+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many Notts games......

Uysapie beat me by 3 years, as my first game was at home to Fulham, September 1955. We lost 3-4 and the great Johnny Haynes scored a hat-trick. That was a mid-week game and my second game the following Saturday we lost at home to Swansea 1-5, with Ivor Allchurch scoring a hat-trick. I’ve missed few home games since then apart from the last couple of years due to Covid.

When I got my first car, I started going to away games regularly. From Jimmy Sirrel’s 1970/71 promotion season onwards I didn’t miss a game, home or away, for years, including two away games by plane, which I think were organised by the supporters’ club.

My away trips have dropped off this century but there’s still been some great memories, like the away wins in the FA Cup at Wigan and Sunderland.

I’ve got no idea how many matches I’ve seen. But if you say half those seasons, including various Cup games and friendlies must have averaged at least 50 games a season, and the other half, when I only attended a handful of away games each season, averaged 25 games a season, then I must have seen something in the region of 2,000 games.
    Last edited by 60YearsAPie; 28-10-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts66 View Post
    That's such a coincidence Swale. You weren't the young lad in the duffel coat and tartan flares sat next to me in the main stand??
    No I was the other lad in the blue anorak on my Godfather's shoulders near the back of the Spion Kop but I think I saw you in the distance with that tartan flares lad nearby

I'll not count last season which means I have been attending for 50 years probably averaging about 20 home games per season + about 150 away games (at the last count I had done about 90 different grounds) so I make that around 1,150, bloody hell, COYP

Just stumbled across an article which reveals the "Historical Kits" site is wrong on the Chocolate and Blue halves strip for 1934/35. We didn't just wear that kit for the opening month and then revert back to b&w stripes, we wore it for the whole season with an announcement being made the following May (1935) that we would be changing back. The curious thing, is, 1934/35 was our worst ever season at the time, ending with relegation to the 3rd Division South, so if we'd instead been half decent that season, we might still be wearing chocolate and blue today!

Probably around the same number as UTM, 450 ish.

Would have been many more had I not moved away from Nottingham nearly 30 years ago.

Thankfully I was able to see the 4 seasons in division 1.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Just stumbled across an article which reveals the "Historical Kits" site is wrong on the Chocolate and Blue halves strip for 1934/35. We didn't just wear that kit for the opening month and then revert back to b&w stripes, we wore it for the whole season with an announcement being made the following May (1935) that we would be changing back. The curious thing, is, 1934/35 was our worst ever season at the time, ending with relegation to the 3rd Division South, so if we'd instead been half decent that season, we might still be wearing chocolate and blue today!
    There was some good to come from that relegation season then, utm. Chocolate and blue, no thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    There was some good to come from that relegation season then, utm. Chocolate and blue, no thanks!
    Those shirts sponsored by Cadbury would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post

Chocolate and blue had, as most of us will probably know, been our colours in the early days, including the first two seasons in the Football League. We hadn't won a single FA Cup tie before adopting those colours, then did really well in that competition - Semi finals twice and three QF appearances in the 1890s, so I reckon it must have been a bit of a surprise that we struggled in the first two seasons of the FL. That's when we switched to b&w stripes - for 1990/91 - and finished 3rd and reached the FA Cup final that season, so the stripes immediately became associated with a whole new level of success.

Incidentally, I was looking at reports of our FA Cup clash with Queens Park in 1885 at Trent Bridge the other day, the game was stopped no less than TWELVE times due to the pressure of the then biggest crowd we'd ever had bursting through the ropes around the pitch. The game eventually finished in a draw 2 hours and 15 minutes after kicking off. The ref then ordered extra time but Queens Park refused, because spectators were now standing beyond the touchline, QP left the field to go home and Notts actually went through the motions of kicking off again, scoring a goal against non-existent opponents and claiming a 3-2 victory. The FA however ordered a replay at a neutral ground - Derby cricket ground - which we lost, but it was reported that we took 8,000 supporters there, which seems quite incredible for the time.

Well I first started watching Notts in1950 as a 5 year old going with my Dad. 1960 started work & up till 1967 I went to every home game.
    From 1967 worked in Germany for a year returned home & watched them as often as work allowed both home & away.
    From 1976 watched them home & away until 1990 then just at home every game health permitting held two season tickets since 1972.
    So someone tell me how many games.

Notts (or "Nottingham County") on BBC radio on 26th November 1936, ten days after Edward VIII told the prime minister that he intended to marry Wallis Simpson. The Daily Mirror had her on the front cover on this day.

19:30
    Midland Football Clubs NOTTINGHAM COUNTY
    Thu 26th Nov 1936, 19:30 on Regional Programme Midland
    View in Radio Times

A sketch of the Club's history, policy, and players, past and present
    Given by E. A. EDEN
    C. G. BARNES
    HUGH GALLACHER Nottingham County has been in all the divisions of the League, of which it was one of the founder members ; it won the English Cup once ; and is probably the oldest of all clubs. Hugh Gallacher , recently transferred from Derby County, is one of the most famous centre forwards in the history of the game.

Contributors
    Unknown:
    E. A. Eden
    Unknown:
    C. G. Barnes
    Unknown:
    Hugh Gallacher
    Unknown:
    Hugh Gallacher

C.G. Barnes was our then chairman, Charles Barnes. Hughie Gallacher was the club captain (ex Newcastle, Chelsea and Scotland international and then aged 36, he later committed suicide aged 54 jumping from a bridge onto a railway line as a train approached unable to face a court appearance the next day over a domestic issue.)

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/773cb96d...9f9431ae3ab685

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast