+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smith sacked......

thank you Dean you gave us a team we could believe in again. best wishes for the future.

The Guardian - "an impressive first season back in the top flight", "getting to the final of last season's" league cup. Wrong on both counts.

Gutted it hasn't worked out for him over the longer term, best manager we have had for a long time and made being a Villan feel good again. I hope the players take a look at themselves as some of them have not been at it for their boss, unfortunately football is a cruel mistress where you can be 2-0 up with 11 minutes left during a decent run of games having lost your best player and be sacked less than a month later. At least it hasn't reached a stage where the atmosphere at VP became toxic, time will tell if it was the right decision.

Thanks for the memories Deano - you gave us plenty of great moments, one of our own.

Who ever comes in better hit the road running, because there will be many Villa fans like me who are very angry with Deano’s sacking and it could turn very toxic very soon if results don’t turn around.

I feel the person who sanctioned buying Ings instead of a central midfielder should take the brunt of the blame. it was a sop to stop the fans moaning about Grealish going, a feel good signing. but he filled a spot we didn't need filling. we desperately need a cm enforcer.
    Similarly with Bailey we now have two wingers who can't defend... pretty sure these buys were sanctioned higher up the food chain.

Seems like the General concensus is that most villa fans are shocked and feel sorry for Smith. I feel most fans wanted to give him more time but is that, would that have been wise.
    It was rumoured weeks ago about Gerrard, No smoke without fire. I do feel that the club have sounded out a new manager otherwise sacking Deano would turn out to be a bad, very bad move. The spotlight is now on Purslow, whoever comes in needs to be better than what we had.
    Ps Shaky gone as well so no stand in role for him.....we need this new man in by Friday at the latest!

The appointment does indeed need to be soon or we'll be rooted in the bottom 3, Palace in fine form and Brighton although winless in 6 are well able to beat us.

Whoever it is there are no guarantees of success, VAR, Covid, injuries, suspensions, not to mention chemistry with the players who themselves need to put a shift in every game. The harder you try the luckier you get - I do think a fully fit squad would have us top 10.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)