+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Wage Set To Increase - £9.50

Minimum Wage Set To Increase - £9.50

Going up to £9.50 so they say this Wednesday but it should be £12.50 minimum.

A good minimum wage ( not a poxy £9.50 ) will be an incentive for those on benefits to work as there’s no incentive at the moment. It will also encourage more uptake in hospitality jobs where at the moment many can’t be arsed for a s hit pay!

Tips should 100% go to staff and restaurants should not be allowed to charge for cover charges. Any breeches of tips not going to staff places should be closed down for 3 months!

Any business not paying the minimum wage
    ( textile places ) should be closed down permanently and named and shamed!

Give people an incentive to work including all those EU workers who have sadly gone home!

I already pay all of my staff well above this level and most of them get considerably more.

I don’t disagree with your general thrust here mate but...........

I’ll give you an example of why some people take the p I s s out of your argument.

You know I’ve had problems with certain staff constantly packing and posting the wrong items which causes me huge hassle as well as expense and bad customer feedback that I rely on so heavily.

I told their line manager to get the culprits in and warn them that we’ve had enough of their lazy, couldn’t care less attitude and that the first casualty would be the generous Xmas bonuses I usually pay each year.

The reply he got from the main f u c k wit....

“Don’t shout at me......I don’t give a f u c k about the Xmas bonus anyway.....you rely on it....I don’t!”

What an absolute a r s e hole, if it wasn’t for the fact his dad is a friend of mine I’d have booted him years ago, his whole attitude stinks.

He’s lazy and useless, the fault is mine for even keeping him on.

Truth is, those comments have cost him EVERY bonus he might ever earn and have ensured that rather than being a decent amount above minimum wage as he is at present.......he’ll get no further rides and eventually he will be on minimum wage.

I started two new guys this year in the packing team, both hard workers and within two months both had been given two rises and one earned an extra £250 bonus.

I’ll continue to support the good people and the fu c k wit may just have to make the decision to move on.

Paying good people is a good tactic but it can’t be a blank chequebook for everyone.

By the way, you could pay £15 an hour minimum wage and there would still be a million or more people who sit and take dole money, the minimum wage has f u c k all to do with unemployment.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I already pay all of my staff well above this level and most of them get considerably more.

I don’t disagree with your general thrust here mate but...........

I’ll give you an example of why some people take the p I s s out of your argument.

You know I’ve had problems with certain staff constantly packing and posting the wrong items which causes me huge hassle as well as expense and bad customer feedback that I rely on so heavily.

I told their line manager to get the culprits in and warn them that we’ve had enough of their lazy, couldn’t care less attitude and that the first casualty would be the generous Xmas bonuses I usually pay each year.

The reply he got from the main f u c k wit....

“Don’t shout at me......I don’t give a f u c k about the Xmas bonus anyway.....you rely on it....I don’t!”

What an absolute a r s e hole, if it wasn’t for the fact his dad is a friend of mine I’d have booted him years ago, his whole attitude stinks.

He’s lazy and useless, the fault is mine for even keeping him on.

Truth is, those comments have cost him EVERY bonus he might ever earn and have ensured that rather than being a decent amount above minimum wage as he is at present.......he’ll get no further rides and eventually he will be on minimum wage.

I started two new guys this year in the packing team, both hard workers and within two months both had been given two rises and one earned an extra £250 bonus.

I’ll continue to support the good people and the fu c k wit may just have to make the decision to move on.

Paying good people is a good tactic but it can’t be a blank chequebook for everyone.

By the way, you could pay £15 an hour minimum wage and there would still be a million or more people who sit and take dole money, the minimum wage has f u c k all to do with unemployment.

I agree but what you pay above the minimum wage ie 12.50 to 15.00 endures a business continues to operate efficiently as opposed to closing early and also means that business has the best staff who will be reliable. Pay pittance get monkeys - pay around 15.00 and you get highly motivated staff that actually makes the business stand out by excellent service.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    I agree but what you pay above the minimum wage ie 12.50 to 15.00 endures a business continues to operate efficiently as opposed to closing early and also means that business has the best staff who will be reliable. Pay pittance get monkeys - pay around 15.00 and you get highly motivated staff that actually makes the business stand out by excellent service.
    I don’t pay a pittance to anyone.

You can pay decent wages and still get t W a t s.

I don’t pay a pittance to anyone.

You can pay decent wages and still get t W a t s.

I agree but paying a decent wage will ensure more decent and motivated people will apply - especially for hospitality. Experience for example and personality are two main skills required for hospitality. Good staff actually make customers return rather some idiot with zero personality or an individual who speaks pidgeon English! That’s my point.

Bit like a secretary - if you are paying around 40K for a top person who is PC literate with every application then it’s different to a run of the mill secretary on around 18K.

In life you generally get what you pay for whether it’s food - shoes or calibre of staff!

New min wage is long overdue but still not enough. If companies cannot afford to pay it then they have not got a sound business model. I get that some smaller businesses may struggle but then the govt could step in to help them but most larger ones can but dont because it means less profits for directors/shareholders etc. Ken Morrison said a successful business depends on good staff and good suppliers and he isnt far wrong. If you pay lower wages you do tend to get monkeys but Mick is right, paying decent wages in itself is no guarantee of decent staff. Time and again all research says that once you have provided a fair wage then next steps to encourage happy and productive staff are to 1) make them feel valued (not just a number) and 2) make them feel that they can make a difference (not just implementors). Obviously most larger companies have a broad range of staff and abilities and some may simply want to come in, do the job and go home but as long as they do a good job that is fine. Allowing poor performance from staff without challenging/correcting it will ultimately drag everyone else down to working at the lowest common denominator. One of problems I see increasingly both in staff and management seems to be a generational one. I know this is a generalization and their are obviously exceptions but too many staff under 30 seem to have an exaggerated sense of entitlement and do not take criticism or challenges to their performance well and try and deflect their failings whilst too many younger managers avoid confrontation and lack key people management skills inc communication/leadership/empathy/motivation/teamwork/coaching etc. Its almost like all this stuff has now gone out the window!,,,,,still, Im sure Boris will turn it all around with his promises of a well paid and skilled workforce (not)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    New min wage is long overdue but still not enough. If companies cannot afford to pay it then they have not got a sound business model. I get that some smaller businesses may struggle but then the govt could step in to help them but most larger ones can but dont because it means less profits for directors/shareholders etc. Ken Morrison said a successful business depends on good staff and good suppliers and he isnt far wrong. If you pay lower wages you do tend to get monkeys but Mick is right, paying decent wages in itself is no guarantee of decent staff. Time and again all research says that once you have provided a fair wage then next steps to encourage happy and productive staff are to 1) make them feel valued (not just a number) and 2) make them feel that they can make a difference (not just implementors). Obviously most larger companies have a broad range of staff and abilities and some may simply want to come in, do the job and go home but as long as they do a good job that is fine. Allowing poor performance from staff without challenging/correcting it will ultimately drag everyone else down to working at the lowest common denominator. One of problems I see increasingly both in staff and management seems to be a generational one. I know this is a generalization and their are obviously exceptions but too many staff under 30 seem to have an exaggerated sense of entitlement and do not take criticism or challenges to their performance well and try and deflect their failings whilst too many younger managers avoid confrontation and lack key people management skills inc communication/leadership/empathy/motivation/teamwork/coaching etc. Its almost like all this stuff has now gone out the window!,,,,,still, Im sure Boris will turn it all around with his promises of a well paid and skilled workforce (not)

"If companies cannot afford to pay it then they have not got a sound business model"

This isn't always the case though.

Wages are a fixed cost for most of us but takings, in a business like mine for example are not.

Last winter during Lockdown we were 85% to 90% down on normal business, if it wasn't for furlough a number of my staff would've had to go.

We kept everyone on, we paid everyone their full 100% wages and for around three months I lost a lot of money each week as a business.

Everyone wants everyone to be paid good money yet on the news tonight members of the public were all bleating about the cost of living.

I can promise you this, big business, corporate giants etc do not believe in making less so the more they pay their staff the more YOUR prices are going up.

It's a vicious cycle, wage inflation only leads to price inflation, it always has and always will.......in the end the status quo remains and those on whatever the minimum wage is set at will still feel poor.

A fairer system of working would be to make it law for any member of staff not to be paid less than a fixed % of what the CEO or business owner earns.

Even if you set that bar at 2.5% of the CEO's earnings, if the CEO earns £1m a year ( bonuses should be included as well ) then the lowest paid worker would earn £25k a year.

I think that what'll happen is that the hourly rate will rise as prescribed but businesses will then not replace staff when they leave and try to cover the gaps with other staff.

I also think those on flexible hours will end up losing a few hours a week.

Personally, I only employ full time staff and I pay at least 10% more than minimum rate even to the newest, youngest and most junior of my staff and to certain long term staff I pay almost double the minimum rate and way more than any other company would pay for the same level of job.

This has been earned by loyalty, a willingness to always go the extra mile and for nothing to be too much trouble allied to me having 100% trust in them.

A pity my one idiot member of staff has never taken inspiration from his line manager who is in this category and this is why he'll always be at the lowest rung on our ladder.

Those who "know best" and have an attitude problem really do relish learning the hard way.

"If companies cannot afford to pay it then they have not got a sound business model"

Wages are a fixed cost for most of us but takings, in a business like mine for example are not.

Last winter during Lockdown we were 85% to 90% down on normal business, if it wasn't for furlough a number of my staff would've had to go.

We kept everyone on, we paid everyone their full 100% wages and for around three months I lost a lot of money each week as a business.

Everyone wants everyone to be paid good money yet on the news tonight members of the public were all bleating about the cost of living.

I can promise you this, big business, corporate giants etc do not believe in making less so the more they pay their staff the more YOUR prices are going up.

It's a vicious cycle, wage inflation only leads to price inflation, it always has and always will.......in the end the status quo remains and those on whatever the minimum wage is set at will still feel poor.

A fairer system of working would be to make it law for any member of staff not to be paid less than a fixed % of what the CEO or business owner earns.

Even if you set that bar at 2.5% of the CEO's earnings, if the CEO earns £1m a year ( bonuses should be included as well ) then the lowest paid worker would earn £25k a year.

I think that what'll happen is that the hourly rate will rise as prescribed but businesses will then not replace staff when they leave and try to cover the gaps with other staff.

Personally, I only employ full time staff and I pay at least 10% more than minimum rate even to the newest, youngest and most junior of my staff and to certain long term staff I pay almost double the minimum rate and way more than any other company would pay for the same level of job.

This has been earned by loyalty, a willingness to always go the extra mile and for nothing to be too much trouble allied to me having 100% trust in them.

A pity my one idiot member of staff has never taken inspiration from his line manager who is in this category and this is why he'll always be at the lowest rung on our ladder.

Those who "know best" and have an attitude problem really do relish learning the hard way.
    I totally agree that wages tend to be fixed whilst sales/profits can vary. What I meant was that a sound business model surely takes things like seasonal variations/ competition/demographics into account. Obviously some factors they cannot forecast or do little about that can have devastating effects such as economic slumps or covid. this is wen govt needs coveted in and help. Also totally agree that many bosses and shareholders will protect their own interests and pass any costs -e.g. rise in wages-on to the consumer and so it becomes a vicious circle. I guess my own belief is that whilst anyone with the nouse/ ambition /drive to run their own business deserves to reap the fruits of their are work, but not at the expense of exploitation of others (e.g. poor pay /conditions)

Really do hate predictive text!!!😁 Should read "hard" work not "are" work and govt "coveted" ffs? Meant "govt needs to step in " Maybe my own fault as typing this on my kindle...

Even if you set that bar at 2.5% of the CEO's earnings, if the CEO earns £1m a year ( bonuses should be included as well ) then the lowest paid worker would earn £25k a year. I agree but never going to happen as it's a bit like saying a footballer on 200K a week should pay a speeding fine in proportion to their earnings rather than the same amount if someone was on 10K - yes they should and it does happen in some countries!

Many companies though do recruit the best and pay many thousands over the going rate for buyers, secretaries, marketeers etc. Some large blue chip companies spend millions on graduate recruitment and their graduates are propelled to the top - take John Lewis, TUI etc where graduate recruitment is deemed to be necessary for future management teams.

Not all companies are like Amazon, Sports Direct and Bet365 who are known to treat staff poorly so the profits are creamed off by shareholders and those at the top.

In life you get what you invest or pay - pay a poor basic and could get the bottom of the barrel and the job is a stepping stone. Bit like West Brom too as the moral of the story is the same.
    Last edited by baggieal; 26-10-2021 at 06:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)