+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Burchball that much better than Ardley?

Some times against certain teams you just run out of 'big men' to mark up their 'big men'.

Anybody who went to the Etihad Stadium just over 10 years ago will know what I mean. Citeh must have had 8 six foot+ players that day and at corners it showed.

I don't want us signing giants to replace the likes of Rùben, Cal, Vinny, Nemane etc. You gain height , you lose speed and mobility.

BFP the only flaw in your last post wss that it was Rawlinson (not a little bloke) who got outjumped by a very large bloke. Not sure what we do about that. So you may say our big bloke has cost us two clean sheets in our last two games.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    But on the details of a game, we still have a little bloke(job) marking a very big bloke and losing the crucial back post header which lead to the equaliser the other night. .
    That was an interesting goal to look at.

Rawlo was outjumped by Bush. It happens. But Rawlo could at least have made it more difficult for him, even if he couldn't win it outright.
    I think Bush is 2'' taller and a bit younger than Connell.

Then, Palmer and O'Brien might have got the headed cross. I think it came off Palmer's curls which might have cost JOB his chance.
    Later, Patterson's parry might have been better than right into the danger area and Brinds might have made a better last-ditch tackle..

But far and away the biggest cause was Taylor switching off and letting his man go free. Inexcusable, bad marking really. That had nothing to do with height.

Maybe in the best 10 centre-backs ever is Fabio Cannavaro 5 ft 9''. I can't remember ever seeing him lose out in a crucial aerial duel.
    I don't like the fixation with height either. We have enough, and good coaching should be able to make up for a couple of inches difference anyway.

With a team like that (Bromley) you'd like to think we'd be rubbing our hands looking at how we can run rings round them and exploit them on the ground rather than fretting about headers and picking the team and playing the game on their terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    BFP the only flaw in your last post wss that it was Rawlinson (not a little bloke) who got outjumped by a very large bloke. Not sure what we do about that. So you may say our big bloke has cost us two clean sheets in our last two games.
    Ah my mistake. Saw the beard and assumed JOB. Well the fault lies with Rawlinson in that case. As a CH he should be winning those headers. You’re entirely right about the clean sheets, so the point is we need better reserve CHs. (If you see Rawlinson as a reserve CH).

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    That was an interesting goal to look at.

Rawlo was outjumped by Bush. It happens. But Rawlo could at least have made it more difficult for him, even if he couldn't win it outright.
    I think Bush is 2'' taller and a bit younger than Connell.

Then, Palmer and O'Brien might have got the headed cross. I think it came off Palmer's curls which might have cost JOB his chance.
    Later, Patterson's parry might have been better than right into the danger area and Brinds might have made a better last-ditch tackle..

But far and away the biggest cause was Taylor switching off and letting his man go free. Inexcusable, bad marking really. That had nothing to do with height.

Maybe in the best 10 centre-backs ever is Fabio Cannavaro 5 ft 9''. I can't remember ever seeing him lose out in a crucial aerial duel.
    I don't like the fixation with height either. We have enough, and good coaching should be able to make up for a couple of inches difference anyway.

With a team like that (Bromley) you'd like to think we'd be rubbing our hands looking at how we can run rings round them and exploit them on the ground rather than fretting about headers and picking the team and playing the game on their terms.
    All correct, but if you don’t win the first header or get something on it the rest obviously doesn’t happen. It’s what turned an innocuous free kick into a great opportunity.

I think in the NL you’ve always got to be fretting about winning headers and defending set pieces because that’s how a large number of the goals are scored. We’re having to score 2 goals virtually every game to get the win, and as we’ve seen even our dazzling football sometimes doesn’t even create that many good chances let alone score us goals.

Well there are only 4 sides who have scored more than us so we aren't too bad in an attacking sense. Plus a regular complaint on here is that we don't take out chances. Add those two together and......

Agree that you have to do the basics well on set pieces at this level and I thought we had this season to date. I don't know the stats but other than when we had 2 of 3 first choice central defenders I thought we had a very good defensive record. I also wouldn't be surprised if we've scored more from corners and attacking free kicks than we have conceded.

At the end of the day you can analyse the vast majority of goals conceded and easily spot who was at fault and why a team conceded.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerkline View Post
    You right, based solely on football results. IB acknowledged in a preseason interview that, ultimately, promotion will determine if the season has been a success. There are other facets to the club that could be deemed successful.

As it stands, I believe, IB’s brand of football as a greater chance of achieving promotion than Ardleys.
    I agree, but the proof of the pudding and all that ......

Out of interest, what do you feel are the other facets that have been successful? I think there are some, but promotion has to be the main factor.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I agree, but the proof of the pudding and all that ......

Out of interest, what do you feel are the other facets that have been successful? I think there are some, but promotion has to be the main factor.
    I probably didn’t word correctly, as in they could be deemed successful come the end of the season. However, I believe the positive signs are there already. Unfortunately, we(supporters) need a little patience.

From the outside looking in, the structure of the club and we now have an Head Coach/manager that compliments our structure. The foundations are in place and I believe success on the pitch will follow.

We now have a clear recruitment model in place, player profile based on our style of play. Early days, but I would suggest we’ve got 4/5 players who may attract a fee.

Players are developing with the coaching and facilities we have available. Facilities that are rarely found outside the Championship.

Not that I want to lose any of our key assets. But, there would be the financial benefit and, long term, I believe it will have a positive impact on player recruitment. Potential signings will see there is a development path at Notts County and want to sign for us.

I see a long term plan for the club. I look at Wrexham and suspect that should they get promoted, they’d need to start again e.g. throw more money at it, possibly replace the manager. A scattergun approach.

And, although I said patience was required. I can see Notts going on a winning streak fairly soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerkline View Post
    I probably didn’t word correctly, as in they could be deemed successful come the end of the season. However, I believe the positive signs are there already. Unfortunately, we(supporters) need a little patience.

From the outside looking in, the structure of the club and we now have an Head Coach/manager that compliments our structure. The foundations are in place and I believe success on the pitch will follow.

We now have a clear recruitment model in place, player profile based on our style of play. Early days, but I would suggest we’ve got 4/5 players who may attract a fee.

Players are developing with the coaching and facilities we have available. Facilities that are rarely found outside the Championship.

Not that I want to lose any of our key assets. But, there would be the financial benefit and, long term, I believe it will have a positive impact on player recruitment. Potential signings will see there is a development path at Notts County and want to sign for us.

I see a long term plan for the club. I look at Wrexham and suspect that should they get promoted, they’d need to start again e.g. throw more money at it, possibly replace the manager. A scattergun approach.

And, although I said patience was required. I can see Notts going on a winning streak fairly soon.
    Noble words, but can you put some sort of timescale on it? How many seasons do we need to be patient for? How long is a long term plan before it comes to fruition? And how long before you would deem it a failure?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Noble words, but can you put some sort of timescale on it? How many seasons do we need to be patient for? How long is a long term plan before it comes to fruition? And how long before you would deem it a failure?
    - Worst case scenario, we will be promoted next season. But I’m not writing this season off and I’m optimistic
    - A long term plan as many milestones along the way. But, I would expect us to be challenging at the top end of L1 in 5 years
    - If we’re not in the FL in 2 seasons, that would be failure

Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast