+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on your DCFC Xmas List?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    All the above is fine but Santa doesn't reward greedy buggers

I'd ask for a wide player who can cross the ball at least half as good as Alan Hinton
    I don't think Beckham is likely to come out of retirement!

Ballsy prediction there Swaledale, can't say I'd disagree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Wow...has anyone ever predicted a managerial sacking up to 13 months before the possible event?

Could well be right though and the point about it being easier to maintain dignity when you have nothing to lose is also a fair one.

Can’t help noticing that Rooney now has a significantly worse managerial record, over a similar period, than his much maligned predecessor. Also worth pointing out, perhaps...we often seem to have started matches well only to be out thought (managed?) in the second half.
    The obvious exception to this was away at Coventry when, in the ultimate game of two halves, we were outclassed in the first half but probably deserved to win in the second. Maybe not just coincidence that Liam Rosenior was in charge that afternoon.
    There is a consistent theme in that the team seems to only manage to play decently in one half! I'm still puzzled as to why when we had two keepers and were limited on squad players, we signed another keeper instead of an outfield player, especially a striker, maybe the hope was that Marshall would go and we'd get his wages off the books but that was a gamble and I don't think Roos or Allsopp are upgrades.

Anyway heres hoping we get decent owners with good funding by Xmas and have hope as the club rebuilds in the New Year, mean while think of the exciting journey League 1 will be!

Very funny.
    Take it from me, that league is anything but exciting.
    You think the football now is dire? Wait till you get dragged down to the level of clubs like Morecombe and Shrewsbury, away on a Tuesday night.
    Hoof ball and kicking lumps out of each other.
    Refs and lino's just missing a white cane and labrador. I know they are bad in the Championship, but its like Serie A compared to it.
    I can honestly say it was worst time of my 50 years following NFFC.
    You cannot stay in that division for your own sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    There is a consistent theme in that the team seems to only manage to play decently in one half! I'm still puzzled as to why when we had two keepers and were limited on squad players, we signed another keeper instead of an outfield player, especially a striker, maybe the hope was that Marshall would go and we'd get his wages off the books but that was a gamble and I don't think Roos or Allsopp are upgrades.

Anyway heres hoping we get decent owners with good funding by Xmas and have hope as the club rebuilds in the New Year, mean while think of the exciting journey League 1 will be!
    I don’t know what it is about goalkeepers and Derby, Swale. Of our current three I think you’re right...we probably expected to get Marshall’s presumably substantial wages off the bill with what seemed a quite likely summer move to Celtic.
    I don’t think there’s much to choose between the current bunch of three. All capable of great shot stopping but all equally likely to come up with initiative surrendering howlers.
    It seems to have been like that for ever...Carson was just the same...Fielding too...and, when you think of how much we’ve spent on keepers over the last decade or so and how many changes we’ve seen, I’m not sure we’ve ever come up with anyone that has actually been consistently any better than the two L’s...Grant and Camp.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 12-11-2021 at 10:42 AM.

I don’t know what it is about goalkeepers and Derby, Swale. Of our current three I think you’re right...we probably expected to get Marshall’s presumably substantial wages off the bill with what seemed a quite likely summer move to Celtic.
    I don’t think there’s much to choose between the current bunch of three. All capable of great shot stopping but all equally likely to come up with initiative surrendering howlers.
    It seems to have been like that for ever...Carson was just the same...Fielding too...and, when you think of how much we’ve spent on keepers over the last decade or so and how many changes we’ve seen, I’m not sure we’ve ever come up with anyone that has actually been consistently any better than the two L’s...Grant and Camp.
    Ah those were the days, when Lee or Lee kept goal! Funny about Carson, again can only think it was wages that led to us loaning him out, though that financial ruse clearly didn't work!

I’m not sure we’ve ever come up with anyone that has actually been consistently any better than the two L’s...Grant and Camp.
    You don't go back far enough rA, Colin Boulton was an outstanding keeper for years

You don't go back far enough rA, Colin Boulton was an outstanding keeper for years
    Lil Les was fine until that Boxing Day disaster.......... never played for Derby again. Opened the door for Boulton.

Here's a list of some of our keepers during my time of being a Ram. The ones I really rated are in bold

Reg Matthews
    Les Green
    Colin Boulton
    Peter Shilton
    Mart Poom
    Lee Grant
    Lee Camp

Bywater
    Fielding
    Carroll
    Butland
    Carson
    Hamer
    Marshall
    Roos
    Allsop

Those not in bold aren't bad keepers, just not the quality, IMO, of the ones who are.

One you missed, but possibly saw play in Cloggieland................Brad Jones. Definitely not in bold, although I did see his keep a clean sheet away at QPR

Unfortunately he’s also 76! My point was that Grant and Camp remain only a shade older than Marshall and still wouldn’t be the oldest in the current side.

Can’t believe you didn’t include Martin Taylor, MA. The most underrated ‘keeper I’ve seen at Derby. I loved his commitment and, although he’d probably have to rely more on filling the goal than his athleticism and bravery these days, he’s definitely worthy of bold print.
    Russell Hoult was better than anything we’ve had recently too, imo.

I did say SOME of our keepers, so not a comprehensive list, but missing Taylor out was a mistake as he was very good and Jones wasn't a disaster either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)