+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Should we be grateful to Ashley

Should we be grateful to Ashley

Don't get me wrong. I'd like to boast of being the biggest Ashley hater ever, even going back 14 years when I suspected that all of his Bonhomme with the fans was false.

But according to reports while the sale which has just gone through looked as if it would fall through he appears to have had other offers which he either turned down or discarded for some reason or other.

Just think, had he sold to one of those, taken the money, and ran then we could have finished up with another almost as bad as Ashley himself, and then have to have gone through another fourt een years of misery
    Last edited by ex_pat_magpie; 21-10-2021 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Why won't it accept t een without the space.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I'd like to boast of being the biggest Ashley hater ever, even going back 14 years when I suspected that all of his Bonhomme with the fans was false.

But according to reports while the sale which has just gone through looked as if it would fall through he appears to have had other offers which he either turned down or discarded for some reason or other.

Just think, had he sold to one of those, taken the money, and ran then we could have finished up with another almost as bad as Ashley himself, and then have to have gone through another four**** years of misery
    NO NO NO

and knowing ashley he stuck with amanda, jamie & co either because
    a) it was better for him
    b) they would cause the biggest controversy/uproar afterwards

Glad you brought this up Bill. I disliked the man and what he did to the team - without question.

However.....his last dealing with us was perhaps (time will tell) his greatest. We were excited when he first took over, we hung our hats on him and I think we ended up hating him because we were disapointed with what followed - we expected so much more.

Has he redeemed himself? He did very well from us for a very long time and offered nothing but vindictive gestures and actions - it was abusive but I think he may have broke even in my mind with this sale.

I can't believe I said that.

I hope history doesn't repeat and these PIF lads get sick of daft cnts demands for managers, players, stadiums, free beer, pies, this that and the other and patiently stay the course.

I trust them and I will not be raising a dissenting voice for a very long time about anything no matter what they do.

For keeping the takeover alive and taking on the Premier league yes he deserves credit.

Mind, I don't believe for a second he had higher bids than this one.

I think he deserves credit for hiring the best lawyers available to take on the premier league which is what led to this Takeover finally going through. He also deserves credit for leaving the club in a good position from a sustainability POV meaning FFP will not be an issue for the club for the next 5 years.

However, his motivation for the lawyers would’ve been to recoup losses if the takeover didn’t go through and we’re only sustainable because he didn’t reinvest money in the club or team which resulted in constant relegation battles (some lost), terrible facilities and a stadium with broken seats, dirty windows, iPads for TVs and no beers at the bar.

His good came from his bad decisions and greed.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)