them. Regarding “falling over” I was baffled by the melee in the first few minutes as it was on opposite side of ground and hard too see clearly, but after seeing it back, it looks a lot like Olly “went over” rather easily with the Wycombe player barely touching him. Footage was hardly conclusive though and I wonder what it looked like from the East Stand?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast