+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Injury updates

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Finan View Post
    Have to say I agree with this. Pawlett can change games.
    He can also do fcuk all for weeks, albeit carrying some niggling injuries seemingly. Hmmm...

In saying that, at times he does produce a wee bit of what is required

Really, really hope, he gets a good injury free pre-season, loses a few pund, and offers us something we are sadly missing. (yet again)

Shows how poor we are in strength in depth when we're actually missing guys like Pawlett, Harkes etc who themselves get slated on an almost weekly basis by a lot of fans.

It's going to be a hard summer for the recruitment team. We clearly need to strengthen but we also need to continue with the cost cutting measures. We got away with that in January such is the standard of the league right now, but with the SSB'S and Hibs to be well backed financially in the summer, I can't see the competition being so poor next season. Certainly not the SSB's.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Shows how poor we are in strength in depth when we're actually missing guys like Pawlett, Harkes etc who themselves get slated on an almost weekly basis by a lot of fans.

It's going to be a hard summer for the recruitment team. We clearly need to strengthen but we also need to continue with the cost cutting measures. We got away with that in January such is the standard of the league right now, but with the SSB'S and Hibs to be well backed financially in the summer, I can't see the competition being so poor next season. Certainly not the SSB's.
    Hibs were well backed last summer, Sheep spent plenty too. Perhaps their recruitment was worse than ours?

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post
    Hibs were well backed last summer, Sheep spent plenty too. Perhaps their recruitment was worse than ours?
    True but Goodwin is a far better manager than Glass. I doubt he'll be buying dumplings like JET. Maloney have my doubts over, hence my last sentence.

I think the most important man we need is someone up top to finish off the good creative work that Tony Watt puts in. But the proven article in that dept does not come cheap.

So, I think the club are going to have to spend a bit to improve us.

Obviously, it's not the only position that needs filled. We need a creator in midfield. Barry Robson or GMS type.

Maybe one of the young lads can step up and seize their chance like Ross Graham has done.

[QUOTE=tHeArAb;40021620]Shows how poor we are in strength in depth when we're actually missing guys like Pawlett, Harkes etc who themselves get slated on an almost weekly basis by a lot of fans.

That just about sum's up this current United side,i'm sure no one would disagree its the worst in Premier League history which has ever sat in 4th place and made the top 6.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    That just about sum's up this current United side,i'm sure no one would disagree its the worst in Premier League history which has ever sat in 4th place and made the top 6.
    Yup, so credit has to be given to Tam for getting us where we are. I'd also say the same for Mellon last season. It's clear neither have had much say in what options they were given when it comes to signing players. I think its safe to say the recruitment team, and in some cases the Sporting Director, are the ones who deliver the players for the positions the management has identified as requiring improvement. Of the two managers, what players can we say with any great confidence, were 100% the managers signings? I'd say Edwards for Mellon & Mulgrew for Courts. Two players who have been outstanding for us. It's definitely been a case of pishing with the c*ck you've got/have been given for both managers to an extent. I understand this is the model most clubs are using now, so maybe our recruitment team need to up their game somewhat to give the manager a better chance of achieving what he wants on the pitch.

Think covid has depressed a lot of folk, many of our fans are now more interested in pointing out that we poor or don't deserve to be where we are or are lucky other teams are poor and that kind of stupid stuff than be happy with the progress of the club and give credit where its due

Sad to see

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Think covid has depressed a lot of folk, many of our fans are now more interested in pointing out that we poor or don't deserve to be where we are or are lucky other teams are poor and that kind of stupid stuff than be happy with the progress of the club and give credit where its due

Sad to see
    Some United fans choose to look at our current squad realistically. Yes, we have had a good season and it's brilliant to see us in 4th place but we won't get away with this next season with some of the players we have at present. We have to move forward and scrapping for a top six place, playing some poor football and scraping draws again'st sh1t teams isn't the future I am looking for. More ambition and more guts and determination along with a good footballing ethos is the way ahead for our club at all levels, including the fans.
    You are right about taking the positives out of our current position but we also have to look and plan ahead.

P.S. Your posts would be more acceptable if you stopped using snidey digs such as the above regarding Covid and depression.

The whole basis of my posts is the bigger picture, has been for ages, I doubt anyone at the club doesn't think they have to continue to improve, I disagree this is the weakest league for years though as I've witnessed quite a few weaker years without having to think long about it, certainly the most competitive where there's isn't much between most teams.. It's a cut throat league with 5 teams with bigger budgets than us, all striving for the same, not an easy league by any means, hearts are ahead of the pack as they have the extra gap in budget even compared to the sheep and hibs plus a solid coaching team

Even next season of we are improved we will be battling for one of three top six spots available as Hearts are certainties for the near future with the benefactor and foundation of hearts etc, getting in our second season back is good going, especially with how streamlined our squad is now compared to the early part of the season, even if we don't get Europe it's still progress but getting it would be a huge boost and avoids League Cup group stage

Just wish there was more positivity about it, ok we we aren't scoring lots of goals etc, so what, that will come in time, we have accumulated the points by being better defensively and harder to beat than the rest, think TC deserves huge credit for how he has went about things

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)