+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Teatowels on head

Teatowels on head

Interesting. . .

Does that read that our Saudi owners don't care about the teatowels on head, despite everybody else screaming racisim?

Everybody is looking for every angle to have a go. Saudis are clever to be less uptight about that and accept the party atmosphere.

It was inevitable it'd happen, but I really don't think we should be celebrating Saudi culture. It's precisely the wrong reaction to have and lends credence to the critique that we're morally indifferent about the takeover. I'm not - it's a genuine moral dilemma for me. I'm obviously delighted Ashley is gone, and that we've got all this money, but in an ideal world it would have come from some billionaire saint. Not sure they exist though, so we have to make peace with the fact that our new owners are involved in some gruesome ****e. We're not the only ones, I know, but this is our club - other fans can be hypocrites if they like, it doesn't make the Saudis any better. And I'm not taking the side of the critics on this at all, since I think most of what I've read has been bad faith nonsense.

The league and other clubs were more than happy to leave Newcastle fans to deal with the previous ownership alone - it was an internal matter then. Now that's clearly not the case, and I think their change of heart has some pretty transparent motives.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy1981_2 View Post
    The league and other clubs were more than happy to leave Newcastle fans to deal with the previous ownership alone - it was an internal matter then. Now that's clearly not the case, and I think their change of heart has some pretty transparent motives.
    Very well put.

My view is that there is more chance of a change in attitude to human rights issues in KSA now that they own NUFC. What has happened in the past cannot be changed, we need to look to the future. This issue is a million % more in the public eye in this country and across the world now.
    However, as the Premier League are satisfied that The Saudi Government has zero say in the running of our club, you could argue that this whole issue is completely irrelevant anyway.

I know the tea towels thing was done from a place of jubilation, love, respect and comedy, but I cringed a bit when I saw it TBH.

But I think our owners can see there was no disrespect intended TBF.

As far as gruesome histories go, evey nation has them - none more so than GB, USA, Russia, China. Where do you draw the line?

This is sport not politics.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)