+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: AJ - in or out ?

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    What most of us seem to forget is that if we'd taken a draw against Kili on the opening day, - which we should have done; beaten Ayr at Somerset, - which we should have done; beaten Morton at home instead of drawing, - which we should have done, and taken full points yesterday, - which once again we should have done, there would be no debate about the manager's capabilities.

Now, - for those of us who haven't watched Queens this season, I'll say that its been a mixture of bad luck and poor finishing that has lost us the above points, - and we really do need a reality check at the beginning of November.

Yes the manager could and should be making substitutions earlier, - especially when being beaten(or in the case of the Kilmarnock ensuring that 0- 2 did not become 0-4), - but the players should have put many of the above games beyond doubt, and we would now be sitting quite comfortably in the table, - instead of thinking of changing our manager.
    Bottom line is we did lose and draw these games. We were also gubbed against Arbroath, when they finished with 10 men. I disagree with the draw against killie. We defended well but never created a chance of note on our home patch. Inverness away we were thumped and the score line flattered us. And a few forget that although we created a few chances against raith, our keeper also had a few smart saves to make.
    You make your own luck in football and at the moment we are not at the races. Yes we have a decent defence and midfield but like I have said numerous times, we offer nothing up front. The last forward to score was Roy against Patrick but I can’t remember the last forward to score prior to that. And without goals in the side we are going to struggle. And this side certainly doesn’t have goals in it. That is shown with raith, ayr, Morton, etc. Where we have dominated and created chances but haven’t. fine lines and luck have nothing to do with it. Not having a forward line that can score goals is the main problem

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    Bottom line is we did lose and draw these games. We were also gubbed against Arbroath, when they finished with 10 men. I disagree with the draw against killie. We defended well but never created a chance of note on our home patch. Inverness away we were thumped and the score line flattered us. And a few forget that although we created a few chances against raith, our keeper also had a few smart saves to make.
    You make your own luck in football and at the moment we are not at the races. Yes we have a decent defence and midfield but like I have said numerous times, we offer nothing up front. The last forward to score was Roy against Patrick but I can’t remember the last forward to score prior to that. And without goals in the side we are going to struggle. And this side certainly doesn’t have goals in it. That is shown with raith, ayr, Morton, etc. Where we have dominated and created chances but haven’t. fine lines and luck have nothing to do with it. Not having a forward line that can score goals is the main problem
    Good post FatFan and I also think we need a midfield enforcer such as McKenna or Scally plus in my opinion an experienced central defender.

That was not a good post Fatfan, in my humble opinion, and yes, like Francis I am entitled to make such a statement, - or at least that is what you suggest.

If this situation were to continue, - then you would be quite right in what you say, - but I do think we are far too quick to press the panic button and call for the head of the manager. Let's at least wait until Christmas and see if there is a change of luck.

From the games I've watched, - Queens could have scored a barrowload on some occasions, - (even though, like you say the opposition could have done so too) but then again isn't that the whole point of the game?

If, by Christmas, Queens have not turned the corner, - then it would be prudent in the first instance to invest in new players to strengthen the team, as Dunfermline inevitably will in the January window, but please stop shouting for a change of manager as if that were the cure to all our ills. That's where I do agree with Francis, - apart from the initial new manager bounce, - we would be back to square one.

There's a lot of quality and skill in the players we have and the fans can surely see that? The other things that's clearly evident is that the players are giving their all for the shirt and for the manager, - there are no slackers, and everyone is giving 100% for the team, and I applaud them for that.

Not everything in life goes our way, - but as long as we keep plugging away and giving of our best, - then usually (although not always) things will turn out OK.

I think a little bit of patience is required in some quarters, - albeit that if by Christmas the corner has not been turned that appropriate action is taken.

That was not a good post Fatfan, in my humble opinion, and yes, like Francis I am entitled to make such a statement, - or at least that is what you suggest.

If this situation were to continue, - then you would be quite right in what you say, - but I do think we are far too quick to press the panic button and call for the head of the manager. Let's at least wait until Christmas and see if there is a change of luck.

From the games I've watched, - Queens could have scored a barrowload on some occasions, - (even though, like you say the opposition could have done so too) but then again isn't that the whole point of the game?

If, by Christmas, Queens have not turned the corner, - then it would be prudent in the first instance to invest in new players to strengthen the team, as Dunfermline inevitably will in the January window, but please stop shouting for a change of manager as if that were the cure to all our ills. That's where I do agree with Francis, - apart from the initial new manager bounce, - we would be back to square one.

There's a lot of quality and skill in the players we have and the fans can surely see that? The other things that's clearly evident is that the players are giving their all for the shirt and for the manager, - there are no slackers, and everyone is giving 100% for the team, and I applaud them for that.

Not everything in life goes our way, - but as long as we keep plugging away and giving of our best, - then usually (although not always) things will turn out OK.

I think a little bit of patience is required in some quarters, - albeit that if by Christmas the corner has not been turned that appropriate action is taken.
    I see the Tanner Fund have a decent amount raised. More than enough to get a goalscoring striker in place after Christmas. Queens need to use it before they lose it in January.

don’t want to see anyone lose their job but Johnston is under massive pressure now. No idea what the terms of his contract are but they chairman isn’t a silly man. He’ll have something written in it just in case things aren’t going well.

Jardi. Maybe you should read the post again along with my previous post. I am not vindicating the sacking of the manager and I have continually stated that we are solid enough at the back and not to shabby in midfield but no matter what way you look at it, we do not have a great forward line. I have no doubt the effort is there but the quality to finish off the moves has evidently been lacking to date and that has shown in the league position and the lack of goals. My question is this. Is that the fault of the manager or higher up the ladder? Secondly, if the manager is shown the door then who out there is available to take the team forward? Sometimes, like you say, it is more prudent to give the manager time.
    The point I’m making is that it is not bad luck, as you say, that has put us where we are. It’s a lack of quality in the final third with our forward lines inability to convert chances. If this was in one game then it’s bad luck, but when, like you say, is in game after game, then it’s down to ability, or the lack of ability in our case, to take these chances. That is the reason for our league position

I hear what you say Jardi and the players certainly seem to be giving their all for the club so the manager does not appear to lost the dressing room for the time being. However you must concede that the constant changing of formation coupled with player selection and their positions does absolutely nothing for stability which, I would argue, is the greatest hindrance that Queens have as evidenced by their inconsistency so far this season. Giving AJ such a large squad of players to choose from doesn't help him and if you look at the great run we had last season it is no coincidence that it coincided with the squad being depleted through injury and the bench consisting of young, inexperienced reserve team players. The manager has currently too many options to choose from.

Bottom line - the league is much of a muchness in terms of the teams within it. The points and results gathered at the moment are coming down to fine margins and that particular margin with queen's at the moment is putting the ball in the net.

I know footballs not comparable with any other job but if if your job is to score at least semi regularly and you regularly miss a massive target from 2 or 3 yards that's an problem

I totally agree and accept what Fatan and Spike are saying, - but Threefivetwo kind of hit the nail on the head and that's why I'm sticking with "can we wait until Christmas please" because the strikers haven't been 'missing' the target at all, - its the very fine margins that Threefivetwo alludes to, - because we've hit the post and bar on several occasions, - while shots have been cleared off the line, often with the keeper beaten.
    If that hadn't been happening, - then I'd have been with Fatfan and Spike 100%.

What is without question though is that our strikers and for that matter the entire team have to be more ruthless in front of goal, - and that may be (just may be) down to the training regime, - where it is easy to take the foot off the pedal and tap the ball, rather than put the foot through the laces in front of goal in training games.

There may also be a need, (which many have previously mentioned) for the team to train at Palmerston ahead of a home match, to get a feel for the bounce and pace of the ball.

Regardless though, the clock is ticking, and if this scenario were to continue, then proactive measures would have to be taken, however I would give AJ until the Ayr match on the 18th of December to have completely turned things round. It's a bit unreasonable to expect him to go up to Arbroath (who are performing way above their level) this weekend and come back with a result.

It's an emotive issue, - but I really do feel we have to be mindful that we don't allow our emotions to cloud our judgement and sack a manager, without looking at the complete picture, - which for me is have the team been creating a lot of chances? Have they been real chances or just fluke shots? and when you weigh it all up, Queens have been punching very well, - they've just not delivered the knock out blow.
    Last edited by jardi; 11-11-2021 at 02:41 PM.

I totally agree and accept what Fatan and Spike are saying, - but Threefivetwo kind of hit the nail on the head and that's why I'm sticking with "can we wait until Christmas please" because the strikers haven't been 'missing' the target at all, - its the very fine margins that Threefivetwo alludes to, - because we've hit the post and bar on several occasions, - while shots have been cleared off the line, often with the keeper beaten.
    If that hadn't been happening, - then I'd have been with Fatfan and Spike 100%.

What is without question though is that our strikers and for that matter the entire team have to be more ruthless in front of goal, - and that may be (just may be) down to the training regime, - where it is easy to take the foot off the pedal and tap the ball, rather than put the foot through the laces in front of goal in training games.

There may also be a need, (which many have previously mentioned) for the team to train at Palmerston ahead of a home match, to get a feel for the bounce and pace of the ball.

Regardless though, the clock is ticking, and if this scenario were to continue, then proactive measures would have to be taken, however I would give AJ until the Ayr match on the 18th of December to have completely turned things round. It's a bit unreasonable to expect him to go up to Arbroath (who are performing way above their level) this weekend and come back with a result.

It's an emotive issue, - but I really do feel we have to be mindful that we don't allow our emotions to cloud our judgement and sack a manager, without looking at the complete picture, - which for me is have the team been creating a lot of chances? Have they been real chances or just fluke shots? and when you weigh it all up, Queens have been punching very well, - they've just not delivered the knock out blow.
    Jardi. You have completely lost me. If I’m getting you right You seem to say that the current team is just missing some luck in front of goal. That this is not down to the manager but maybe due to the way the training is carried out.
    Well missing chance after chance in one game I would say is bad luck. Missing chance after chance all season as you say isn’t down to bad luck. That’s down to a total inability to put the ball in the net. You also say that this is possibly down to the training. If that’s the case then who is in charge of training.... the manager I would have thought.
    Now don’t get me wrong. Like I said I am not saying the manager should be getting the sack. In fact I wouldn’t mind him staying and improving the side as I don’t see anybody available that would take this side forward, especially working with the conditions he is under with our current regime, but like everyone keeps saying, it’s a results business and at this time qos results aren’t to good so I would imagine the managers coat is on a shoogly peg while the chairman, who, IMO, is behind a lot of what’s went wrong with the club in recent years, continues to hide.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)