+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protests against Newcastle owners!

Protests against Newcastle owners!

I think we are going to see a lot of protests against the Newcastle owners when they go around the grounds this season, weve missed our chance but would we copy the palace fans and display messages towards the owners? Knowing the Saudis diabolical human rights issues, I think we will see more. Their stance especially on Women is discraceful and in an age when the FA is trying really hard to promote womens football. Again I feel so happy we have our owners and what they stand for!

There's absolutely no denying that there's a moral dilemma here. Regardless of the bluster and bravado on social media from some of our fans, I'd be mightily surprised (and hugely saddened) if you could find a single one who supports the way the Saudi government behave regarding human rights. Claiming it's not their/our concern? Well that's a different matter.

Some of us have engaged in debate, others have refused to but, as ever, other fans and the media will focus on the issues that make us look bad and them better so the message boards and websites are full of images of our fans with tea towels on their heads claiming we're going to buy Mbappe. Mind, I'm not saying we'd be any different if the boot was on the other foot but, by the same token, if fans of other clubs are being honest with themselves, neither would they if they found themselves in our situation.

There's definitely an argument to be had that, by them engaging in such a public way (given the massive global audience the Premier League has), the spotlight will be even more firmly on their human rights record and, as things are changing, albeit at glacial speed, maybe this enhanced exposure will help to maintain this progress. And no, I'm not pretending that we're in favour of the takeover because of this but every single angle on this at the minute is a negative one and other fans can see no positives at all.

The other problem is, as Dave says, we're going to see a lot more of this type of protest. It would be a lot easier to sit in the ground, look at a protest banner and think 'aye, they've got a point' if the motivation for it was a genuine interest in human rights.

Again, I'm not saying that these fans don't care about these issues but where were the banners at Man U who were in discussions with PIF over sponsorship, or at Man City where their owner actually owns the UAE version of PIF.. It's almost as if this is the latest virtue-signalling bandwagon and fans are jumping on it because it's an easy win to have a go at one of their rivals.

Taking the moral high ground is all well and good but why weren't these flag wavers there before? And that's a genuine question.

Good post mate - I think some of answer depends on the culture within the fans themselves, our owners have publicly stated that the club belongs to the fans and they (the owners) are the custodians for the time they are in charge. That sits well with me but I fully appreciate they are seeking a return on their investment but they will have the fans in mind as they develop the club behind the scenes.

If the majority of the fan base are left leaning I would expect to see a huge depth of feeling and protests when a takeover like this happens. Crystal Palace fans have done just that with Chelsea, Man City and now yourselves - as away fans I'd suggest not to take it personally but voice support for the points they make in the hope it brings about positive change in Saudi. Man Utd's support were very proactive against the Glazers and the super league, as were Chelsea's.

I bet some people dont know this. The Arab bloke that brought the club is reduculously powerful and has been instrumental in cleaning up the corruption in Saudi Arabia since 2017. Hes teamed up with Donald Trump along with other leaders such as Putin Modi etc taking down the gobal elite that want global domination and the one world order.

Most fans, and if I could be so bold as to suggest, all fans, would welcome with open arms, Stalin, Hitler, or even Corbyn if it meant that their Club survived.

This doesn’t mean that all fans have the ‘morals of an alley cat’, well it does really. Anything to survive, in our make-believe world of Footballdom. Attaching ourselves to something that maybe, one day actually succeeds.

Billionaires don’t get where they are by being choirboys. Multi Billionaires (that includes ours) don’t buy football clubs to save a community. Sportswashing, money laundering, call it what you will. But they certainly don’t give a flying **** about auld Bert & Betty at No.42, who have not missed a radio commentary for 50 years.

The only possible slant towards the folk at Sandcastle, is that they were nowhere near financial ruin, at the time of the Arabian invasion. They were just short of their fanatical support’s expectations, as is every Club.

This allows us to take the p1ss, and we should all exercise our right, as footy fans, to do so, with bells on. It's just what we do.

I hear students in Newcastle are protesting about the owners, is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by TrianonDave View Post
    I think we are going to see a lot of protests against the Newcastle owners when they go around the grounds this season, weve missed our chance but would we copy the palace fans and display messages towards the owners? Knowing the Saudis diabolical human rights issues, I think we will see more. Their stance especially on Women is discraceful and in an age when the FA is trying really hard to promote womens football. Again I feel so happy we have our owners and what they stand for!
    Having worked in the Middle East for 24 years I can assure you that no local woman would be allowed to go to a football match unchaperoned

In any of these Middle East Countries or Emirates
    Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Jordan, Egypt, Bahrain, Oman, Yemen, Qatar, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Fujairah, Sharjah, Al Ain, Umm Al Quwain, Ras Al Khaimah and Ajman

I can assure you that human rights is not at the forefront in any of these place so singling out Saudi is an absolute joke.

'Saudi Arabia abstained from the United Nations vote adopting the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, saying it contradicted sharia law. It is not a party to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which includes freedom of religion'
    Hope your happy when they ban Alcohol at the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    I can assure you that human rights is not at the forefront in any of these place so singling out Saudi is an absolute joke.
    It has to start somewhere though, of all the countries you named I'd say Saudi is the one most in the UK will be the most familiar with through news coverage, especially after the Kashoggi murder.

Quote Originally Posted by TrianonDave View Post
    I hear students in Newcastle are protesting about the owners, is that true?
    Dunno, man,

They're too busy pissing around the place on those fcking electric scooters to bother themselves anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)