+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth cup v Harrogate

I'm sorry but football is a team game and allowing individuals to just do as they please does not augment that.
    DA does swear by coaching and probably wishes he'd had more of it to bring the best out of him.
    As for players of the past... they would be slaughtered by their modern day counterparts. Drinking, smoking,
    long-distance running (being the only 'training' they did) and a lack of ball skills overall would soon let them down.
    Before you quote Stanley Mathews, Jimmy Greaves or George Best at me, these players never played alone. For every
    Stan Mathews there were several cloggers, a number of hoofers and quite a few journeymen mediocre players who made
    up teams "before coaching". Those are the players who would have benefitted most from coaching.
    If you want to think of the uncoached, watch a bunch young kids having a kickabout and note how they all bunch around the ball
    trying to get a kick without any thought of what comes next. Beautiful to watch if you're talking about starlings in the sky
    but not on the football pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    I'm sorry but football is a team game and allowing individuals to just do as they please does not augment that.
    DA does swear by coaching and probably wishes he'd had more of it to bring the best out of him.
    As for players of the past... they would be slaughtered by their modern day counterparts. Drinking, smoking,
    long-distance running (being the only 'training' they did) and a lack of ball skills overall would soon let them down.
    Before you quote Stanley Mathews, Jimmy Greaves or George Best at me, these players never played alone. For every
    Stan Mathews there were several cloggers, a number of hoofers and quite a few journeymen mediocre players who made
    up teams "before coaching". Those are the players who would have benefitted most from coaching.
    If you want to think of the uncoached, watch a bunch young kids having a kickabout and note how they all bunch around the ball
    trying to get a kick without any thought of what comes next. Beautiful to watch if you're talking about starlings in the sky
    but not on the football pitch.
    Haha is all that reply deserves my friend..

May I ask how old you are?

ie how many of the great and good players there were around in football PL and even our level?

I will concede one thing and that is they are probably fitter today with all the facilities they have but how many today could play for 90 minutes on a very heavy pitch like they did? I think you would have to be pretty fit back then and please don't spout about skills when many or even most professional footballers HAD to be pretty good otherwise they would never have become a Pro and why players were chosen both for their skills and their ability to play in certain positions which DA seems to have problems with. You would never get Greaves, Best or Charlton to play midfield or defence we had players who were brilliant at doing just that.

OK I have seen football since the late 1950's and attended Crewe matches since I was about 12 years old ie 65 years ago and have been a season ticket holder here at Crewe in the last few years and I can tell you this and you may think its with rose coloured specs on but few players I have seen here were as good as back then and just look at our goalkeepers, our centre halfs and our strikers nowadays, how many get to score 25 goals a season, Not sure you ever saw Frank Lord here but he still holds the record for the number of hat tricks and nobody could head a ball like he did and he was useless with his feet. Nobody got past big Dave Ewing a great big centre half and so on and so forth.

Yes you could argue we had more success in the Dario years but for me nowhere near enjoyable as those golden days of yesteryear when we won the world cup with not one coaching academy in sight. Nobody could ever coach Greaves or Best or even Rodney Jack who was employed here in a coaching role and so how many came through here with his skills?

No mate, footballers are born and not made and has been since the year dot....

So how old are you again?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Haha is all that reply deserves my friend..

May I ask how old you are?

ie how many of the great and good players there were around in football PL and even our level?

I will concede one thing and that is they are probably fitter today with all the facilities they have but how many today could play for 90 minutes on a very heavy pitch like they did? I think you would have to be pretty fit back then and please don't spout about skills when many or even most professional footballers HAD to be pretty good otherwise they would never have become a Pro and why players were chosen both for their skills and their ability to play in certain positions which DA seems to have problems with. You would never get Greaves, Best or Charlton to play midfield or defence we had players who were brilliant at doing just that.

OK I have seen football since the late 1950's and attended Crewe matches since I was about 12 years old ie 65 years ago and have been a season ticket holder here at Crewe in the last few years and I can tell you this and you may think its with rose coloured specs on but few players I have seen here were as good as back then and just look at our goalkeepers, our centre halfs and our strikers nowadays, how many get to score 25 goals a season, Not sure you ever saw Frank Lord here but he still holds the record for the number of hat tricks and nobody could head a ball like he did and he was useless with his feet. Nobody got past big Dave Ewing a great big centre half and so on and so forth.

Yes you could argue we had more success in the Dario years but for me nowhere near enjoyable as those golden days of yesteryear when we won the world cup with not one coaching academy in sight. Nobody could ever coach Greaves or Best or even Rodney Jack who was employed here in a coaching role and so how many came through here with his skills?

No mate, footballers are born and not made and has been since the year dot....

So how old are you again?
    Ffs Mike. And you wonder why nobody contributes

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    Ffs Mike. And you wonder why nobody contributes
    I can say that this board/site has been dead for 10 years at least mate. Its not a patch on the old official site discussion board and I thought I was doing people a favour by expressing an opinion when each one is entitled to do just that surely as what do you expect? Me to say that coaching is the beesknees etc when I have held the same view for ever and they can argue with me but not the great Jimmy Greaves who had exactly the same opinion as I do...

But I can go away no problem...

66. Is that young and rose- spectacled enough??
    Didn't see Frank Lord as lived in Manchester, then and was able to see Best, Charlton, and Greaves in the flesh. You ignored my point before but these 'stars' (at all levels so include Lord) were accompanied by many more players that were not particularly talented.
    I'll finish by reminding of an example I gave you about 2 years ago of the difference between uncoached and coached. 3-6 at Wembley and 1-7 in Budapest. Uncoached England v the Golden (and very much coached) Magyars.
    I've already repeated myself a number of times on this topic so don't intend to waste my time anymore. You can name-check the same 3-4 individuals all you want but this avoids thinking about the unnamed thousands who were not 'natural talents'. I don't intend to indulge any more.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    I can say that this board/site has been dead for 10 years at least mate. Its not a patch on the old official site discussion board and I thought I was doing people a favour by expressing an opinion when each one is entitled to do just that surely as what do you expect? Me to say that coaching is the beesknees etc when I have held the same view for ever and they can argue with me but not the great Jimmy Greaves who had exactly the same opinion as I do...

But I can go away no problem...
    That’s up to you, as you have done before.
    Expressing opinions is exactly what this and all other boards are for….but not, in my opinion, the same opinion/diatribe time after time after time no matter what the thread is originally about.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    That’s up to you, as you have done before.
    Expressing opinions is exactly what this and all other boards are for….but not, in my opinion, the same opinion/diatribe time after time after time no matter what the thread is originally about.
    Really!

This was a comment by gazan page 1

"This is what worries me about some of the coaching. Was this an aberration or an example of 'football by numbers'."

So he mentioned coaching and why I commented as I did but no worries, I will leave again so the two or three that post here can keep each other company! I really have better things to do actually!

Bye!

Yes I made a comment about SOME coaching. I also referred back to it in the discussion.
    Don't throw your toys out of the pram. Nobody has asked you not to give opinions. Read what people ACTUALLY say and respond appropriately. Reasoned arguments, as opposed to diatribes, unsubstantiated 'truths' and referring to limited/repeated examples, are very welcome.

By the way, Jimmy Greaves was a sozzled drunk. Should we also follow that example?

Really good win, especially as Zac was with the First Team.

Personally I really enjoy watching the Youth games, less stressful than watching the First Team ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast