+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wycombe

Wycombe

Well prediction time, will Crewe be able to stop the rot off the back of 2 horrendous performances ? I suspect not I am going for 3-0 defeat.

On this occasion, DA does need to adapt his squad to the aerial bombardment that is likely to be forthcoming. To me, this is an ideal opportunity for Sass-Davies. And, as much as I am a fan of Offord, I think Akinfenya/Vokes will be too strong for him. Bearing in mind that a recent game showed only 30+% possession for the chair boys alongside a pass rate of only about 120, 75% in the opposition half, it is pretty clear what's in store. So how to combat this without being forced deep is the big issue. Its difficult as the above tactics rely on second phase reaction - not a strong point for the Alex. Also it will be necessary to cut out crosses and avoid giving away dead ball situations anywhere in our own half. So a tall order in that all these are historically weak points for the Alex.
    Would 5 at the back help? The wing-backs would have to push on to restrict deep crosses. The midfield would need to be placed to pick up the second ball. But what do we need to do to create a positive outcome? Well for a start I would suggest we need to attempt fast counters which would also need to avoid having 11 players in our own box. Kashket would be ideal here as he's pacy and would want to score against his old club. I would also play Long. Either of these should be working close to Mika and NOT stuck out wide.
    However, will any of this happen? Probably not, so 2-0 to Wycombe.

You've beaten me to it Gazan. Nothing seems to be working and I cannot believe that we have not tried playing Kashket or Long up front alongside Mandron. Surely their natural and comfortable position, quite a novel idea not. I don't really know the strength of the Wigan team a couple of weeks ago but we beat them with two up top, Mandron and Porter. I would also imagine that Bennett will be dropped tomorrow, no contribution from him at the moment and a bit of a luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    On this occasion, DA does need to adapt his squad to the aerial bombardment that is likely to be forthcoming. To me, this is an ideal opportunity for Sass-Davies. And, as much as I am a fan of Offord, I think Akinfenya/Vokes will be too strong for him. Bearing in mind that a recent game showed only 30+% possession for the chair boys alongside a pass rate of only about 120, 75% in the opposition half, it is pretty clear what's in store. So how to combat this without being forced deep is the big issue. Its difficult as the above tactics rely on second phase reaction - not a strong point for the Alex. Also it will be necessary to cut out crosses and avoid giving away dead ball situations anywhere in our own half. So a tall order in that all these are historically weak points for the Alex.
    Would 5 at the back help? The wing-backs would have to push on to restrict deep crosses. The midfield would need to be placed to pick up the second ball. But what do we need to do to create a positive outcome? Well for a start I would suggest we need to attempt fast counters which would also need to avoid having 11 players in our own box. Kashket would be ideal here as he's pacy and would want to score against his old club. I would also play Long. Either of these should be working close to Mika and NOT stuck out wide.
    However, will any of this happen? Probably not, so 2-0 to Wycombe.

Jaaskalainen
    Daniels
    Thomas
    Sass-Davies
    Adebisi
    Kashkett
    Gomes
    Robertson
    Finney
    Long
    Mandaron

So 3 at the back for me with Adebisi left mid and Kashkett Right Mid expected to do some defensive duties as well (right mid with defensive duties is a position we have not recruited for) Gomes Robertson and Finney center mid with Finney getting more forward to support Long and Mandaron up front. At corners Long and Finney to stay on halfway line for a quick break and to get some Wycombe players out of the box for set pieces.

Thoughts ?

I'm not sure about Finney. However, as there will probably be very little in terms of a midfield battle, perhaps you're right. Not sure that Kashket is ideal for defensive duties and who's the defensive midfielder? I'd go with:
    Jaaskelainen;
    Ramsey;
    Daniels;
    Sass-Davies;
    Thomas;
    Adebisi;
    Murphy (or Offord pushed into midfield);
    Robertson:
    Kashket;
    Mandaron;
    Long.
    And, as I keep saying; Long and Kashket need to take turns in sticking relatively close to Mandron.
    Finney and Bennett can come on for the last 20/30 minutes as Wycombe tire at the back (fingers crossed!)

And it is Mandron of course, not Mandaron ....

I think we have to move away from the 3 CHs set up, whether in Gazan's or Wartman's (with i assume Daniels at R lineups - 2 midfielders won't do it tomorrow or going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post

I think we have to move away from the 3 CHs set up, whether in Gazan's or Wartman's (with i assume Daniels at R lineups - 2 midfielders won't do it tomorrow or going forward.
    And we haven’t had a contribution from our Lundstrum and BSD champion for a while. Hope all’s ok Lukcour?

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post

Not sure why the B of RB has become a cool shades face ... the mysteries of the internet ...

And Lowery on the bench! Has someone blinked?

5-4-1 - I think ...

TL on the bench !!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast