+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who would be the best team in the PL...

Who would be the best team in the PL...

if it was made up of former managers in their playing heyday?

I was thinking today a bit about Steve Bruce and, long story short, that if he'd been our player rather than our manager he'd likely be a club legend. Then I got to wondering what sort of team we could build out of our former managers, and how it'd fare against other clubs' equivalent side. We've had Bruce, Shearer, Gullit, Ardilles, etc. and could probably put out a pretty decent first 11. Goalkeepers are always likely to be a problem for most clubs, though Wolves and Spurs have Nuno to fill that slot! So, I'm wondering which club has had the best group of players ultimately become their manager?

There are a few, ahem, more distinguished gentleman on here who can probably remember a little further back and name managers who were great players, and can maybe suggest something like a first 11 for us perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy1981_2 View Post
    if it was made up of former managers in their playing heyday?

I was thinking today a bit about Steve Bruce and, long story short, that if he'd been our player rather than our manager he'd likely be a club legend. Then I got to wondering what sort of team we could build out of our former managers, and how it'd fare against other clubs' equivalent side. We've had Bruce, Shearer, Gullit, Ardilles, etc. and could probably put out a pretty decent first 11. Goalkeepers are always likely to be a problem for most clubs, though Wolves and Spurs have Nuno to fill that slot! So, I'm wondering which club has had the best group of players ultimately become their manager?

There are a few, ahem, more distinguished gentleman on here who can probably remember a little further back and name managers who were great players, and can maybe suggest something like a first 11 for us perhaps.
    Three superb ones to add to the Toon team from the mid-last century. Goalie, the incredible Ronnie Simpson, short for that position at 5'10" but very agile and was number one for Scotland for years, managed Hamilton academicals also the two stalwarts in defence, Joe Harvey, managed here and Bob Stokoe, managed the Muckem.

Also another goalie, Willie McFaul, also managed us, and Bobby Moncur who managed a few lower division clubs.

Apologies Bix as I edited and added McFaul then saw your post next, so you were in with Willie first.
    Last edited by ex_pat_magpie; 15-11-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Suppose we had Willie McFaul as our manager in the 80s when the team was shocking. , He wasn’t a good manager but I gather he was a decent keeper and won the Fairs Cup. Before my time but I think he was called Iam back then as in WillIAM.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Three superb ones to add to the Toon team from the mid-last century. Goalie, the incredible Ronnie Simpson, short for that position at 5'10" but very agile and was number one for Scotland for years, managed Hamilton academicals also the two stalwarts in defence, Joe Harvey, managed here and Bob Stokoe, managed the Muckem.

Also another goalie, Willie McFaul, also managed us, and Bobby Moncur who managed a few lower division clubs.

Apologies Bix as I edited and added McFaul then saw your post next, so you were in with Willie first.
    I thought it was just players who had managed us not people who had managed elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post

No worries mate - I’m surprised I remembered him anyway - it was a forgettable tenure!

Although my dad and uncle both said he was a decent keeper back at the time he was our poor manager.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    I thought it was just players who had managed us not people who had managed elsewhere.
    Well Andy mentions Nuno for Wolves in his first post but he played for Leeds but not Wolves

In 4 2 4 formation. All former managers of NUFC.
    McFaul
    Kinnear J Harvey Bruce Allerdyce

Bobby Robson. R.Gullet

Ardiles. Keegan. Shearer. Dalglish

I thought just former managers not those that played for us,Ardiles and Gullet mentioned in original post never played for us just our managers.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    In 4 2 4 formation. All former managers of NUFC.
    McFaul
    Kinnear J Harvey Bruce Allerdyce

Bobby Robson. R.Gullet

Ardiles. Keegan. Shearer. Dalglish
    Well done with that team Sherwood. And what a front line. It would destroy any Prem defence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)