+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FA cup

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    When is 3rd round draw ? Make best of us being in Round 3 this time, Ittul be a long time before it happens again !way things are ,
    3rd round draw is on Monday neet mi owd. Thuz a 2nd round match on ITV4 Monday evening and draw teks place after. A used to really look forrard to 3rd round draw back int day but it's not same ennymooar since competition got devalued.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    3rd round draw is on Monday neet mi owd. Thuz a 2nd round match on ITV4 Monday evening and draw teks place after. A used to really look forrard to 3rd round draw back int day but it's not same ennymooar since competition got devalued.
    thanks Pass , arr 3rd round draw hafe twelve monday dinnertime on wireless , ivvrything stopped forrit , shud bi a cracker tuneet Rovrum v Stockpoort ,

Yeah I remember listening to the radio on a few occasions in the 80s, for the next round draw.
    Arsenal away in the 5th round in '87 springs to mind. 👍
    But I also think these days that its not the same anymore, unless we can reach the 5th round or beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Yeah I remember listening to the radio on a few occasions in the 80s, for the next round draw.
    Arsenal away in the 5th round in '87 springs to mind. 👍
    But I also think these days that its not the same anymore, unless we can reach the 5th round or beyond.
    I never had the pleasure of listening to a radio broadcast of the cup draw. However, I used to love teletext for football info. Mi first memory of seeing the result of the cup draw was gerrin ooam from schooil on a Monday and eagerly banging teletext or ceefax on to find out who we'd been drawn against. Those were the days!

Ahh I was so excited when we got our new telly then, and it had Ceefax on the Bbc and Oracle on Itv.
    I could spend ages just looking at and studying the league tables.
    And then the internet happened, which is another subject altogether innit lol.

I still get the FA cup up until the possibly the fifth round when at that stage most of the underdogs are out along with the romance .

I've seen some extremely poor season's rescued by the FA cup as Acido as alluded to in 1987 when we were rock bottom of the old second division going in to the new year .

Machin's mob in 1990 took us to the fifth round despite our league position and three titanic games against the Blunts .

The third round win at Leicester with 3k reds in the away end was just about one of the best atmospheres I've ever been part off .

The Plymouth fourth round tie in 94 is the stuff of legend at Home Park .

Again another bad league season but 2k followed us on a 600 mile round trip in that away end .

What a trip that was , we arrived at 7am on Saturday morning straight from the Friday night out and travelled through the night .

Gerry Taggart with a late equaliser to earn a replay right in front of us .

Christ I'd die supping like that today .

Great memories though .

That's what the FA cup is all about , memories .

I've seen us in every round bar the final , that's perhaps another story mind .

Just look at how many times we've lost in the 5th round, that has always been the biggest stumbling block for us.
    Southampton away at the old Dell stadium in '85, was one of the few times we won in that round.
    Remember Oldham away on their appalling sandy pitch in '94. Somehow they got to the Semis that season, which we could have done because the Qtrs tie was a very winnable one away at Bolton.

Putting out Liverpool and Chelsea and losing to Cardiff City in the semi final is a monkey on my back I've never got rid of .

In many ways we got the wrong draw and I so wish we'd preserved our underdog status and drawn Portsmouth or WBA .

Just to see us walk out at Wembley in an FA cup final would have completed me as as Tyke .

It was the most disappointing day for me personally that day in 2008 .

We'd never get a better opportunity and I came away from Wembley knowing it .

I was gutted in the 2000 Play Off final against Ipswich but at least we'd had a season in the PL .

That semi final against Cardiff was gut wrenching .

They were hardly any better than us on the day .

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Just look at how many times we've lost in the 5th round, that has always been the biggest stumbling block for us.
    Southampton away at the old Dell stadium in '85, was one of the few times we won in that round.
    Remember Oldham away on their appalling sandy pitch in '94. Somehow they got to the Semis that season, which we could have done because the Qtrs tie was a very winnable one away at Bolton.
    Yes we had a decent Cup pedigree in the 90s. To my recollection we reached the 5th Rd in 90, 5th Rd in 93, 5th Rd in 94, quarters in 98 and quarters in 99. Not bad for a small town club. Some o them away trips were epic as Animal has already said.

Jeez, when tha thinks o that Cup run in 98- we laiked 4 fellow Premiership clubs and were drawn as the away team in 3 of them Bolton(h) Spurs (a) Man United (a) Newcastle (a) That's as tough a draw as it comes for ennybugga in any season. If we'd have managed to overcome Newcastle then we had a semi final clash with the Championship Blunts at Old Trafford in the offing. I still genuinely think we could've gone all the way to the final that season.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Yes we had a decent Cup pedigree in the 90s. To my recollection we reached the 5th Rd in 90, 5th Rd in 93, 5th Rd in 94, quarters in 98 and quarters in 99. Not bad for a small town club. Some o them away trips were epic as Animal has already said.

Jeez, when tha thinks o that Cup run in 98- we laiked 4 fellow Premiership clubs and were drawn as the away team in 3 of them Bolton(h) Spurs (a) Man United (a) Newcastle (a) That's as tough a draw as it comes for ennybugga in any season. If we'd have managed to overcome Newcastle then we had a semi final clash with the Championship Blunts at Old Trafford in the offing. I still genuinely think we could've gone all the way to the final that season.
    Ashley Ward one on one to level it up at 2-2 at SJP that day Pass and who knows from that point on ? .

Shearer gets Adie Moses sent off and Batty scores with the last kick of the game to make it 3-1 .

As you say it was an opportunity that didn't go our way that day .

As shyte as it is today mate we've a back catalogue none the less for a small town in SY mate .

Sometimes we forget what we've seen , we've knocked Man Utd , Spurs , Chelsea and Liverpool out of the FA cup in modern times .

Feckin hell !!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast