+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 23 and under players.

Bringing players in too early is far worse than delaying them by half a season. We got Harrison effectively 3 seasons ago, he was in Citeh's U23s.... Maybe off the boil a bit at mo but how many of our U23's 3 seasons ago were at his level then? That's what playing at elite level can do.
    The Premiership is much tougher than the Championship, looking at the 23's some good players if a little inconsistent if you look at the U23 matches. Many of our young players are on international duty so am sure the club knows full well their value and when to blood them... the PL is littered with a history of young "next big things" brought in too early and nowhere near the PL when they should have been in their prime: Reece Oxford (W Ham), Harvey Elliott (Fulham), Gary McSheffrey (Coventry), Josh McEachran (Chelsea) Michael Johnson (Citeh) Ravel Morrison/ John Bostock/ Macheda (Scum), Francis Jeffers/ Danny Cadamarteri (Everton)
    Last edited by whitestomper45; 11-11-2021 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    All I know in the world of sport is to be the best you have to play the best. That's what makes players learn from the best. I was talking about playing full games not cameo appearances like Creswells 1 minute introduction as to how on earth you count that as giving a kid game time. As to us being number 1 in playing ****agers what a lot of crap as naming me how many games they have started and not talking about the regular squad players PAt and Shak?
    I have a feeling most here do not understand how developing a player works. My understanding is you develop them if they are good enough they join the main group if not they are cast aside.
    We are casting them aside even though they are better than what we may be playing. F me spend 25 mil for what? Harrison and James 40 mil there tell me what a couple under 23s cant do that they do given a chance.
    Your point was big teams are playing under 21 players and not just cameo appearances. They're not. Your example of Chelsea the kids they're playing are 22 and there's 2, one who is 22 and one who is 21, exactly same as us with Struijk and Meslier.

So you saying we aren't number 1 in paying ****agers is nonsensical as we are, we give them more minutes than any club. It just seems to me like you want to criticise the club on something you've imagined and ignore the actual facts. There is one club playing a lot of kids and that is Arsenal who have spent a fortune on them.

Agreed - and playing lots of kids over the last 15 years hasn’t always gone well for them.

We have identified and bought good young talent. Bielsa now seems to rightly want to nurture it rather than waste it by putting on too much pressure too early - seems sensible to me.

This season we have played despite some thinking they would get zero minutes

Gelhardt
    Greenwood
    Summerville
    McInstry
    Drameh
    Cresswell

Noting that Shackleton and Struijk play regularly and are also from the academy.

We have a lot out on loan as they won’t get first team exposure here so again a good way of progressing them - Bogusz, McAlmont and Poveda seem to be doing pretty well.

On a different note Helda Costa seems to be getting more game time and playing well so hopefully for all concerned they will buy him at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    Your point was big teams are playing under 21 players and not just cameo appearances. They're not. Your example of Chelsea the kids they're playing are 22 and there's 2, one who is 22 and one who is 21, exactly same as us with Struijk and Meslier.

So you saying we aren't number 1 in paying ****agers is nonsensical as we are, we give them more minutes than any club. It just seems to me like you want to criticise the club on something you've imagined and ignore the actual facts. There is one club playing a lot of kids and that is Arsenal who have spent a fortune on them.
    No, what I'm getting at once fully fit the side will consist of one yes one under 23 Meslier.
    You and some others don't see it but you will.
    We already see the decline of some eg Klitch and we see the same old Harrison Cooper Roberts and the edition of crap Firpo James (Man U so us coming).
    Forgive me if I see the future elsewhere aS THE CURRENT SITUATION does do much for me but hey I just follow the team they pay the wages and they can do what they like.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Agreed - and playing lots of kids over the last 15 years hasn’t always gone well for them.

We have identified and bought good young talent. Bielsa now seems to rightly want to nurture it rather than waste it by putting on too much pressure too early - seems sensible to me.

This season we have played despite some thinking they would get zero minutes

Gelhardt
    Greenwood
    Summerville
    McInstry
    Drameh
    Cresswell

Noting that Shackleton and Struijk play regularly and are also from the academy.

We have a lot out on loan as they won’t get first team exposure here so again a good way of progressing them - Bogusz, McAlmont and Poveda seem to be doing pretty well.

On a different note Helda Costa seems to be getting more game time and playing well so hopefully for all concerned they will buy him at the end of the season.
    You forgot Kiko who has been the best of the lot might as well profit on Meslier now and bring him back

Sam Greenwood (19), called up to the England U21's, has previously played u17,18,19,20..

Well done son

Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    Sam Greenwood (19), called up to the England U21's, has previously played u17,18,19,20..

Well done son

Saw that too, agree with you stomps…..well done Sam lad

👍 have high hopes he will break through to the first team and get some minutes too

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    👍 have high hopes he will break through to the first team and get some minutes too
    Apparently our main striker is injured at the minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    Apparently our main striker is injured at the minute.
    We have someone who got injured whilst on strike and picketing? - who knew the self employed could strike 😆😆

Back on track - I know but they seem to be training him to play CAM - maybe Greenwood in and Robert’s out

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)