+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AJ - in or out ?

Everyone loves to blame the manager. The problems at the club run a lot deeper than a manager who has kept the club in the championship with both his hands tied behind his back. He has had no budget for players and certain players have been signed without his consent and given two year contracts into the bargain, and before anyone says he has the strongest squad the club has had in years for me is crap. We have a strong defence, not to bad a midfield and absolutely nothing in the forward areas. the squad is average at best. There are no players in that squad who I would say would start for a team like Arbroath every week. We may have more in terms of numbers but that only means we have more crap than usual. Last season we had the likes of dobie and Jones who is staring most weeks for Middlesbrough, the lad at Motherwell, etc etc and I wouldn’t say that was a great squad. this year we don’t have that so for me, from what I have seen so far, it has been yet another step backwards and will be another year fighting relegation. Yes we could bring in a new manager and possibly get a reaction for a week or two with the results, but after a few weeks it will be back to the norm.
    There is an apathy about the club that I don’t like. There appears to be no drive or ambition from the board all the way down the ladder to dare I say it, a lot of the support, some of whom are just happy to survive in the championship. There has been no improvement in the club for years now and teams like raith, Livingston, and even Arbroath are now in front of us in terms of quality of squads and success in leagues.
    So in answer to the topic, if Johnstone is a yes man, which I suspect he has become to protect himself, to our chairman, then I hope he walks as I don’t think for one second he will get sacked any time soon as he is the easy option for a chairman who will continually interfere with team affairs. So for me yes he should walk, along with a chairman who has been pulling the wool over supporters eyes for to long. That way the club might progress the way it was under mr Blount and mr Bradford, and dare I say mr Rae who had us at hampden and in Europe

Agree with your post Fatfan, well said!! There is a general apathy around the club at the moment, whereby the manager seems to be taking the majority of blame. Wrongly in my opinion!!

He may not be Jürgen Klopp in managerial terms but he is doing his best with the tools at his disposal. He's an experienced football man who knows the game inside out. I believe, like you, that the fault lies above him. A football club should be at the heart of the community and fans given more encouragement to attend and support their team. Dumfries as a town is comparable in size to Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy, Greenock, etc but the dwindling support does not reflect this.

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    Everyone loves to blame the manager. The problems at the club run a lot deeper than a manager who has kept the club in the championship with both his hands tied behind his back. He has had no budget for players and certain players have been signed without his consent and given two year contracts into the bargain, and before anyone says he has the strongest squad the club has had in years for me is crap. We have a strong defence, not to bad a midfield and absolutely nothing in the forward areas. the squad is average at best. There are no players in that squad who I would say would start for a team like Arbroath every week. We may have more in terms of numbers but that only means we have more crap than usual. Last season we had the likes of dobie and Jones who is staring most weeks for Middlesbrough, the lad at Motherwell, etc etc and I wouldn’t say that was a great squad. this year we don’t have that so for me, from what I have seen so far, it has been yet another step backwards and will be another year fighting relegation. Yes we could bring in a new manager and possibly get a reaction for a week or two with the results, but after a few weeks it will be back to the norm.
    There is an apathy about the club that I don’t like. There appears to be no drive or ambition from the board all the way down the ladder to dare I say it, a lot of the support, some of whom are just happy to survive in the championship. There has been no improvement in the club for years now and teams like raith, Livingston, and even Arbroath are now in front of us in terms of quality of squads and success in leagues.
    So in answer to the topic, if Johnstone is a yes man, which I suspect he has become to protect himself, to our chairman, then I hope he walks as I don’t think for one second he will get sacked any time soon as he is the easy option for a chairman who will continually interfere with team affairs. So for me yes he should walk, along with a chairman who has been pulling the wool over supporters eyes for to long. That way the club might progress the way it was under mr Blount and mr Bradford, and dare I say mr Rae who had us at hampden and in Europe
    Utter nonsense that he hasn’t signed some of the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Threefivetwo View Post
    Agree with your post Fatfan, well said!! There is a general apathy around the club at the moment, whereby the manager seems to be taking the majority of blame. Wrongly in my opinion!!

He may not be Jürgen Klopp in managerial terms but he is doing his best with the tools at his disposal. He's an experienced football man who knows the game inside out. I believe, like you, that the fault lies above him. A football club should be at the heart of the community and fans given more encouragement to attend and support their team. Dumfries as a town is comparable in size to Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy, Greenock, etc but the dwindling support does not reflect this.
    There’s plenty of great community work happening at Palmerston but the fans are demanding more on the pitch and not off it. AJ is a man under pressure and knew what he was getting into before he signed a new 2 year deal. To me he lacks any man management skills & motivation.

I'll need to bow to any superior knowledge you have in terms of man management and motivational skills, something I can't comment on as I simply don't know if that's the case. I'm well aware however of people knowing what they are getting into. I'm sure he going in with the best intentions and his ideal scenario is not languishing where they are at the moment. Nevertheless, they are and he can only work with what he's got.

I've been to all bar one of the games and from what I can see missed chances are what are costing the team at the moment, not being outclassed. Pro's, certainly at the half decent level they're at, should be converting some of these chances. Hardly Johnson's fault

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_dumfries View Post
    Utter nonsense that he hasn’t signed some of the players.
    I can assure you the club have signed two players that the manager didn’t want, one of which was given a new contract from last season and that’s from the player himself. I am in no way saying the manager should stay. What I am saying is that no matter who is in charge of the team, the same problems will still be there and we won’t be any better off. Until major changes happen at the club at board room level, the problems will always be there

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    I can assure you the club have signed two players that the manager didn’t want, one of which was given a new contract from last season and that’s from the player himself. I am in no way saying the manager should stay. What I am saying is that no matter who is in charge of the team, the same problems will still be there and we won’t be any better off. Until major changes happen at the club at board room level, the problems will always be there

totally agree fatfan ,no point sacking johnstone just for hewitson to replace him with no better quality ,hewitson aint going to sack him and pay over a years wage thats still to go and no way is he going to back a new man with fresh ideas and players he will need ,this current crop are average at best ,for queens to improve action is needed at board level first and more serious ambition injected into the town with will inturn create a hype amongst the population to get them interested in whats going on up at palmy ,atm queens are back to the harkness days when dumfries people seen them as a joke .

Queens played some good football today and their overall performance was a massive improvement on recent weeks. Yet again several missed opportunities has costs us points. Wullie back to where he should be playing and a good performance from Max Johnston in front of him. The big lad from Kilmarnock had by far his best game for Queens. He never gave up.

Perform like that and take our chances and we’ll be okay but the league table doesn’t look good this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    totally agree fatfan ,no point sacking johnstone just for hewitson to replace him with no better quality ,hewitson aint going to sack him and pay over a years wage thats still to go and no way is he going to back a new man with fresh ideas and players he will need ,this current crop are average at best ,for queens to improve action is needed at board level first and more serious ambition injected into the town with will inturn create a hype amongst the population to get them interested in whats going on up at palmy ,atm queens are back to the harkness days when dumfries people seen them as a joke .
    When was the last time you were at Palmerston out of interest Mark ?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_dumfries View Post
    When was the last time you were at Palmerston out of interest Mark ?
    only about 50% of games this season johnny iv seen enough to say this team are bobby average at best even tho it costs me zero to attend i still cant find the motivation to attend the way i used too ,under hewitson has been a total sham queens are stagnant you can predict every season how its going to go ,im same as most dumfries public i want change at palmy to renew my buzz for going ,change at the top with alot more ambition .

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)