+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolton

Bolton

My hope is that they stick with the 5-2-3 formation utilised on Tuesday against Wolves.
    Unfortunate that BSD not available but still really hoping for a good performance.

With Alex Neil casting an unbiased view over team selection etc, going for a 1-1 draw

Incidentally, just to show how strong this League now is, there are 5 games postponed tomorrow due to International Call-ups ...

Suspect they're going to have to move to no League 1 programme on International weekends too

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    Suspect they're going to have to move to no League 1 programme on International weekends too

Well it looks like Dave’s soldiers were too busy dipping their heads in the egg yolk!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    Well there's one thing, it wont affect us....sadly

Watched on ifollow tonight. Disappointing after midweek. Why try 523 on Tuesday, and revert to 532 on Friday? Didn't really lay a glove on Bolton until we were two goals down, and even then, the only chances we got were from Bolton getting a bit complacent, rather than any attacking prowess on our part. Our LH side was shocking. MacFadzean cannot defend. In the second half alone, I counted double figure number of times that he lost his man, allowing him the freedom to pick his pass and create the second goal. Felt sorry for Offord. One of our more consistent performers, and doesn't really deserve the ignominy of his mistake. Must win game now next Saturday. Anyone know what went on in the tunnel after the game? BBC RS reported what looked like a fight. DA smashing the ref in the face?

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair General View Post
    Watched on ifollow tonight. Disappointing after midweek. Why try 523 on Tuesday, and revert to 532 on Friday? Didn't really lay a glove on Bolton until we were two goals down, and even then, the only chances we got were from Bolton getting a bit complacent, rather than any attacking prowess on our part. Our LH side was shocking. MacFadzean cannot defend. In the second half alone, I counted double figure number of times that he lost his man, allowing him the freedom to pick his pass and create the second goal. Felt sorry for Offord. One of our more consistent performers, and doesn't really deserve the ignominy of his mistake. Must win game now next Saturday. Anyone know what went on in the tunnel after the game? BBC RS reported what looked like a fight. DA smashing the ref in the face?
    You say next week is a must win game, but tonight was a must win game, the home game against Doncaster was a must win game. Another utterly dreadful performance again tonight, players on the pitch who should be stacking shelves in Tesco, players playing out of position again, different formation again !! How can we hope to get some kind of run together with the constant shuffling of abject mediocrity. The substitutions are supposed to be able to change situations but ours are just more of the same. Must be close to the worst Crewe squad in post war memory and there have been some dreadful ones in that time. Fail to prepare prepare to fail we have failed to prepare properly since pre season. Absolutely no chance of retaining our league 1 status and you saw what a league 2 side did to us last week, non league ground map anyone.

Just wanted to add congratulations to Zac Williams on his league debut last night - still only 16!

Echo that about Zac, what a debut! Fearless! I hope DA shows the Zac clips to everyone as an example of commitment.
    On another point, I do have to blame DA for the tactics. Only in the last 5 minutes did we apply any pressure on the Bolton defence. Virtually the whole game consisted of safe, sideways passing in our own third of the pitch. I understand the tactical theory of playing out from the back and I accept its premise. However, it only really works if: a) the players are up to the task b) there is movement to create the angles for passing OUT of defence (1st team players should watch the youth team do this!) and c) there is variety I.e. a lack of predictability. Unfortunately, the current lot fail on all 3 counts.
    Rather than being pulled out of position, Bolton were allowed to stand and watch in happy bemusement as the Alex continued to pass sideways in front of their forwards. This was happening until about 85 minutes of the game. We when then went long ball, which is when we put them under pressure. This is NOT an argument for adopting a long ball approach! Bolton were not expecting it and so didn't set up to face it, that's all I.e. variety is the spice of life.
    So, what now? Well, we have revert to having an attacking frame of mind. We cannot defend. We spend too much time in our own half to be a goal threat. Packing the penalty area for corners has never worked so we need a player or two on the halfway line and we have to look to move the ball quickly, even if sometimes that means kicking it further than 10 yards!
    We could start at the Gillingham game as they probably already 'know' how we are going to play against them.

Does anyone know what Robertson did that got him a 3 game suspension?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast