+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's on your DCFC Xmas List?

Another one I didn't mention was the keeper so good they named him thrice............ who was that?

We did have a David Martin at one time as a loan/cover keeper, at the same time as maybe having the outfielder of the same name - did we also have Chris Martin on the books then? Must have been around 2010, so probably not............

Did jay Jay Okocha have a brother who played in goal called Jay Jay Jay Okocha?

But if he was so goos they named him thrice, was our line up at the time 3-4-4-2? This will confuddle Swale

No, I give up
    Last edited by Geoff Parkstone; 12-11-2021 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Lil Les was fine until that Boxing Day disaster..........
    Quite right, remembered too much for one bad game

One keeper who was consistently the best player in the side was Jaka Banovich, but it was an awful side...

21 hours and just the one, wrong, guess at the thrice named keeper.........

Andy, Andy, Andy........ Oakes.

Anyway back on topic at least the first part of the Xmas wish has happened, settlement of the issues with the EFL. So as long as going forward the club comply there are no further possible penalties hanging over the club.

Now lets get the issues with HMRC resolved so that someone can buy the club and start rebuilding

If Mel is, as reported in Forbes, still worth half a billion, am I the only one thinking that the gentlemanly thing to do would be for him to clear the debts?

Same is true if he's only worth 400M IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    If Mel is, as reported in Forbes, still worth half a billion, am I the only one thinking that the gentlemanly thing to do would be for him to clear the debts?

Same is true if he's only worth 400M IMO.
    No you’re not. He has a duty, imo, to clear up the financial mess he is at least partially responsible for. Whether he can still be expected to behave in a gentlemanly way (i.e. with decency and integrity) I’m afraid remains to be seen.

I guess all that remains in terms of the Christmas ‘list’ now is a fresh start under decent and responsibly ambitious owners and the ability to start rebuilding in readiness for League One next August. At least no one can claim we don’t know what we’re preparing for next season.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 17-11-2021 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    No you’re not. He has a duty, imo, to clear up the financial mess he is at least partially responsible for. Whether he can still be expected to behave in a gentlemanly way (i.e. with decency and integrity) I’m afraid remains to be seen.

I guess all that remains in terms of the Christmas ‘list’ now is a fresh start under decent and responsibly ambitious owners and the ability to start rebuilding in readiness for League One next August. At least no one can claim we don’t know what we’re preparing for next season.
    There is apparently a debt of around £20 - 40 million, though I'm not sure of the exact figure, which may relate to the ownership of the ground which Mel has said he will waive.

I don't think you will see more than that, lets face it if Mel was going to wipe out the clubs debt, the he wouldn't have put the club into administration in the first place!

I think the debt that you reference, Swale, is due to MSD as part of the financial manouvering during the ground sale era. There is a charge in existence regarding MSD/ground last time I looked. This obviously has to be "redeemed" if the ground is to return to the club/new owners on a clean basis, which infers the debt is repaid or the security replaced. Its in one of the Gellaw Newcos that isnt part of the main club ownership group.

As to the second paragraph, I dont entirely agree - administration can bea good negotiation strategy if trying to beat down amounts due on a "take it or leave it" basis, thus clearing all debt by paying some and getting some waived

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I think the debt that you reference, Swale, is due to MSD as part of the financial manouvering during the ground sale era. There is a charge in existence regarding MSD/ground last time I looked. This obviously has to be "redeemed" if the ground is to return to the club/new owners on a clean basis, which infers the debt is repaid or the security replaced. Its in one of the Gellaw Newcos that isnt part of the main club ownership group.

As to the second paragraph, I dont entirely agree - administration can bea good negotiation strategy if trying to beat down amounts due on a "take it or leave it" basis, thus clearing all debt by paying some and getting some waived
    Correct, though my understanding is that, separate from the club, Mel Morris owns Pride Park Stadium.

However, something called a "charge" is on both the stadium and separately on Moor Farm, to MSD which is the investment arm of Michael Dell (originally the Dell Computers founder) which loans money to desperate UK football clubs at very high interest rates. I believe MSD gave us 2 loans to keep the club functioning.

Morris has apparently said he will pay off the loans, which if true will at least partially redeem him in the eyes of the fans.

In normal business, Id agree, Administration can be a good strategy, enables a company to be a going concern and limit liabilities. With a football club its a little more complex and in the main has been used to avoid an owner having to pay a large proportion of debts that he (or they) have run up. IMO Mel, wanted to sell the club and avoid debt repayment, he couldn't sell, it was costing him £1 million a month or thereabouts, he put into admin to stem those losses.

Of course this then makes it more attractive to prospective owners, they get the club cheaper than they otherwise would, but it also means 12 pt deduction, therefore for a minimum of one season, the clubs revenues will be lower.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)