+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jones' team selection

Jones' team selection

This isn't a thread to have a go, by the way. Jones deserves the same slack cut as any interim manager coming in under difficult circumstances.

But, his team selection was rank. I guess he would argue that it worked because we got an away point at a decent team but by the sounds of it, they should have scored 3 or 4 at least.

If Bruce had put that team out we'd have been going off it and it was a big shock to see it because, like most on here, I was expecting a more attacking lineup and strategy. It just made me wonder if our view of Jones' relationship with Bruce was way off the mark. Based on the players he played and what he's said about Bruce going, maybe they were actually on the same page after all?

I mean, I wouldn't go as far as to say it was a sort of two-fingers to Bruce's detractors but, even though it was only one game, today was a bit of an eye-opener...
    Last edited by Zippity; 23-10-2021 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Graeme Jones selected the letters

To start Lascelles Clark Ritchie and Longstaff yet again was awful, they arnt world class but if you have the likes of Schar Fernandez and Lewis as an option you start them instead, it seems because Lascelles is captain he has to start every week. I was pleased to see Fraser finally get a start but did he take his chance ? suppose 1 plus from the brucey days was Murphy didnt come on Roll on getting that new manager in as soon as possible and lets hope he plays players in their right positions and plays the quality players who at the moment are being ignored.

I'm hoping we're within touching distance with our relegation rivals when January comes around and then hopefully we'll be able to spend our way out of trouble. It's hard to see where our next win is coming from mind...

Jones made a good call dropping Joelinton but a bad one by bringing him on...he's useless

How is Krath a better defender than Schar also??

What do these players do in training all week though as they can't string 3 passes together?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Alberts__Lob View Post
    I'm hoping we're within touching distance with our relegation rivals when January comes around and then hopefully we'll be able to spend our way out of trouble. It's hard to see where our next win is coming from mind...

Jones made a good call dropping Joelinton but a bad one by bringing him on...he's useless

How is Krath a better defender than Schar also??

What do these players do in training all week though as they can't string 3 passes together?!?
    That was the luckiest point I’ve seen in some time but a very welcome one at this stage of the season for us.
    We were pitiful and, I agree, it was as though Cabbage was still in the dugout.

New manager needed asap.

I was all for giving Jones a bit of slack but bringing on 'Big Joe' done it for me. Jones can sling his hook as well.
    Good call Albert. We need to be within touching distance by January or the reality is that we could well be playing against a team that are currently in Div. 3 and are not obsessed with us at all.

I agree it was a lucki point but i believe Crystal Palace is a very good team and before the match i would have taken a draw. Last season they played very poor football under hodges but after 9 games they have only lost 2 and play some good possesion football thanks to vieira. Graeme Jones had 3 days to set up his team and you all want him to go all attack against a team like that, I'm sure that would have worked with all the world class atackers we have in the squad. In my opinion the team today loked more like Rafa than Bruce we were defensive but the players knew what the manager wanted them to do and every one did that to their best ability. We might never find out how Graeme Jones prefer to setup his team because he dos not have the time or the players to play his way

Quote Originally Posted by george123 View Post
    I agree it was a lucki point but i believe Crystal Palace is a very good team and before the match i would have taken a draw. Last season they played very poor football under hodges but after 9 games they have only lost 2 and play some good possesion football thanks to vieira. Graeme Jones had 3 days to set up his team and you all want him to go all attack against a team like that, I'm sure that would have worked with all the world class atackers we have in the squad. In my opinion the team today loked more like Rafa than Bruce we were defensive but the players knew what the manager wanted them to do and every one did that to their best ability. We might never find out how Graeme Jones prefer to setup his team because he dos not have the time or the players to play his way
    Great post George. I have no issues with the starting line up or the tactics given he had 3 days prep.... but...... Joelinton man..... Joelinton......

Joelinton, Longstaff and Krafth would be permanent bench warmers on my team. The side looked better when Longstaff went off.
    Benteke was totally unmarked for that last unallowed goal, where was our captain ? Schoolboy defending at it's worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    Joelinton, Longstaff and Krafth would be permanent bench warmers on my team. The side looked better when Longstaff went off.
    Benteke was totally unmarked for that last unallowed goal, where was our captain ? Schoolboy defending at it's worst.
    You can add Lascelles to that lot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    Just look at his positioning for the first goal he is a terrible defender. Mind Darlow should have been off fis line and cleared the danger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)