+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why question Gerrard?

Why question Gerrard?

So he has only managed in Scotland.
    He has never managed in the prem.
    #Alex Ferguson only managed in Scotland before joining utd
    #Deano Smith had never managed in the prem before joining us

I think you will agree, they both did well.
    Gerrard is a winner, hes used to winning, playing in in Europe, playing with big Managers, playing in front of huge crowds, he knows what Success is all about. He grabbed Rangers by the scruff of the neck and left them as champions. Gerrard is ambitious, yes we all know he wants to eventually manage Liverpool but if he flops at Villa, he will not be joining them, he needs to show his steel, his tactics, his passion and turn us into a force something for all the outpooring to Deano we sadly are not, far too many teams have come to villa park and turned us over, we are conceding goals for fun, the warning signs were there v Stoke and again v Watford the captulation v Wolves was unforgiveable. We have good players but they have not performed this year, we have relied on Grealish too much and now paying the price. In Jan we need to go out and look for a midfield general. I know people are saying we should finish top ten but for me, get away from the drop zone is the priority, theres lots of fans who will want to see not only us but Gerrard fail, it can work, it must work, forget Deano now, get behind Stevie G and lets prove all the doubters wrong. UTFV......

I know what you mean about Deano. Gutted when it happened but time to move on. He will manage in the premiership soon enough when a job comes along.
    Im getting more and more optimistic about the Gerrard appointment. I think the squad will respect and fear him. The happy family syndrome has gone now.
    All the midfielders will learn from Gerrard. Who better to get the best from Mgwynn Luiz Ramsey etc. Im sure Gerrard will attact a better quality if player too.
    Have we had a bigger name as manager?

Nice one Dave👍

Despite Gerrard managing Rangers I don't really have a problem with him and I don't mean any disrespect to you Villa fans. To compare what Gerrard achieved in Scotland with what Alex Ferguson achieved at Aberdeen is ludicrous. Take Celtic out of the equation and Gerrards budget at Rangers was more than all of the other Scottish clubs put together. Although he has cut his teeth with the huns, I think Villa are taking a big gamble appointing him. How he copes with having to compete against so many quality teams remains to be seen. Good luck to Villa and I hope it works out for you.
    By the way, someone posted on another thread that Gerrard has left Rangers unbeaten this season - not true. My team, Dundee United, beat them earlier in the season in the league.

Every appointment is a gamble unless you are pep with your billions. The point about Sir Alex was that he came from the Mickey Mouse league, two teams dominent every year and yes he won loads for Aberdeen but struggled for four years upon his utd tenure but lets face it the entire Scottish premiership would struggle in Division one of English football. No offence mate but Womens football is of better quality than the mens up there! All the best to you and your Dundee, I hardley think you are qualified to talk about EPL and let remind you we know all about Gerrard, He is English a fantastic charator who will demand get respect. Of all the managers out there he is the best of the crop, personally I would have given Smith till Christmas.
    Ps. I see Rangers fans have shown their class by turning on Gerrard already, typical.....

Yes Dave its always a gamble but i like the odds with Gerrard. What's the alternative? Go for the merry-go-round of dinosaurs or give a bloke with a winning mentality a go and respected as one of the best midfielders ever.
    I also wanted Deano to have more time but hes gone and that wasnt our choice.
    Pep gets loads of cash and so did Sir Alex. Signing Gerrard doesnt guaranty us success but it definitely rases Villas profile. Were the talk of the town right now. To be honest i feel alot of envy from other clubs and supporters. Not massively as Villa are not a club hated in general like Manu etc.
    Lets see what santa brings in January. And to anyone who wants to moan look where we were a few seasons back. A corrupt charman, nearly went into administration and playing in the championship with every midlands club gloating. 5 losses in a row is not something i will loose sleep over.

Im looking forward to an exciting new eara at VP. Shame Gerrard cant have Deano as his assistant.

Forgot to put that Deano is a big part of the reason were in this position now along with Jack Grealish being awsome for us and new owners. Deano will always be held in high regard at Villa and its history.

Quote Originally Posted by TrianonDave View Post
    Every appointment is a gamble unless you are pep with your billions. The point about Sir Alex was that he came from the Mickey Mouse league, two teams dominent every year and yes he won loads for Aberdeen but struggled for four years upon his utd tenure but lets face it the entire Scottish premiership would struggle in Division one of English football. No offence mate but Womens football is of better quality than the mens up there! All the best to you and your Dundee, I hardley think you are qualified to talk about EPL and let remind you we know all about Gerrard, He is English a fantastic charator who will demand get respect. Of all the managers out there he is the best of the crop, personally I would have given Smith till Christmas.
    Ps. I see Rangers fans have shown their class by turning on Gerrard already, typical.....
    Thanks for your response Dave. I haven't visited this site for an argument or to troll just wanted to get a feel of what the Villa fans think of Gerrards appointment. Seems very positive. As for me being qualified to talk about English football - I have lived in Somerset for 26 years and go to watch football as much as I can, especially Stoke City. What qualifies you to comment on Scottish football? A genuine question, not a dig.
    As for the hun fans turning on Gerrard - no big surprise. They are deluded and arrogant and believe they are one of the biggest clubs in the world. They quickly turned on Souness when he left them for Liverpool.
    Personally, I think it is great that Villa have gone for a young English manager rather than some overrated foreign coach. I will be watching Villa's results with interest.
    P.S. I support Dundee United not Dundee.

Quite happy to accept Gerrard. Should be interesting. Still shedding a few tears for Deano at the moment though. I just wish he had managed to keep us progressing.

I’m still suspicious of the disappearance of two coaches at the beginning of what was supposed to be an exciting season especially as they don’t seem to to have gone on to do anything else. All very odd and never satisfactorily explained.

I’ll be glad to see the end of the long throw. Please no more!

I'm with you on that one picasso, I said it Months ago something was wrong both his Wing Men doing one leaving Smith on his lonesome and then, Strangers in the camp. I think Smith departing has been om the cards for a while and Stevie G almost knew he would get the job especially as his Name was muted on SM since last Season. As for the long throw has Nanny McPhee left now? I know shaky has and that SG will bring his complete backroom staff with him to VP. Interesting times indeed.

As for our Dundee Utd fan, well lets just say, Good luck for the rest of the season, I do not know what makes you watch Stoke but thats your choice. What qualifies me to comment on Scottish football, I suppose watching snippets of Celtic OR Rangers winning everything every year, how boring! Simple as. I suppose what I can be happy with is John McGinn, its not the individuals its the competition. Maybe the perfect answer is a British Premier league????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)