+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burnley v Spurs Carabao Cup Round of 16

Burnley v Spurs Carabao Cup Round of 16

Many of us will remember those epic clashes in the 60’s in league and FA Cup between these two then giants. Many more will vividly recall the epic Carling Cup semi-final in 2009 when in a thrilling second leg at Turf Moor Burnley pulled back a 3 goal deficit from White Hart Lane to take the game into extra time. Had the away goals rule prevailed after normal time the Clarets would have been through to a thoroughly deserved final. As it was two Tottenham goals in the final minutes of extra time saw the Londoners break Burnley hearts and emerge victorious. What cannot be denied was that Burnley had achieved a remarkable series of results against Fulham, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham that became revered as “the capital punishment”.

Now Burnley face Spurs again at Turf Moor on Wednesday night in the Carabao Cup. One Claret brings together the side of 2009 with today’s team. Jay Rodriguez came on as a late substitute and scored Burnley’s third goal back in January 2009 to force extra time. In the last round of this year’s competition Jay hit four second half goals as Burnley came from a goal down to beat Rochdale 4-1. I fully expect Rodriguez to line up alongside Matej Vydra on Wednesday night with Connor Roberts who was not in the squad at Southampton also coming into the starting eleven. Wayne Hennessey who was on the bench at Southampton is likely to replace Nick Pope in goal ahead of Burnley’s key home game against PL newcomers Brentford at the weekend.

Spurs, last years beaten finalists in this competition losing to Manchester City just days after sacking Jose Mourinho, are also likely to make changes ahead of their home league game against Manchester United. New Tottenham manager Nuno Espírito Santo knows Sean Dyche and Burnley well from his days as Wolves boss. Disappointing 1-0 defeats at Vitesse Arnhem and then at West Ham on Sunday will see Spurs keen to avoid a third successive loss. Spurs are likely to select a mixture of regular first team players for the tie at Turf Moor with Lo Celso, Dele Alli, Romero and Gollini also pushing for starting places.

A place in the quarter finals awaits for the winners of this match. Burnley who secured a well-deserved point at Southampton will be looking to boost their confidence further with victory here. It could be close as it was back in 2009. It will not go to extra time this time but it may well be decided on penalties. If so will Hennessey reproduce his heroics from the win at Newcastle? COYC!

I might be persuaded to saunter down and watch this game live.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I might be persuaded to saunter down and watch this game live.
    I would, but I'm sure there are still hoops to jump through so I won't be, if only it was as easy as just sauntering down.

I've got my insurance bet on as well, Spurs to win in 90 minutes, and odds against as well. I'm having that.

I'm hoping Nuno picks Oliver Skipp and makes him captain, then we'll be playing against Skipp the skip.

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I'm hoping Nuno picks Oliver Skipp and makes him captain, then we'll be playing against Skipp the skip.

Sorry
    You aren't really.

Couldn't give a flying phook about this match.Brentford is far far more important game.
    Just hoping we don't pick up any injuries to our players.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Couldn't give a flying phook about this match.Brentford is far far more important game.
    Just hoping we don't pick up any injuries to our players.
    Of course you're interested Alfie, you wouldn't be posting about it otherwise. I'm not interested in that tedious 13-a-side egg chasing pastime, which is why I never post about it.

As long as they give as much as these lads I'll be happy

1Pope
    14Roberts
    22Collins
    6Mee
    23Pieters
    7Gudmundsson
    8Brownhill
    4Cork
    11McNeil
    19Rodriguez
    27Vydra

Substitutes

3Taylor
    9Wood
    10Barnes
    17Lennon
    18Westwood
    20Cornet
    25Norris
    26Bardsley
    28Long

22Gollini
    12Leite de Souza Junior
    6D Sánchez
    4Romero
    33Davies
    29Skipp
    5Højbjerg
    18Lo Celso
    23Bergwijn
    11Gil
    10Kane

Substitutes

2Doherty
    3Reguilón
    7Son Heung-Min
    14Rodon
    15Dier
    25Tanganga
    27Lucas Moura
    28Ndombele
    40Austin

Referee:
    Peter Bankes

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)