+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question....

Question....

I came across this wallpaper the other day:

https://hdwallsbox.com/wallpapers/l/...1080-30045.jpg

I was wondering what the years in the stars represent? Are they the last time we strung 3 passes together??

Quote Originally Posted by Alberts__Lob View Post
    I came across this wallpaper the other day:

https://hdwallsbox.com/wallpapers/l/...1080-30045.jpg

I was wondering what the years in the stars represent? Are they the last time we strung 3 passes together??
    Would you believe those dates were the ones we won the 1st division championship. 1905, 1907, 1909, and 1927. Even that last one was a few years before my time.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Would you believe those dates were the ones we won the 1st division championship. 1905, 1907, 1909, and 1927. Even that last one was a few years before my time.
    Come on ex_pat...you remember the 1905 success like it was yesterday don't bullsh!t me

🤣😂🤣😂

Come on ex_pat...you remember the 1905 success like it was yesterday don't bullsh!t me
    That was the year before my Mam and Dad were born but both of my Grandads would have seen the games that season. I had the stories of those first three 1st Div successes drummed into me many times.

That was the year before my Mam and Dad were born but both of my Grandads would have seen the games that season. I had the stories of those first three 1st Div successes drummed into me many times.
    Very interesting......did we play at St.James' Park back then? And what was the capacity...or was the attendance 2....both your Grandads?

Very interesting......did we play at St.James' Park back then? And what was the capacity...or was the attendance 2....both your Grandads?
    Interesting article. https://www.nufc.co.uk/club/history/...y-of-our-home/

The ground was enlarged in 1905 and the official attendance was increased from 30,000 to 60,000 but both Grandads used to say it was crammed and marshals used to have to push fans back off the pitch to clear the sidelines. There were only cash turnstiles then and gatemen fiddled the gate money letting fans under the turnstile for half price (all cash) hence the huge gates.

At the time even the old Roker Park was officially bigger having an official gate of 72,000.

I remember going as a lad in short pants in the late 40's early 50's and we would get to the back of the Leazes Terrace side and you would stand stiff like a log and the fellows used to pass us down overhead until we got to the front to sit cross-legged on the red cinder track next to the sideline. It was always crammed full like sardines in a can.

I should have added that it was often claimed that there were sometimes more than 100,000 in the ground.

I should have added that it was often claimed that there were sometimes more than 100,000 in the ground.
    Thanks for the history ex_pat

There might be 100,000 wanting to get in St.James' in a few years time.......if we can attract 50,000+ in the Championship imagine how it will be if we're regularly competing for trophies and European nights etc...

I think i fan zone/park or some sort of permanent venue for those who can't get a ticket would be great

Should add our historic 2006 Intertoto cup win to that wallpaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)