+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: English want to

English want to

Raise the legal age of marriage to 18 from 16.

More restrictions on people's freedom? An indication that the social experiment has been a success and that people will just accept whatever government throws at them?

YES and YES for me.

Think this is related to arranged marriages and there mayl be a significant body of opinion against it. Pitting generations against each other. Probably there is some statistic that shows the number of people who get married at 16 is very small and some analysis of the heritage of those who do get married at this age could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Raise the legal age of marriage to 18 from 16.

More restrictions on people's freedom? An indication that the social experiment has been a success and that people will just accept whatever government throws at them?

YES and YES for me.
    I think 16 is too young although if there's a child involved I think it has a better chance in a married arrangement......know this might get me shot at dawn but my opinion......also I hate govt interfereing in just about everything.

The restrictions imposed during covid are a forerunner for "climate change" restrictions on people's lives

China's social credit will happen here in one guise or another.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Think this is related to arranged marriages and there mayl be a significant body of opinion against it. Pitting generations against each other. Probably there is some statistic that shows the number of people who get married at 16 is very small and some analysis of the heritage of those who do get married at this age could be interesting.
    This legislation won't stop anyone sending their 14 year old daughter to another country for a forced arranged marriage so that explanation doesn't hold water.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    I think 16 is too young although if there's a child involved I think it has a better chance in a married arrangement......know this might get me shot at dawn but my opinion......also I hate govt interfereing in just about everything.

The restrictions imposed during covid are a forerunner for "climate change" restrictions on people's lives

China's social credit will happen here in one guise or another.
    'Child' isn't defined by age in the real world - some people grow up much more quickly than others whilst some (possibly me included) just remain children as long as they can.

Legally you become an adult in the UK at 16 so for me that's an acceptable cut off point at which an individual can start making their own life decisions without interference from parents or government.

'Child' isn't defined by age in the real world - some people grow up much more quickly than others whilst some (possibly me included) just remain children as long as they can.

Legally you become an adult in the UK at 16 so for me that's an acceptable cut off point at which an individual can start making their own life decisions without interference from parents or government.
    I meant a young couple WITH a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    I meant a young couple WITH a child.
    Of course, I didn't read it right apologies.

This legislation won't stop anyone sending their 14 year old daughter to another country for a forced arranged marriage so that explanation doesn't hold water.
    Just have to wait and see what happens in this country. Agree it might not deter some from sending their young people abroad.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)