+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Villa Park Atmosphere

There are usually tickets available, WCV, getting 2 or more together is another thing. As for the waiting list, I’m with you, tis all poppyc0ck. Just an excuse to bang the prices up.

Re the ground redevelopment, it’ll no doubt be a sparkling, shiny, bowl. Devoid of character, soul, or history. With an up-to-date wifi system for the ‘tubers’, and a Vegan menu, and sh1t craft beers.

Not a ‘Villa Dog’ ice cold/nuclear hot ‘meat(ish) pie’, Bovril or p1ss draught beer in sight.

We were really spoiled back in the day, weren’t we?

I got a ticket for Sunday but the best part of £50, match by match is far too expensive thats why the Seasin tickets are selling because the value broken down is so good, averages out around £30 a game!

I was there when the Witton lane End was topped by a ball-shaped kiosk, and no roof. I was there when the ground forced 70,000 into the ground to see Santos with the great pele. The atmosphere was always exciting, loud and often bloody. I remember the charity shield against Manchester City where as a 12 year old I stood transfixed in the Witton lane End with my 8 year old brother and my grandfather, and saw ghastly scenes of young villa fans slashed by razor blades. The past is not always a better place. I remember standing half way up the Holte with Millwall fans rushing passed me with a machete. I like the new game much better. The atmosphere is not ruined by violence or massed police. We have a rowdy but mostly safe fandom and i am grateful for that.

I ain't suggesting for a minute that we return to the old days. The tiny Witton Lane Stand with its wooden floors. The vast open slag-heap, Witton End, freezing, on a good day. The wooden-floored vicious snap-back wooden seats, and the huge jungle of the Holte, where sometimes the locals were just as threatening as any visiting thugs.

Just the thought of a generic Claret & Blue bowl, serving vegan food and craft beer, every other seat occupied by a selfie-obsessed ‘tuber’, fills me with sadness.

By the time the City Council gets around to approving planning permission, I’ll be long gone, and all fans will be ‘virtual’ or holograms.

edit

'The wooden-floored vicious snap-back wooden seats' of the old Trinity.

I don't see the point of paying for a ticket then spending time trying to film action clips just for the "fame" of sticking it on YT, whilst I'd never want to go back to the dark days of thuggery there is something to be said for the visceral passion of being with mates following your team and backing them vociferously with your voice.

I'm not even sure why it's in the blood but it is, at least for me that is. The makeup of crowds is certainly changing and over the years it may well trickle down through the leagues, at some point then football becomes the same as any other team sport. It's now pricing some fans out of the market leaving the modern day fan, who may get bored and move on, who knows?

I remember looking out from the Holte into the old Witton lane (Deadly) stand thinking, is that where the posh people sit. Me and my mate had a plan, 15 before the end, we would exit and head for the seated area as security used to open up the doors. I remember sneaking in and sitting on the wooden seats....'Sitting' look at me, i felt 10ft tall, i also remember looking up at the Holte End in all its glory...WOW, soo many people, faces, you could not see anything but heads such was the cramming together and not a woman in site, not that I knew but this apparently that was not the done thing, I mean, imagine being squashed malled malested, you know I dont even remember seeing a ladies toilet, the boys room was just awful, smelly, P everywhere, you would not risk going for a sit down job, my gosh Harrison Ford would not enter that shlt tip! Cold nights were the best, hot bovril, 5 mins to KO sqeezing your way up the steps to gain a viewpoint, often there was just no way through, not tvs then to keep you informed, it was panic, crap, had to go lower down the holte to just get a view and crikey when we scored, look out, the noise, the crushing, the bruising from the barriers.....good days really, well thats how I remember them then the run home through the masses, there was a chippy just down Tyburn road, far enough away from the madding crowd for the shop to be empty, just enough money to by a huge bag of chips and a pickle, a slow walk home from there to Hodge Hill and I just don't know how they did it but by the time I got to my Local, The Pink paper...sports argos was printed, this was read from cover to cover, no catching up on YT when you got home. Yes, Progress has stopped all this!

Ah the good old Sports Argos - it always amazed me too how quickly it was printed and delivered, these days they'd never get through the VP traffic!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)