+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gillingham

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair General View Post
    Ah. My bad. Sorry.
    I was indeed!

Really hope that we play 3-4-3, and hoping that they were all watching the Youth Cup win and the Stockport game.

5-3 - gotta be, hasn't it !!

Looks more like 5-3-2 to me, with Offord, Zac, BSD playing the 3 CB's ...

Good to see Adebisi back on the left, but wasn't expecting Kashket on the right 😲

Great win!
    Really pleased for the Academy players at the back - average age <20 ...

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    Great win!

Couldn’t make it today work commitments call, what a great win though. Can somebody send a quick report of today’s match thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    Great win!
    Yes a good result we looked like the Crewe of last season. Old warty won’t be pleased his inability to predict results (4 1 to the gills) matches his ability to point us to rogue salary websites. One swallow does not a summer make, but it looks more like spring. We move on to Wimbledon with hope. Some excellent performances today nice to see the graduates shine. We did ride our luck a little should have finished 4 1 to the Alex.

Apparently, it was 3-1-4-2.
    Whatever, it was a really different performance that made it a very enjoyable game to watch. The movement off the ball was a joy in the first half. Kashket was a revelation. Playing him deeper meant that he had much more of the ball and was able to utilise his speed more effectively. It was great to see the crossovers between the lines. In the first half Murphy and Lowery really controlled things
    The back line.... Billy Sass and Zak Williams were immense. Great to see a back line of our own playing well. Gomes was mainly the only player who didn't play a large part.
    However, the second half started a little nervously and the movement wasn't as fluid as previously. Gomes was replaced by Finney (no comment!). This meant there was more work for Lowery who started to look tired. A little bit of tension started to creep in but the defence stood firm. In the end a brilliant goal with Lowery at the end of it made it more convincing. It was good to win by 2 clear goals as the nervy bits of the 2nd half were a little worrying and this result should lift them now.
    Can I finish by saying that Gillingham and the referee were awful. We know what to expect from one of Evans's teams but the off the ball stuff, the late dives into tackles, the nudges in the back as our players took off for headers were really outrageous. Porter almost had the shirt ripped off his back, twice! I'm also surprised that Murphy finished the game considering some of the awful assaults on him. The referee seemed to think that was okay but booked Offord for dissent and Lowery for celebrating with the crowd.

Yes definitely 3 - 1 - 4 -2 : Offord - Sass-Davies - Williams; Murphy; Kashket - Lowery - Gomes - Adebisi; Porter - Long in first half, with Kashket (& Lowery) whizzing down the right, rather than being wing back as such (Offord & Adebisi took the throws). We said in my row that it was the formation within 5 minutes of KO. Bit less clear cut when Finney came on, but Murph was tucked in behind all 4 of them. Young Zak deserved his Man of the Match for being so good & athletic so young, but Billy Sass was immense too (not just in size).

Just to add I understand that Gomes was replaced at half-time due to illness ...

Yes, you're right. I just wish he had been replaced by someone useful

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast