+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Palmer

Matt Palmer

I understand the nominations of Ruben and Vincent for MOTM today but for me Palmer was a cut above anyone else on the pitch. Everything we did well came from his intelligence, ability and timing on the ball. No, he didn’t score or get an assist but he got us playing at a tempo and ‘bite’ that we’ve been missing for so long, and that let not only Vincent, Ruben and O’Brien shine but the whole team as well.

Stockport brought Seceveric(?) on to man mark him but he got nowhere near him. He is what I imagine a young Michael Doyle would have been like, I hope IB keeps him in that deeper role from now on. He has been good all year but today he was superb….he’s so unassuming too, but we’d sure as hell notice it if he wasn’t playing.

……..

As for Stockport, I’d be a bit worried if I was a fan. Lots of money spent but one of the poorest teams I have seen at the lane so far….or did we just play sooo much better…or a bit of both? I think KC alluded to it on the match thread but they reminded me of us from a few years ago, big names but no cohesion.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    I understand the nominations of Ruben and Vincent for MOTM today but for me Palmer was a cut above anyone else on the pitch. Everything we did well came from his intelligence, ability and timing on the ball. No, he didn’t score or get an assist but he got us playing at a tempo and ‘bite’ that we’ve been missing for so long, and that let not only Vincent, Ruben and O’Brien shine but the whole team as well.

Stockport brought Seceveric(?) on to man mark him but he got nowhere near him. He is what I imagine a young Michael Doyle would have been like, I hope IB keeps him in that deeper role from now on. He has been good all year but today he was superb….he’s so unassuming too, but we’d sure as hell notice it if he wasn’t playing.

……..

As for Stockport, I’d be a bit worried if I was a fan. Lots of money spent but one of the poorest teams I have seen at the lane so far….or did we just play sooo much better…or a bit of both? I think KC alluded to it on the match thread but they reminded me of us from a few years ago, big names but no cohesion.
    You could've picked any of the midfield or defence (especially Kelly Evans) as Man of the match

I think Palmer has been criminally underrated so far this season. Quiet, unassuming but an integral part of the midfield. Here's hoping that him and Frankie will form a great partnership

A great piece of recruitment picked up on the radar.

Totally agree - Palmer was outstanding today, I can’t recall him making a single mistake. Everything you want in a midfielder and versatile enough to comfortably play the holding role which he wasn’t really brought in to do. A very, very good signing.

Indeed, the whole midfield three were excellent and full of non-stop energy. IB got a difficult team selection spot-on. The 3-5-2 is definitely the system that works best for us currently in balancing solidity whilst maintaining a threat going forward.

Totally agree with all the positive comments made about Palmer in this post. Our best signing, I reckon, this season. So reliable and consistent. Makes very few mistakes. Just an excellent midfielder.

As I said elsewhere, I think us signing him is as big as some of the big money signings elswhere in the league but it seemed to go under the radar. Other than him being a Derby lad and Ben Turner putting a good word in I'm not sure how we've managed to get him, might be the best thing Turner has done for Notts to be fair. He looks way above this level, someone also described him as "The player Jake Reeves thought he was" which is pretty apt imo

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    As I said elsewhere, I think us signing him is as big as some of the big money signings elswhere in the league but it seemed to go under the radar. Other than him being a Derby lad and Ben Turner putting a good word in I'm not sure how we've managed to get him, might be the best thing Turner has done for Notts to be fair. He looks way above this level, someone also described him as "The player Jake Reeves thought he was" which is pretty apt imo
    I imagine Turner told him about the style of play and I’m pretty sure Palmer said that was part of the attraction, probably not many sides in L1, L2 and this league where he’s going to have so much of the ball.

……..

Thought the midfield was excellent today as a team performance.

Stockport fans on their forum want Rusk sacked. They also cricise thier players for diving and harassing the ref. They are not happy bunnies so a typical forum after a crap performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    As I said elsewhere, I think us signing him is as big as some of the big money signings elswhere in the league but it seemed to go under the radar.
    One of the first names on the teamsheet for me, but hopefully it was because of the radar rather than under the radar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast