+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FA cup

I know we played a very high back line that day at Newcastle in '98, and the offside trap went against us twice.
    I had to laugh at Dalglish when asked if one or both of the goals were marginally offside or not. He said with a grin "theres no marginal about it, your either offside or not!".

And then you've got the likes of Shearer cheating and diving (Chris Waddle called it experience, and Barry Davies called it gamesmanship). He kept getting free kicks and he got Moses sent off, and thats what angers me the most about that match.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Ashley Ward one on one to level it up at 2-2 at SJP that day Pass and who knows from that point on ? .

Shearer gets Adie Moses sent off and Batty scores with the last kick of the game to make it 3-1 .

As you say it was an opportunity that didn't go our way that day .

As shyte as it is today mate we've a back catalogue none the less for a small town in SY mate .

Sometimes we forget what we've seen , we've knocked Man Utd , Spurs , Chelsea and Liverpool out of the FA cup in modern times .

Feckin hell !!
    Superb innit when tha thinks abart it. I've been very fortunate in my 30 odd years watching us. More ups than downs. 3 play off finals (won 2) JPT win, Cup runs galore, Premiership. The best though was the entire 96/97 league campaign- Never to be surpassed imo. 18 year owd and bart a care in world apart from BFC. Went to nearly every game that season despite my humble wage packet at the time yet had a whale of a time. Back then I always wished I had more income but looking back it was all the scraping by and ducking and diving which made the awaydays that bit more special. I just didn't appreciate it at the time. Needless to say that the football served up that season was an absolute treat. That Bradford finale was undoubtedly the highest I've ever been as I expect everybody else was who was lucky enough to witness the events that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I know we played a very high back line that day at Newcastle in '98, and the offside trap went against us twice.
    I had to laugh at Dalglish when asked if one or both of the goals were marginally offside or not. He said with a grin "theres no marginal about it, your either offside or not!".

And then you've got the likes of Shearer cheating and diving (Chris Waddle called it experience, and Barry Davies called it gamesmanship). He kept getting free kicks and he got Moses sent off, and thats what angers me the most about that match.
    Newcastle were scared about that match , and allegedly pulled a few stunts off field to knock some confidence out of our team , they also split the Reds fan's into 4 different parts of the ground to minimise the noise, good day out though, dodgy decisions ! And a flattering scoreline for the Geordies , anyone know how many fans we took there ?

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Newcastle were scared about that match , and allegedly pulled a few stunts off field to knock some confidence out of our team , they also split the Reds fan's into 4 different parts of the ground to minimise the noise, good day out though, dodgy decisions ! And a flattering scoreline for the Geordies , anyone know how many fans we took there ?
    I think it was around 6k Roma , over 200 coaches and a reight bugga to find after the match .

9k travelled to Old Trafford in the fifth round in 98 .

What an atmosphere that was .

Yes, incredible really thinking back

15th February , Great weekend , we were down in Northamptonshire for my Nephew's Wedding on the 14th, hottest Valentine's Day on record I'm told ?, Long drive up on Sunday morning, atmosphere as hot as the previous days weather , you just knew we weren't going to get hammered like we did a few month's earlier , was it a penalty on Liddel ? Should we have won on the day ? Definitely in both case's , the sight of Super John's little legs when he scored , Every Red behind that goal were sucking the ball into the net ♥ The replay was equally as good , another Superb Atmosphere and a well deserved victory ♥♥♥ ♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    15th February , Great weekend , we were down in Northamptonshire for my Nephew's Wedding on the 14th, hottest Valentine's Day on record I'm told ?, Long drive up on Sunday morning, atmosphere as hot as the previous days weather , you just knew we weren't going to get hammered like we did a few month's earlier , was it a penalty on Liddel ? Should we have won on the day ? Definitely in both case's , the sight of Super John's little legs when he scored , Every Red behind that goal were sucking the ball into the net ♥ The replay was equally as good , another Superb Atmosphere and a well deserved victory ♥♥♥ ♡♡
    Even Fergie said it was a penalty and when did that ever happen ?

Which is why in the replay our first goal stood because Hendrie was at least two years offside in my opinion and the ref levelled it up .

Back then I was working in Jakarta and I went for lunch to my local pub and was walking back to my office when I got a call to say we had beaten MU, I nearly turned back to celebrate!!!

Local newspapers a day behind on the results then, expensive phone calls or a fax was the communication back then

Me and a mate were on about a Cup tie against today's visitors Huddersfield , "5 Times Title Winners ?" Early 60s a replay at Oakwell on a Wednesday afternoon ? A big crowd and the visitors had some Top Players, After Bobby Wood ( good midfielder no4 ) had given us the lead , Town turned into a team of mardy brawlers ," we can't lose to barnsley attitude " it all boiled over when Ray Wilson the soon to be England World Cup winner, deliberately smashed the ball into the crowd hitting a young lad smack in the face hospitalising him , Wilson was fortunate that many angry fans didn't get near him , a 1-0 win and we progressed to round 6 eventually losing to Leicester City ,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast