+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farke off Colin W*nker

Farke off Colin W*nker

Both sacked yesterday after their respective win and draw.

Dean Smith too...gone from Villa. Madness imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Dean Smith too...gone from Villa. Madness imo.
    Farke I can understand, whilst not as clueless as when Derby were last in the prem, his record suggests he hasn't a clue as to how to use the team he has to best effect, seems to just play as they did in the champ and expect the same results. Also Norwich had actually backed him with signings this time, so unavoidable I'd say and the fact they scaked him after winning against Brentford, suggests they have a plan.

Dean Smith? maybe less so but footballs a results game. mind you Derby have sacked managers even when the team is doing well especially under Morris's ownership, in fact his managerial merry go round has been one of the things that I found odd.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Farke I can understand, whilst not as clueless as when Derby were last in the prem, his record suggests he hasn't a clue as to how to use the team he has to best effect, seems to just play as they did in the champ and expect the same results. Also Norwich had actually backed him with signings this time, so unavoidable I'd say and the fact they scaked him after winning against Brentford, suggests they have a plan.

Dean Smith? maybe less so but footballs a results game. mind you Derby have sacked managers even when the team is doing well especially under Morris's ownership, in fact his managerial merry go round has been one of the things that I found odd.
    My mind went straight to Paul Clement. His last 7 League games saw 3 draws and 4 defeats although we did have 51 points from 31 games that season up to that point. The only win from the turn of the year had been against Hartlepool in the Cup. The football had been dire but somewhat accepted due to the points haul. Once the wins stopped, it was almost inevitable he'd go. Morris and PC had regular meetings to discuss how he was measuring up to the KPI's Mel had set him. He was constantly missing out on developing the "style", playing entertaining football and utilising the Academy. Mel accepted it because of the results. Once the results went........

This raises the question of whether you can apply KPI's to football management in the way you can in "normal" business? You probably can't but Mel did. It doesn't seem to have produced the required result.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    My mind went straight to Paul Clement. His last 7 League games saw 3 draws and 4 defeats although we did have 51 points from 31 games that season up to that point. The only win from the turn of the year had been against Hartlepool in the Cup. The football had been dire but somewhat accepted due to the points haul. Once the wins stopped, it was almost inevitable he'd go. Morris and PC had regular meetings to discuss how he was measuring up to the KPI's Mel had set him. He was constantly missing out on developing the "style", playing entertaining football and utilising the Academy. Mel accepted it because of the results. Once the results went........

This raises the question of whether you can apply KPI's to football management in the way you can in "normal" business? You probably can't but Mel did. It doesn't seem to have produced the required result.
    My experience of KPI's is that often they lead to behaviour which is aimed at meeting them rather than what's best for the business and one can spend too much time and money on calculating and monitoring them which would be better spent on something that's productive.

Thats not to say KPI's aren't useful, but the emphasis should be on the word key!

I'm sure KPI's can be applied to football management, with Clement, it seemed tome that Mel thought he could develop the "Derby Way" whatever that means, whereas yes fans want entertaining football, but also want success, sometimes its not possible to achieve both and in the main football is about results.

Problem was Clement appeared to be missing all of his KPI's except point garnering up to the turn of the year. After the turn he missed that one as well.

Well thats hard to say seeing as we don't know definitively what his KPI's were, or even if they existed, Mel, seems to say what we wants when it suits him!

All teams go through a dip in form, Mel clearly didn't understand that, now its also clear, that Mel hadn't much of a clue about football, so not sure how he can set KPI's in a subject he isn't technically proficient in. Although thats also an experience of mine, being set KP's by some asshole who hadn't a clue what he was talking about, didn't like it when I told him, liked it less when I walked and he had to pay me out!

Its also clear that mel hadn't a clue about football finance either. Should have stuck to gaming.

I wonder what metrics Mel used for "The Derby Way"? Makes me cringe even just typing that.

The Derby Way!
    We should have realised then that Mel was in Cloud Cuckoo Land!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    The Derby Way!
    We should have realised then that Mel was in Cloud Cuckoo Land!
    Lol! The ‘Derby Way’! Seems to have meant...a new manager every season...too many poor signings of seriously overpaid players...unrealistic ambition...and a complete lack of accountability from the club’s owner. The sooner we have a complete root and branch change to that particular ‘Derby Way’ the better.

I’m also not sure what he got his CBE for either. ‘Services to industry and charity’? Really?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 11-11-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)