+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: O/T Racism- yes kow

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I was wondering much the same thing, MA.

Either way Tricky...if you CHOOSE to work with very difficult people you’re going to encounter some sh1t along the way. The examples you’ve provided are hardly anything beyond a bit of name calling...in stressful occupations when you’re dealing with frustrated, angry and resentful people that’s about par for the course in my experience. Maybe this ‘thick skin’ of yours isn’t quite as protective as you would have us all believe.
    Again it goes over you head.

IT's name calling?
    They are just frustrated an angry?

Society rules that you have to call all prisoners MR................
    But those same people can reply in kind with racial slurs. You cannot use the enviroment as a denfence when the staff have to conduct themselves differently. I have alredy told you, every time I said no, A RACIAL COMPLAINT WENT IN.

Arrrrrrrrrrh the thick skin? So basically, you are saying because I am white, that my skin has to be thicker and accept it?
    A cricketer gets called a P**l AND THE WHOLE WORLD LOSES ITS ****?
    Perhaps he should have a thicker skin?

Laughable. Talk about double standards

MA, Safari- I don't think in the way you have written. I did ask another white prisoner and he said they are calling you Daktari

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Again it goes over you head.

IT's name calling?
    They are just frustrated an angry?

Society rules that you have to call all prisoners MR................
    But those same people can reply in kind with racial slurs. You cannot use the enviroment as a denfence when the staff have to conduct themselves differently. I have alredy told you, every time I said no, A RACIAL COMPLAINT WENT IN.

Arrrrrrrrrrh the thick skin? So basically, you are saying because I am white, that my skin has to be thicker and accept it?
    A cricketer gets called a P**l AND THE WHOLE WORLD LOSES ITS ****?
    Perhaps he should have a thicker skin?

Laughable. Talk about double standards

MA, Safari- I don't think in the way you have written. I did ask another white prisoner and he said they are calling you Daktari
    I’m sorry...I must have missed the bit where working within the prison service was reflective of daily life or earning a living as a professional sportsman.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I’m sorry...I must have missed the bit where working within the prison service was reflective of daily life or earning a living as a professional sportsman.
    But you have

Prisoners and sportsmen have used the laws of the land to demand equal treatment and respect.
    Staff and other sports people get prosecuted for violating those laws.
    They are there for a reason and rightly so.

My prisoner example is an extreme example I know. But it makes it more obvious to visualise. That there is an element in this country, that uses those same laws to unbalance the equality and fairness with rants.

I have given you examples of people doing so and they get caught out time and again. Unfortunately, that leaves the extremes like Rochdale( sorry I know you hate being reminded), where no action is taken out of fear of being vilified as a racist.

You can even bring back the good old Brexit debate on this. Brexit voters clubbed into submission by being labelled "racist".

and you call my "thick skin" into question?

again, laughable.

TTR, I must admit I had to look up the terms as they were all new to me. I'm probably not the only one on here in that position. Would it be possible to add meanings when you are posting "prison oriented" terms so that others can a) understand what it is you are saying and b) not get a different meaning to the one you mean? TIA, MA.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    TTR, I must admit I had to look up the terms as they were all new to me. I'm probably not the only one on here in that position. Would it be possible to add meanings when you are posting "prison oriented" terms so that others can a) understand what it is you are saying and b) not get a different meaning to the one you mean? TIA, MA.
    Yearh to be fair Maddy, I should do that.
    I think I've heard them all so many times, I just think everyone else gets them.
    It also works the other way.
    I once caught out a black prisoner insulting another black prisoner for helping me. He called him a coconut and was horrified that I understood immediately.

( for the uninitiated, that's brown on the outside, but white inside) .
    So when we talk about racial insults, can you see the difficulties, when ethnics set divides themselves?
    As I inititially said, before slinging mud, be sure you are very clean yourself. We all have a long way to go.

Sorry Tricky...been busy all day.

You really can’t join the prison service and not expect to receive some verbals. You know that. The same is true of inner city policing, teaching our more difficult and challenging pupils, being a social worker working with problem families, or working in A&E on a typical Friday/Saturday night. I know it shouldn’t be like that and I wish it wasn’t, but it goes with the territory. If you can’t stand the heat...and I wholly accept that I certainly wouldn’t want to work in a prison...then you know what to do about it.

Incidentally I think the term ‘coconut’, which is really, really old, refers to black or Asian people who conform to what is perceived as ‘white culture’ or are seen as supporting white dominated society. For the record, I hate it’s use and find it unhelpful but I can understand how it might be used amongst prisoners.

Also do you not think that your question, ‘can you see the difficulties when ethnics set divides themselves’ rather betrays your genuine beliefs? It seems to suggest that you actually feel that ‘ethnics’ - i.e. non white people/immigrants - should all conform to the same standards and beliefs which is of course, arrant nonsense.

1. I didn't work for the prison service. I was a civillian accosted to run a contract.
    2. Even if I had been, are you saying that as an "officer" I have to be as professional and respectful as possible, whilst receiving abuse and having to accept it? We are not talking, calling someone a **** here. We are talking racism.
    Had it been used in reverse, what do you suppose the outcome would be? Double standards perhaps?
    You're an ex teacher. Would you have accepted a Black pupil calling you "cracker/honkey/ snowy/ vanilla" etc?
    Would it be right for you have relied, "yes Sooty"?
    So not it doesn't go with the territory does it. We/I could go on all night with reverse racism examples from the prison service- to political parties.
    3. My arrant nonsense as you call it, was perfectly summed up by Naz Shah.

Racism is racism. There are equality laws in this country that a few on both sides of the fence, refuse to accept applies to them.
    I guess from that response, you don't agree with that and believe that being a non person of colour, I should just stop complaining about it and accept my subjection then.

1. I didn't work for the prison service. I was a civillian accosted to run a contract.
    2. Even if I had been, are you saying that as an "officer" I have to be as professional and respectful as possible, whilst receiving abuse and having to accept it? We are not talking, calling someone a **** here. We are talking racism.
    Had it been used in reverse, what do you suppose the outcome would be? Double standards perhaps?
    You're an ex teacher. Would you have accepted a Black pupil calling you "cracker/honkey/ snowy/ vanilla" etc?
    Would it be right for you have relied, "yes Sooty"?
    So not it doesn't go with the territory does it. We/I could go on all night with reverse racism examples from the prison service- to political parties.
    3. My arrant nonsense as you call it, was perfectly summed up by Naz Shah.

Racism is racism. There are equality laws in this country that a few on both sides of the fence, refuse to accept applies to them.
    I guess from that response, you don't agree with that and believe that being a non person of colour, I should just stop complaining about it and accept my subjection then.
    1. Okay...sorry I thought you’d told us all that you worked for the prison service.
    2. Those in authority regularly have to show ‘respect’ for others who barely deserve it. I’ve been accused of being racist by another professional...I dealt with it...the person concerned regretted it. Kids call teachers names sometimes...I’d hope we’re all a bit above responding in the same way.
    There’s no such thing as ‘reverse racism’. Racism, as you say, is racism but it is always more destructive and pernicious when it has the ‘backing’ of those with power and authority.
    3. I know citing Naz Shah is one of your favourite activities, but I’ve already said elsewhere that I didn’t agree with her.
    4. I don’t believe that anyone should accept being a victim of racism but I do understand that those of us who work with stressed, messed up and ‘challenging’ individuals need to recognise that we’ll sometimes have bad things said to us. Get over it...it’s very debatable how much of what you’ve told us was said to you was ‘racist’ anyway. ‘Peckerhead’ for instance certainly isn’t and ‘Daktari’ is just Swahili for ‘Doctor’...sure you’ve been called worse...even on here.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 20-11-2021 at 09:22 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)