+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IB the story so far ......

Those figures would represent an absolute steal.
    I don't like seeing this kind of talk, it just adds to the chatter which in turns adds to the chances of it happening.

For these kind of situations in general, I think the club has 2 choices

1) Cash in mid-season - let's say 250,000 to the coffers
    2) Have the player contribute to the promotion push, perhaps we can do it, showcase the player in a winning team, attract the scouts, let word spread further, spark a bidding war, sell end of season when clubs are squad building, get 500,000+ say and promotion into the bargain as well!!

Only a crackhead (or a club desperate for funds) would take option 1, so I'm hoping it doesn't happen. Let's see how far these players can take us.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Transfermarkt currently have Ruben at £405k and although it's not necessarily always bang on with valuations it's often not far out. Also, that £405k was last updated in June 2020!

If we were to let him go in January then £500k has to be the absolute minimum in the current market. With regards to replacing him that's where the moneyball approach steps in. I would put my house on it that the club are already working on finding the next Ruben or Roberts in readiness for their departure as and when it should happen.
    The question is what level Ruben can play at, which may the determine the size of bid coming in for him. I’d say League 1, though are still question marks about his stamina. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think there are many signings made for over a few hundred grand at that level, and even then there aren’t many clubs with those funds.

The nightmare scenario would be if someone like Wrexham or Stockport came in with a decent bid. Or Mansfield.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    The question is what level Ruben can play at, which may the determine the size of bid coming in for him. I’d say League 1, though are still question marks about his stamina. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think there are many signings made for over a few hundred grand at that level, and even then there aren’t many clubs with those funds.

The nightmare scenario would be if someone like Wrexham or Stockport came in with a decent bid. Or Mansfield.
    I think he needs more consistency to justify some of the potential fees mentioned. When Ruben is good he's really good, but he's also had a few ineffective games this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I think he needs more consistency to justify some of the potential fees mentioned. When Ruben is good he's really good, but he's also had a few ineffective games this season.
    One thing we seem to have in our favour, is that though the amount of money we have at our disposal is anyone's guess, since the Broz took over, we've never seemed like a club in desperate need of 250K.

That's a good point Gump.

It's the great unknown, forget what they will or won't spend on a player. If they accepted the £200K for Magpie Circle talked about for RR then that would be a big clue and worrying sign as to the level of cash they have behind them.

If they wouldn't even consider below £250K then it's a real positive.

IF he goes mid season I see that as a major issue. We may have someone lined up but in reality let’s say he’s worth 500k, then we need to sign a 500k player ability wise so they hit the ground running or we need by then Mitchell or Knight excelling to fill in and not a prospect needing 6 months as we will need to be really pushing then if we are in contention. I can see something in Mitchell that he can possibly get to a decent level, Knights just been very unlucky with injuries and last season was a massive ask after not playing for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    IF he goes mid season I see that as a major issue. We may have someone lined up but in reality let’s say he’s worth 500k, then we need to sign a 500k player ability wise so they hit the ground running or we need by then Mitchell or Knight excelling to fill in and not a prospect needing 6 months as we will need to be really pushing then if we are in contention. I can see something in Mitchell that he can possibly get to a decent level, Knights just been very unlucky with injuries and last season was a massive ask after not playing for so long.
    I like the idea of building for the future, but only if the future isn't too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I like the idea of building for the future, but only if the future isn't too far away.
    Well put and likewise!

If the spending cap (900k) comes in next season, what use will 250k or even 500k be?

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    If the spending cap (900k) comes in next season, what use will 250k or even 500k be?
    It'll pay some of the wage bill shortfall etc.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast