+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimum Wage Set To Increase - £9.50

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Going up to £9.50 so they say this Wednesday but it should be £12.50 minimum.

A good minimum wage ( not a poxy £9.50 ) will be an incentive for those on benefits to work as there’s no incentive at the moment. It will also encourage more uptake in hospitality jobs where at the moment many can’t be arsed for a s hit pay!

Tips should 100% go to staff and restaurants should not be allowed to charge for cover charges. Any breeches of tips not going to staff places should be closed down for 3 months!

Any business not paying the minimum wage
    ( textile places ) should be closed down permanently and named and shamed!

Give people an incentive to work including all those EU workers who have sadly gone home!
    I thought that I read somewhere Al that this increase will not be applicable until April next year.

Totally agree about tipping. I refuse to go to a restaurant that 'imposes' a service charge as a matter of course. Anyway, I oppose tipping on the grounds that you wouldn't tip the person on the till at the supermarket or your bus driver so why tip waiters and taxi drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    I thought that I read somewhere Al that this increase will not be applicable until April next year.

Totally agree about tipping. I refuse to go to a restaurant that 'imposes' a service charge as a matter of course. Anyway, I oppose tipping on the grounds that you wouldn't tip the person on the till at the supermarket or your bus driver so why tip waiters and taxi drivers?
    Oh they must love you in the states then TB. I found when I never gave a tip after a round, the evil looks began to appear. Okay tipping is completely different over there.. but here it’s a nice gesture for those trying to make a good evening for you.. i doubt a bus driver will ever do that. Also self service tils, they now ask you to donate to charity.. don’t think I can stretch any more and give a percentage of my shopping bill.

Going back to BaggieAl’s earlier point, I do agree that cheating companies found to by paying beneath the minimum wage should face heavy sanctions.

Directors and owners should face heavy financial penalties and staff who have been underpaid should immediately receive what they should’ve had.

This should be immediately paid by HMRC to the employees in question and then recovered from the sh it bag owners.

I also don’t like the compulsory tipping expected in some places.

I tip based on service quality.

I’ve always hated the way the bloke at the hotel hangs around like a bad smell after simply doing his job and bringing your bags to the room.

When I was in Australia the concierge went “above and beyond” for me in sourcing two tickets to see Phil Collins in Perth and I gave him $50 for his trouble.

That’s what I call “service”......and not simply doing your basic job.

What a lot of companies do is pay the increased wage but reduce their hours. Mick sounds like a good boss 👍

The minimum wage will merely put prices up Any economics student will tell you - we could all be millionaires if a loaf of bread cost £1000. And if minimum wage is say £10 an hour that's £400 per week - great. Now look at state pension @ £137 per week. Square that circle when you are ready

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    Oh they must love you in the states then TB. I found when I never gave a tip after a round, the evil looks began to appear. Okay tipping is completely different over there.. but here it’s a nice gesture for those trying to make a good evening for you.. i doubt a bus driver will ever do that. Also self service tils, they now ask you to donate to charity.. don’t think I can stretch any more and give a percentage of my shopping bill.

Funny you wrote that Regis! We go to the States frequently due to business and I always tip at restaurants where we are known but where we are not known try to convince the wife to do a runner. One evening though when the bill came, I said to the mrs are you ready and she was fiddling around with her bag whilst I was out of the door. The waitress came over to my mrs and said " does your husband have a problem and not liked my service". Waitress gave my mrs a real hard time.

The moral of the story is runnnnnnnnnn

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Funny you wrote that Regis! We go to the States frequently due to business and I always tip at restaurants where we are known but where we are not known try to convince the wife to do a runner. One evening though when the bill came, I said to the mrs are you ready and she was fiddling around with her bag whilst I was out of the door. The waitress came over to my mrs and said " does your husband have a problem and not liked my service". Waitress gave my mrs a real hard time.

The moral of the story is runnnnnnnnnn
    Lol.
    The tipping policy in the US isn’t right though.. okay I get that the bar staff are on low wages and rely heavily on tips - it’s part of how that sector works over there. Here it’s completely different. The US system is out of line with everywhere else in the world though and this is where it gets annoying. Yanks as tourists continue to tip wherever they go, like in Mexico, Italy and say France for instance and so they are always welcome with open arms. We are often compared to them and if we don’t tip like they do, we are made to look bad. They’ve set a bad precedent and should realise they can tip differently in other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    Lol.
    The tipping policy in the US isn’t right though.. okay I get that the bar staff are on low wages and rely heavily on tips - it’s part of how that sector works over there. Here it’s completely different. The US system is out of line with everywhere else in the world though and this is where it gets annoying. Yanks as tourists continue to tip wherever they go, like in Mexico, Italy and say France for instance and so they are always welcome with open arms. We are often compared to them and if we don’t tip like they do, we are made to look bad. They’ve set a bad precedent and should realise they can tip differently in other countries.

They do take the p iss in the US though Regis as most bills now say recommended tip is anything from 20 to 30%. So let’s say two of you have had a good slap up meal with drinks that could be £100 and the suggested tip is £20 to £30 on top. Most Americans say - you should not go in a restaurant if you can’t afford the tip which is bulls hit!!

Hospitality in the USA should be forced to pay staff a basic equivalent of the minimum wage! Again it’s the businesses that are profiteering if staff have to make up their money with tips.

Some of the servers over there are so creepy to get a tip - I love the English accent - do you know the Queen?

One thing I do like about the US restaurants though - if something is not great they are super quick to take it off the bill!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)