+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Relegation

Relegation

Well effectively 7points adrift of safety taking into account our goal difference, it seems really strange in October to be saying this but I think we are done for. The teams we have to play next are not our biggest battle it is confidence which must be rock bottom. It is disappointing that we still don’t know our best 11 or our best formations and it is also disappointing that the team seem to be 11 strangers having a kick around in the park. Do we recall Dale and get him straight into our starting line up ( sounds like a non starter) but I am clutching at straws. Any thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    Well effectively 7points adrift of safety taking into account our goal difference, it seems really strange in October to be saying this but I think we are done for. The teams we have to play next are not our biggest battle it is confidence which must be rock bottom. It is disappointing that we still don’t know our best 11 or our best formations and it is also disappointing that the team seem to be 11 strangers having a kick around in the park. Do we recall Dale and get him straight into our starting line up ( sounds like a non starter) but I am clutching at straws. Any thoughts ?

Looking at the table on the 2nd Jan 2021 we look to need somewhere near 21 points to have a chance of safety so that’s 13 points required out of the next 11 games optimistically just putting some results to those fixtures I come up with 8 points at best leaving us 5 points short. We are going to need an incredible run between now and Jan 1st and I just cannot see it.

Despite perpetually calling myself out as a pessimist, today's performance makes me feel a little better about what's to come (despite Doncaster winning convincingly!). The situation with Lowery does leave a bad taste in my mouth but if he's leaving at the end of the season anyway, we might as well get some return on the wage. I find myself really conflicted here as if we did turn some corner, some of the credit may go to TL but I'd hate for him to be rewarded in any way. I still think he's a really good player and he may just be the winning spark we need to gel the team together. We don't possess a bad team but we haven't got going all season and maybe we just need something that TL can provide. Is this at the expense of loyal Murphy? That would be another issue to sadden me. However, the number one priority is to save the season and we may just do it with TL playing and with Long settling into his role. Sticking with 4-4-2 for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    Looking at the table on the 2nd Jan 2021 we look to need somewhere near 21 points to have a chance of safety so that’s 13 points required out of the next 11 games optimistically just putting some results to those fixtures I come up with 8 points at best leaving us 5 points short. We are going to need an incredible run between now and Jan 1st and I just cannot see it.
    The problem is Artell has had the luxury of having 5 or 6 potential championship players in his team when he was in the 2nd division, they have departed and he's now having to recruit , players from outside the Crewe comfort zone, listening to him on RS he reckons we have a chance of winning more than we lose....brave words time will tell.

Today was Long's second start (not counting when he was withdrawn after Billy Sass got a red) and Madger's , Lowery's and Billy's first league outing so that more than a third of a team who have a lot to give and therefore possibly time to turn things around.
    Don't give up hope!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Today was Long's second start (not counting when he was withdrawn after Billy Sass got a red) and Madger's , Lowery's and Billy's first league outing so that more than a third of a team who have a lot to give and therefore possibly time to turn things around.
    Don't give up hope!
    My fear is will Artell give these players a fair chance to turn things around or will they be on Artells perpetual merry go round of chopping and changing. I think Artell needs to decide who is best 11 are and what he believes is our best formation and stick with that (injury permitting) until Xmas and then see where we are. That 11 would be

Jaaskalenin
    Ramsey
    Adebisi
    Sass-Davies
    Thomas
    Gomes
    Robertson
    Lowery
    Long
    Mandaron
    Kashkett

Subs
    Richards
    Daniels
    Macfazdean
    Murphy
    Finney
    Bennett
    Porter

Any thoughts ?

I'd go along with that.

Except I've just noticed that neither Offord nor Lundstram are in your squad!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Except I've just noticed that neither Offord nor Lundstram are in your squad!

Offord needs a rest Lundstrum know here near good enough at present and would benefit from a loan spell at a league 2 club IMO