+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So who would you try and keep?

So who would you try and keep?

Looking back to the last time we escaped from level three under Arthur Cox there were players like Rob Hindmarch, Ross McClaren, Paul Blades, John Gregory, Garaint Williams, Steve Buckley, Bobby Davison and Phil Gee in the squad, who went on to prove themselves in Division 2, as it was known then, and even, in some cases, in the top flight.

We don’t seem to have players of that quality and attitude at the moment, but of the current squad who would you hope to keep to build around for a tilt at promotion back to the Championship in 2023?

For me no more than half a dozen or so names stand out. Shinnie, Bielik, Morrison, Sibley, Knight, Ebosele and McDonald are the ones I’d love to keep and I’d like to see Curtis Davis stick around, although whether his body is up to the rigours of League One remains to be seen, no doubting him as a leader and an undoubted role model however.

Of the rest...no disrespect, but some are probably going to be too old, some too soft for the physicality of League One, some too expensive and some just not good enough.

It’ll surely need a mix of experienced ‘know how’ and youthful energy. Thoughts?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 19-11-2021 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Looking back to the last time we escaped from level three under Arthur Cox there were players like Rob Hindmarch, Ross McClaren, Paul Blades, John Gregory, Garaint Williams, Steve Buckley, Bobby Davison and Phil Gee in the squad, who went on to prove themselves in Division 2, as it was known then, and even, in some cases, in the top flight.

We don’t seem to have players of that quality and attitude at the moment, but of the current squad who would you hope to keep to build around for a tilt at promotion back to the Championship in 2023?

For me no more than half a dozen or so names stand out. Shinnie, Bielik, Morrison, Sibley, Knight, Ebosele and McDonald are the ones I’d love to keep and I’d like to see Curtis Davis stick around, although whether his body is up to the rigours of League One remains to be seen, no doubting him as a leader and an undoubted role model however.

Of the rest...no disrespect, but some are probably going to be too old, some too soft for the physicality of League One, some too expensive and some just not good enough.

It’ll surely need a mix of experienced ‘know how’ and youthful energy. Thoughts?
    Shinnie, Beilik (if recovered), Knight, Bird (I would have had him first out the door six months ago, he's learned which way we are kicking now), Stretton, Ebosele, Davis, Jagielka (but not playing together, a 'job share' to keep them fit). I actually think Shinnie/Beilik/Knight/Bird is a quality midfield

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Shinnie, Beilik (if recovered), Knight, Bird (I would have had him first out the door six months ago, he's learned which way we are kicking now), Stretton, Ebosele, Davis, Jagielka (but not playing together, a 'job share' to keep them fit). I actually think Shinnie/Beilik/Knight/Bird is a quality midfield
    Yep...sorry...forgot about Bird. Agreed...if he doesn’t disappear in the ‘January Sales’, keep him too, and yes... Shinnie, Bielik, Knight and Bird could indeed be a very competitive League One midfield. My own personal ‘jury’ is still ‘out’ on Stretton.

Yep...sorry...forgot about Bird. Agreed...if he doesn’t disappear in the ‘January Sales’, keep him too, and yes... Shinnie, Bielik, Knight and Bird could indeed be a very competitive League One midfield. My own personal ‘jury’ is still ‘out’ on Stretton.
    I've actually just read through your OP and I'm struggling to place any of those listed as worse than the best we have currently, maybe Shinnie for steel and Beilik for skill, just. My memory of Rob Hindmarch and Mark Wright (later of course) complementing one another so well fair brings a tear to the eye. Wayne could do well than look back at how we, led by a Sunderland reject slower than me, somehow clawed our way back. Rob (and Paul McGrath) is the reason I think Phil Jagielka has a place

RIP the mighty Rob Hindmarch by the way, we hear a lot about Motor Neurone Diseasde these days and whenever my quid goes in that particular pot its because of him as much as more recent sporting sufferers
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 19-11-2021 at 10:37 PM.

I've actually just read through your OP and I'm struggling to place any of those listed as worse than the best we have currently, maybe Shinnie for steel and Beilik for skill, just. My memory of Rob Hindmarch and Mark Wright (later of course) complementing one another so well fair brings a tear to the eye. Wayne could do we than look back at how we, led by a Sunderland reject slower than me, somehow clawed our way back. Rob (and Paul McGrath) is the reason I think Phil Jagielka has a place

RIP the mighty Rob Hindmarch by the way, we hear a lot about Motor Neurone Diseasde these days and whenever my quid goes in that particular pot its because of him as much as more recent sporting sufferers
    You may be right about Jagielka...but he will be 40 at the beginning of next season. Asking a lot.

Forgotten Rob Hindmarch was a victim of MND which, considering that Kevin Sinfield comes close to having hero status in my eyes, makes me feel slightly ashamed.

P.S. In case anyone doesn’t know, KS is attempting to run 101 miles in 24 hours to raise money for MND research. Last year he did seven marathons in as many days for the same cause.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 19-11-2021 at 10:33 PM.

You may be right about Jagielka...but he will be 40 at the beginning of next season. Asking a lot.

Forgotten Rob Hindmarch was a victim of MND which, considering that Kevin Sinfield comes close to having hero status in my eyes, makes me feel slightly ashamed.

P.S. In case anyone doesn’t know, KS is attempting to run 101 miles in 24 hours to raise money for MND research. Last year he did seven marathons in as many days for the same cause.
    If Sinfield isn't nominated for SPOTY this year there is no justice

If Sinfield isn't nominated for SPOTY this year there is no justice
    Agreed...he has a strong case, but it’s probably already gone to Raducanu.

Agreed...he has a strong case, but it’s probably already gone to Raducanu.
    Off the subject now but I'd go for Mark Cavendish of those I expect to be nominated.

Returning to more local issues...I imagine Adam Peaty is in with a good shout.
    Beyond that...I imagine the next six weeks or so will be difficult for the likes of Lawrence and one or two others who might attract attention from other clubs.
    Do they give it their all in an attempt to entice would be buyers, or hold back and try and avoid an injury that would prevent a potentially lucrative move away from the remainder of Derby’s somewhat pointless looking season?
    There’s also the issue of who other clubs are likely to move in to try and poach from us in January.

I would like to think that those seen as "in the shop window" would do their level best to up their profile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)