+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Alexander

European qualification papers over the cracks, and today's miserable defeat to Celtic fully highlights that. He'll hopefully be gone by Autumn, because nothing has changed and nothing will change. We're rubbish under him.

That’s wishful thinking I reckon. Unless he walks or another club comes in for him then he’s going nowhere anytime soon.

On paper at least he has more than matched his remit, in fact he has exceeded it by quite a distance by qualifying for Europe. In reality though anyone who has watched us this season will know that we are an awful side to watch and are EXTREMELY lucky to have finished where we have especially given our dismal form since the turn of the year.

I fear that by spawnying our way into the top six and Europe that it not only papers over the cracks but it buys the manager even more time than he might otherwise have got should we make a bad start to next season. The summer transfer window will be crucial but I have very little faith in Alexander and our scouting system to bring in the players we need.

Quote Originally Posted by jbwellfan View Post
    European qualification papers over the cracks, and today's miserable defeat to Celtic fully highlights that. He'll hopefully be gone by Autumn, because nothing has changed and nothing will change. We're rubbish under him.
    "Overachieving your goal for the season by miles is papering over the cracks" is one of the most out there takes in Motherwell history. This wasn't a couple of scrambled wins in November, we had two must-win games in business week of the season with a decimated squad, the manager sent the team out with a plan they carried out to the letter and nailed it. Saying anything other than a hearty 'well done' just makes you look bitter about being wrong about this season. I was wrong too btw but I'm delighted about it.

Worrying about today is pointless, we were highly unlikely to get anything in normal circumstances and the preparation had half the squad glued to the toilet all week and the other half drinking and partying until Thursday (allegedly).

Like all managers, regardless of whether they succeed or fail one season, Alexander must build for the next season and he will very quickly be judged on what he gets out the team. But suggesting fifth and European football, over 38 games, isn't more than satisfactory and worthy of celebration is just plain daft.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    That’s wishful thinking I reckon. Unless he walks or another club comes in for him then he’s going nowhere anytime soon.

On paper at least he has more than matched his remit, in fact he has exceeded it by quite a distance by qualifying for Europe. In reality though anyone who has watched us this season will know that we are an awful side to watch and are EXTREMELY lucky to have finished where we have especially given our dismal form since the turn of the year.

I fear that by spawnying our way into the top six and Europe that it not only papers over the cracks but it buys the manager even more time than he might otherwise have got should we make a bad start to next season. The summer transfer window will be crucial but I have very little faith in Alexander and our scouting system to bring in the players we need.
    There's no doubt he needs to develop the system a bit but I would say on recruitment, if you ignore the short-term emergencies, he's no worse than 50-50. And in summer we should not need to sign the 10-12 for a total rebuild as in most recent summers but hopefully focus on five-six higher quality players.

Signing Tierney is the big hope in a way, he needs plenty time to develop obviously but there's no point signing him at all just to lump the ball over his head.

He definitely has a big summer coming up and if he makes a mess of it he'll be in bother. But that applies to every manager in the league. He stopped a relegation express when he took over and got Europe in his first full season - he's more than earned the chance to build on what we've got over summer, both results and performance wise.

I certainly haven’t been happy with a good chunk of the football we have played, which I put partly down to the manager and his tactics and team selections and partly down to the players showing poor control, passing and decision making. However, I found myself thinking what other managers from our division this season would I be happy to see in the Fir Park dugout rather than GA.
    Yes - Gerrard, Van Bronkhurst, Postecoglou
    Maybe - Goodwin, Nielsen, Ross
    No - Mackay, Martindale, Maloney, Glass, Gray, Robertson (although I enjoyed most of his time here), Courts, Davidson, McGhee, McPake
    Obviously, it is unrealistic to think of the OF managers ever being at FP, so that only leaves me with three that I see as realistic alternatives I might be happy with. It doesn’t make me think GA doesn’t have to up his game, but it does make me think there are worse options sitting behind managers’ desks amongst our competitors.

It's also worth pointing out every team had a bad run of varying degrees but:
    United, Motherwell, County, Livingston, kept their manager and did well.
    St J kept faith and survived, Dundee didn't and didn't.
    Aberdeen and Hibs sacked their manager and got worse.
    St Mirren lost their manager and got worse.

Not scientific by any means but a bit of a pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    It's also worth pointing out every team had a bad run of varying degrees but:
    United, Motherwell, County, Livingston, kept their manager and did well.
    St J kept faith and survived, Dundee didn't and didn't.
    Aberdeen and Hibs sacked their manager and got worse.
    St Mirren lost their manager and got worse.

Not scientific by any means but a bit of a pattern.
    The pattern could be that those other teams were just a bit more pi5h than we were? I'll never take to GA ... it's in my genes.

Sure but if we're fundamentally better than a third of the league we're not rushing to sack the manager either.

I don't know if anyone has taken to GA in the usual sense, if there is I've not found them.

I initially posted my negative opinion of Alexander in November 2021, and I still stand by its contents after tonight. He is a clueless, arrogant imposter, and we all saw this defeat coming. Embarrassing.

Will go down as one of our worst managers in the past 15 years.
    I stand by this statement.
    If it weren't for Tony Watt singlehandedly propelling us into 4th position before the winter break, Alexander would not have got a contract extension, and his jacket would currently be on a very shaky peg. Tick-tock, tick-tock.
    2 points from 27 is appalling. Get him in the bin now.
    Yes, 4 points. My counting is as bad as Alexander’s tactics.
    Called it in November. Are we still pretending that I am wrong?
    I wrote this in November and nothing has changed. I smelt a rat back then and I smell a rat now. If he’s not removed, I doubt I’ll be renewing my season ticket and Well Society membership. Take note, Flow.
    If we lose to Ross County next weekend, that will be only 1 win in 16 league games. Disgraceful form. He chops and changes every week. He played a tiny Tierney up front through the middle today, with players pumping balls to his head, and then throws Maugabi at centre forward for the final 10 mins when nothing else works. GA is clueless. This madness should signal the time for fan protests outside Fir Park at the Hearts game in midweek. Securing top 6 has papered over the cracks. It was not and is not the panacea for our troubles, but I fear it has made him teflon. Our performances were generally crap in the first half of the season, but other teams being equally crap and Tony Watt being good helped us secure enough points for safety. The imposter cannot be given another transfer window to condemn our club to becoming permanent relegation fodder. Even if he stays and we slog it out again next season with his crap signings, there is zero entertainment. It's not worth the effort and cost anymore. He's a miserable and negative influence on the club, is about as charismatic and endearing as a haemorrhoid, and the fanbase will diminish. In short, if he stays, I will likely be cancelling my Well Society membership and not renewing my season ticket. I'm not alone in my views. Is Flow listening?

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    We are simply a completely ineffective team. We have no goal threat, no craft or guile, a weak midfield and a defence which is liable to concede any time pressure is put on it.

I’m sick of saying it but we need a complete overhaul both on and off the park. The fact that we simply didn’t get relegated and spawned our way into the top six by default of the majority of the rest of the league being just as bad as we are only papers over the cracks, but no doubt will be enough to satisfy many within the club.
    I posted this back in April in this thread and now, at the beginning of the new season, nothing has changed. We are still a completely ineffective team. We still carry no goal threat, no craft or guile, a weak midfield and a defence liable to concede goals any time it comes under pressure.

Quite simply, NOTHING has been done by the manager and the scouting dept to address these glaring issues over the summer and that is totally unacceptable. And even after our latest debacle on Thursday night we still get this arrogant imposter of a manager trying to tell the support that black is white and that we played good football on the night.

Us sneaking into the top six and Europe last season could very well do us more harm than good in the long run, because as I said at the time it just papered over the cracks and will have satisfied those running the club.

Quite simply, regardless of what happens in Sligo next week, Graham Alexander has to go and if he won’t walk away then Alan Burrows and the board need to step up and take the decision out of his hands. Otherwise the support will vote with their feet and I fear we will be playing lower league football come August 2023.

Alexander out.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)