+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on your DCFC Xmas List?

What's on your DCFC Xmas List?

We're now into November when teams start to gauge expectations for the season, sack managers, and in Nott's case, book their seats for Wembley. But how do you feel right now, and (aside from the obvious take over / financial stability aspect) would you like for the new year?

For me, looking at Rooney's tenure, the "stats always tell the truth" as stated in another thread. He's bought himself a bit of extra time with his dignity in the face of adversity from the clubs management, and deserves some respect for that. Perhaps not so much dignity in his hotel scouting missions or 2 footing his own players in training. He's been lucky that his name has given him a bit of protection, as it adds to the glamour for outside interest, and perhaps clouds the judgement of some younger fans. He is also extremely lucky to not have relegated us, and also that we cannot afford to sack him. In any other circumstances, he would have been sacked long ago.

1st on my Xmas list, is for Villa / Man U / A N Other prem club to snap him up, meaning we don't need to sack him and can find someone more capable / knowledgeable of 2nd / 3rd tier, preferably someone without the media spotlight.

In respect of the squad, we are obviously a little tied in terms of embargos, but we could really do with a midfield general. It's nice to wait for Bielic, but there's no guarantee of his return being successful, or that he will be a regular. It doesn't need to be anyone top class, we can scout the lower leagues / Scotland for someone, but just someone who is happy to put their foot on the ball, do the simple things, and calm things down now and again. A striker would also be nice, but I don't expect much here! It's also time we cashed in on players who aren't turning up with the goods, Lawrence (much as I rate him) and Joswiak, are luxuries we can't afford, and perhaps we should be looking at a squad that will be competitive in League 1. A decent keeper wouldn't go amiss either, surely we can find someone better than our current crop on a free / loan?

2nd, 3rd and 4th on my Xmas list, is for a solid central midfielder, a keeper who can do the basics well, and to move on some of our "not at the races" players.

How about you?

I think a goal would be a nice find at the bottom of Santa's sack. More than one would be even nicer, but maybe the second one can be an Easter present.

Takeover sorted before December 31st.

Financial room, and permission from the EFL, to buy/loan players and/or free agents and also be allowed to have more than 23 "players of professional standing" so lads like Cashin can get a look in. Enough so we can rotate and rest players when needed rather than pushing them to the point where a hamstring or other body part goes on strike.

Making a go of it and, if we don't avoid the drop, be in with a shout of staying up, up to the last day.

Some more decent football. I've been pleasantly surprised by what we've seen most games this season, but not all.

The above is the best we can wish for IMO.

Get all of the above and I'll be satisfied. Staying up would be a very welcome bonus.

Good post, Ramshank...if a little premature.
    Your thoughts on Rooney are interesting in that you’re certainly quite ‘unfashionably’ critical of him.
    Statistically he is on a par with the likes of Colin Todd, Paul Jewell, Phil Brown and Nigel Pearson in terms of win rate % which would suggest he should soon be off...but, as I’ve suggested elsewhere, statistics don’t tell the whole story and the circumstances he’s had to deal with have been quite extraordinary.
    Personally I’m undecided on whether he’s the right man for the job but I wouldn’t be looking to get rid right now.
    Beyond that...a decent reliable keeper, midfield general and goal scorer are what we all know we’ve needed for a long time now.
    Whether we stand any chance of getting them given our current plight is very debatable, but I’d settle for MA’s opening two ‘presents’ on Santa’s list together with an assurance that, wherever we start next season, that’s it...the EFL punishment beatings are over.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 10-11-2021 at 01:33 PM.

All the above is fine but Santa doesn't reward greedy buggers

I'd ask for a wide player who can cross the ball at least half as good as Alan Hinton

If you get your wish, I might get mine, maybe?

Agreed, all those greedy buggers will end up with a shrivelled walnut and a small nugget of coal. Although some might say we already have that..........

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    If you get your wish, I might get mine, maybe?

Agreed, all those greedy buggers will end up with a shrivelled walnut and a small nugget of coal. Although some might say we already have that..........
    yes, a ball zooming round the penalty area at head height or lower is way more valuable than one that's just bounced into the crowd off a defender's boot

Just that its all wrapped up before Xmas and we can start 2022 preparing for life in league 1 with no further issues with the EFL.

We have no chance of avoiding relegation with -12, never mind any additional points deduction.

As for Rooney, yes he has behaved with dignity, but then he can't really lose can he? He can't be blamed for relegation or the squad he has. Not overly impressed with his tactical capabilities, still think it stinks that because of his name he is allowed to be a manager without the required coaching badges (no idea whether he has done these now) but any decent qualified experienced manager/coach must be pretty brassed off that he got the gig in the first place. Happy to see him go, but doubt that will happen.

I will stick my neck out though, feel free to remind me, if he stays in charge we won't get promoted back from league 1 and he will be sacked before next Christmas.

A decent ducking owner, gggggggrrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Just that its all wrapped up before Xmas and we can start 2022 preparing for life in league 1 with no further issues with the EFL.

We have no chance of avoiding relegation with -12, never mind any additional points deduction.

As for Rooney, yes he has behaved with dignity, but then he can't really lose can he? He can't be blamed for relegation or the squad he has. Not overly impressed with his tactical capabilities, still think it stinks that because of his name he is allowed to be a manager without the required coaching badges (no idea whether he has done these now) but any decent qualified experienced manager/coach must be pretty brassed off that he got the gig in the first place. Happy to see him go, but doubt that will happen.

I will stick my neck out though, feel free to remind me, if he stays in charge we won't get promoted back from league 1 and he will be sacked before next Christmas.
    Wow...has anyone ever predicted a managerial sacking up to 13 months before the possible event?

Could well be right though and the point about it being easier to maintain dignity when you have nothing to lose is also a fair one.

Can’t help noticing that Rooney now has a significantly worse managerial record, over a similar period, than his much maligned predecessor. Also worth pointing out, perhaps...we often seem to have started matches well only to be out thought (managed?) in the second half.
    The obvious exception to this was away at Coventry when, in the ultimate game of two halves, we were outclassed in the first half but probably deserved to win in the second. Maybe not just coincidence that Liam Rosenior was in charge that afternoon.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 11-11-2021 at 09:36 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)