+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Racism- yes kow

O/T Racism- yes kow

we've covered this before.

However, this was such a howler it had to be said.
    Azeem Rafiq has been causing a **** storm over racism in the cricket circles.
    The press have been over it, fingers have been pointed, then this happens.
    It seems that sometimes you have to be careful of your own past before slinging mud,

https://www.euronews.com/2021/11/18/...et-england-yor

A skeleton in the closet, doesn't stay there for very long.

ps fat fingers on a phone for the title

fat fingers on the link too I think, I dont see anything in the Tino Best article that reflects on Rafiq's character, or maybe Im missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    fat fingers on the link too I think, I dont see anything in the Tino Best article that reflects on Rafiq's character, or maybe Im missing something?
    Yearh quite right, God knows what happened there?
    https://news.sky.com/story/azeem-raf...-2011-12471813

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Yearh quite right, God knows what happened there?
    https://news.sky.com/story/azeem-raf...-2011-12471813
    As I've said before there are no clean hands (or in this case, minds)

I'm not sure 67 year old me would fancy being hammered for things 17 year old me did and said back then. Times are different. I'm different...... except for the millimetred haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    As I've said before there are no clean hands (or in this case, minds)
    I agree.
    I think the point here, is that racism is never acceptable. Though those screaming it, have a habit of looking foolish when their misdemeanors surface.
    You don't have to look much futher than Labours antisemitic disease, whilst championing causes like the Lebonan
    My old mate Miss Abbott is a classic as well.

My pet hate is how the press joins in these witch hunts, whilst ignoring reverse racism.

Before this goes much further, can I just say two words.

Ollie Robinson

Villified for this precise reason, social media racist / ***ist comments of a questionable nature made during his early years as "an unknown" 9 years ago, as I recall. Banned from a test match etc and otherwise given a hard time for it (quite rightly)

Without being able to study either lots social media posts, which rapidly disappeared, to be sure, they sound as though the pair of them have done virtually exactly the same thing. If one is unacceptable, why is the other being played down?

Is an Asian person uttering antisemitic remarks somehow less unacceptable?

I understand what you are saying, MA, and I probably did or said things as an 18 year old that I now regret, but a precedent has been set by the actions of the TCCB etc less than 6 months ago. Granted there is little point barring Rafiq from cricket, as I believe he has no county, but this cannot go "unpunished" otherwise we make a mockery of everything we are trying to achieve in kicking racism out of sport. It would send a terrible message and give licence to those so inclined to think they can say what they want.

The saddest thing about all this is, imo, the excitable urgency that certain posters have shown to condemn Azeem Rafiq rather than consider the issues that were raised last Tuesday.
    Such was Tricky’s delight that his fingers got all jumbled up leaving me at a loss as to what the actual title of the thread is meant to be.
    Azeem Rafiq is probably hugely embarrassed by having been exposed as having used racist terminology himself...and rightly so.
    As MA says...many of us, in some former ‘incarnation’, will have said or done things that we now struggle to justify or ‘own’.
    Lenny Henry learned a large part of his ‘trade’ with the ‘Black and White Minstrels’ for goodness sake.
    What isn’t acceptable however is for Azeem Rafiq’s apparent hypocrisy/embarrassment to cloud the very real issue of institutionalised racism in cricket or any other sport.
    We don’t need a ‘witch hunt’ but the issues he raised still need addressing and the fact that an example of his own flawed behaviour has since emerged makes no difference whatsoever to the issues that need investigating.

The bloke has spoken out about wrong doings, and his doing so may actually improve life for other victims who may not be able to speak out. The fact that he's done wrong himself shouldn't deter from protecting others. It's not about the punishment of the club and it's people, nor the punishment of the individual, its about making things better that should be the focus.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    The saddest thing about all this is, imo, the excitable urgency that certain posters have shown to condemn Azeem Rafiq rather than consider the issues that were raised last Tuesday.
    Such was Tricky’s delight that his fingers got all jumbled up leaving me at a loss as to what the actual title of the thread is meant to be.
    Azeem Rafiq is probably hugely embarrassed by having been exposed as having used racist terminology himself...and rightly so.
    As MA says...many of us, in some former ‘incarnation’, will have said or done things that we now struggle to justify or ‘own’.
    Lenny Henry learned a large part of his ‘trade’ with the ‘Black and White Minstrels’ for goodness sake.
    What isn’t acceptable however is for Azeem Rafiq’s apparent hypocrisy/embarrassment to cloud the very real issue of institutionalised racism in cricket or any other sport.
    We don’t need a ‘witch hunt’ but the issues he raised still need addressing and the fact that an example of his own flawed behaviour has since emerged makes no difference whatsoever to the issues that need investigating.
    You are are missing OUR collective point, that (to put it in simple terms) depite the 'crime' being the same whoever the perp and whoever the victim, the punishment currently is not the same. Geoff's post sums it up calmly and fairly IMO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)