+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bamford - Are clubs & fans damaging the Planet [Travelling to games] ?

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Not in the UK but curious as to how they generate electric power? Is coal the predominate method?

Well Spaldy - France is heavily reliant on nuclear energy, which generated 71% of its electricity at lunchtimes average current stats are showing.

Regarding UK power sources ?

The National Grid is Great Britain’s electricity transmission network, distributing the electrical power generated in England, Scotland, and Wales, and transferring energy between Great Britain and Ireland, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Norway.
    For up to date 24/7 transfer of UK energy to electricity stats - https://grid.iamkate.com

The U.K. national power grid stats shows that on an average UK lunchtime 51% of electricity was generated using gas.Wind, solar and hydroelectric accounted for 25%, nuclear just under 12% and coal a little over 1%.The U.K. is burning a lot more gas now than October 2020 when it was used to generate only 38% of electricity.

Regarding U.K. electricity from nuclear - almost half of current capacity is to be retired by 2025.The UK has implemented a thorough assessment process for new reactor designs and their siting.The UK has privatised power generation and liberalised its electricity market, which together make major capital investments problematic.Construction has commenced on the first of a new generation of nuclear plants with deals done with China to implement the construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post

Well Spaldy - France is heavily reliant on nuclear energy, which generated 71% of its electricity at lunchtimes average current stats are showing.

Regarding UK power sources ?

The National Grid is Great Britain’s electricity transmission network, distributing the electrical power generated in England, Scotland, and Wales, and transferring energy between Great Britain and Ireland, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Norway.
    For up to date 24/7 transfer of UK energy to electricity stats - https://grid.iamkate.com

The U.K. national power grid stats shows that on an average UK lunchtime 51% of electricity was generated using gas.Wind, solar and hydroelectric accounted for 25%, nuclear just under 12% and coal a little over 1%.The U.K. is burning a lot more gas now than October 2020 when it was used to generate only 38% of electricity.

Regarding U.K. electricity from nuclear - almost half of current capacity is to be retired by 2025.The UK has implemented a thorough assessment process for new reactor designs and their siting.The UK has privatised power generation and liberalised its electricity market, which together make major capital investments problematic.Construction has commenced on the first of a new generation of nuclear plants with deals done with China to implement the construction.

We used to have a much higher % generated by nuclear but with dithering by New Labour and the Tories neither replaced it so hence we are so reliant on gas

This suddenly went a bit Brian Cox (the physicist not the actor).

A cynic might suggets that our Patrick has seen Rashford being worshipped for his school meals campaign and has simply found another 'good cause' to jump onto. Sir Patrick of Bamford has a certain ring n'est pas?

Quote Originally Posted by UbiqueLUFC33 View Post

A cynic might suggets that our Patrick has seen Rashford being worshipped for his school meals campaign and has simply found another 'good cause' to jump onto. Sir Patrick of Bamford has a certain ring n'est pas?
    Think he is aiming higher

Lord Bamford of Thorpe Arch 😆

Quote Originally Posted by UbiqueLUFC33 View Post

Brian Cox ?
    How about a bit of Stephen Hawking Physicist theoretical analysis.

Average brain can power a small light bulb as when you are awake your brain generates about 12-25 watts of electricity.My Neurologist told me that my brain can actually power the whole average size house light bulbs when I'm asleep so maybe I should get wired into the UK National grid when I hit the sheets !

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Think he is aiming higher

Lord Bamford of Thorpe Arch 😆
    Nah - Sheriff of Bardsey as his home abode is only on the hill above Wetherby.Popular village for Leeds players over the years Lorimer,Strachan,Clarke,Vinnie,Reaney,Mervyn Day have all taken the waters up there so obviously stimulates the brain cells One Way or Another.[as another thread goes].

MT,

thanks for the information. Very informative.

I'm a big fan of Nuclear and feel that France is a world leader in it's efforts to use it and minimize nuclear waste production. I understand they really work on re using the spent rods. I think it's the true "stop gap" solution to the worlds energy needs until we come up with something better.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    MT,

thanks for the information. Very informative.

I'm a big fan of Nuclear and feel that France is a world leader in it's efforts to use it and minimize nuclear waste production. I understand they really work on re using the spent rods. I think it's the true "stop gap" solution to the worlds energy needs until we come up with something better.
    The key is dealing with the waste - some of the new proposals have quite nifty solutions to that embedding it in the land beneath the site but in secure capsules.

It’s far more efficient that fossil fuel tech that’s for sure and produces no greenhouse gases.

It requires constant investment for the future though which is where modern governments fall down

Wise old owl (and Owlette) built a passive house 6yrs ago. £200 per year to heat. Maximising solar gain through triple glazed units (without stupid feckn trickle vents), 200mm cavity walls and no perforations in building fabric eg. no external extractor or letter box in front door. Mechanical heat recovery and ventilation system ensure full hourly air exchange. Very pleasant environment. Underfloor heating comes on when baltic. Heat generated from people, showering, bathing TV, cooking/oven and regular swinger parties all captured.

Not all as thick as Billy over here ya know.....

Dont give a **** about green hippie issues personally. When i was a kid the big issue was the "population explosion" because we failed spectacularly in dealing with that, the ship has sailed so to speak, therefore we have decided (in the west at least) that the answer is for us all to live like cavemen.
    China & India build new fossil power stations at a frightening rate to keep up with your demand for shighte from Amazon, and try asking the petrolheads in the States to drive electric cars! what a joke, better just eradicate the populations of china,india and Africa in one go, that´ll solve most of the world´s issues pretty quickly.
    Carry on separating your garbage like good citizens so that they can go dump it all together in the same landfill.

The really funny thing about all this is how conceited we all are. Do we really think we can destroy this planet? the human race will render itself extinct through its own stupidity way before we "destroy the planet".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)