Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Cove Rangers v Queens

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,812

    Cove Rangers v Queens

    A tricky away Scottish Cup fixture against big spenders & Division 1 league leaders Cove Rangers this Saturday.

    What could possibly go wrong ☹️

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,968
    This game could be Johnston's nemesis, because Queens cannot afford (quite literally) to be knocked out of the Scottish Cup by a team from a lower league before the end of November, - and be sitting at the bottom of the league.

    It's as important as that and I've been hinting at this being a pivotal game ever since the draw was made.

    Had the points being going on the board, and Friday's performance against ICT hadn't been so truly awful, then there might have been some room for manoeuvre, but this is make or break, although sadly the only person who doesn't realise how important it is is Alan himself.

    This is our Scottish Cup Final on Saturday, against a team who are sitting atop of the league and will be in the Championship next season and we will need to throw the kitchen sink at Cove to have any chance of progressing.

    I think I've stressed the importance of this game, - but then Mr. Johnston doesn't listen to the fans, - the very life blood of Queen of the South, - he does what he thinks is best.................yes I trust I've irked him into action,.............but forward tho' I canna see.......I guess an' fear.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    This game could be Johnston's nemesis, because Queens cannot afford (quite literally) to be knocked out of the Scottish Cup by a team from a lower league before the end of November, - and be sitting at the bottom of the league.

    It's as important as that and I've been hinting at this being a pivotal game ever since the draw was made.

    Had the points being going on the board, and Friday's performance against ICT hadn't been so truly awful, then there might have been some room for manoeuvre, but this is make or break, although sadly the only person who doesn't realise how important it is is Alan himself.

    This is our Scottish Cup Final on Saturday, against a team who are sitting atop of the league and will be in the Championship next season and we will need to throw the kitchen sink at Cove to have any chance of progressing.

    I think I've stressed the importance of this game, - but then Mr. Johnston doesn't listen to the fans, - the very life blood of Queen of the South, - he does what he thinks is best.................yes I trust I've irked him into action,.............but forward tho' I canna see.......I guess an' fear.
    Definately a very difficult game for Queens against a team who have a couple of forwards who have scored goals for fun over the years - Mitch Megginson and Rory McCallister and also have very experienced players in their ranks such as Fraser Fyvie and Ian Vigurs

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    This game could be Johnston's nemesis, because Queens cannot afford (quite literally) to be knocked out of the Scottish Cup by a team from a lower league before the end of November, - and be sitting at the bottom of the league.

    It's as important as that and I've been hinting at this being a pivotal game ever since the draw was made.

    Had the points being going on the board, and Friday's performance against ICT hadn't been so truly awful, then there might have been some room for manoeuvre, but this is make or break, although sadly the only person who doesn't realise how important it is is Alan himself.

    This is our Scottish Cup Final on Saturday, against a team who are sitting atop of the league and will be in the Championship next season and we will need to throw the kitchen sink at Cove to have any chance of progressing.

    I think I've stressed the importance of this game, - but then Mr. Johnston doesn't listen to the fans, - the very life blood of Queen of the South, - he does what he thinks is best.................yes I trust I've irked him into action,.............but forward tho' I canna see.......I guess an' fear.
    Jardi Iím sorry to disagree with a lot of what you say and I have no doubt this is going to cause a major stooshy.
    I do agree with this being a possible pivotal game for the manager however he should never listen to supporters. The only people he should be listening to is his back room staff. I would far sooner have a manager who will make his own decisions and stand by them. If a manager listened to the fans then he would have 20 odd different players on the pitch and have different tactics every 2 minutes, to appease everyoneís opinions. A good manager should be his own man and maybe take the advice of his coaches but the decisions are made by him. If he listened to the supporters then there would be no room for supporters wanting him out as itís there wishes he is implementing. Then what? We sack the supporters? I would sooner have a manager who is his own man and stands up to supporters. They are the experts on the game. Thatís why they are employed in the role. So if for one second we think Johnstone listens to fans, or even should listen to fans, then quite frankly we are delusional.
    Yes we may agree or disagree with what he does but he is employed to make these calls. If it doesnít work out then he is the one that is shown the door, but for enforcing his own principles on the team, not the principles of 1200 supporters

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,968
    Fatfan, paradoxically, I agree with much of what you say, and especially the fact that a manager cannot possibly listen to 1200 completely different ideas of how the team should play etc.

    The difference though is when you are pitched against 1200 voices who are essentially suggesting the same thing, and that is pure arrogance which is not a good look.

    There have been many people on this board who have hinted form the moment the draw was made that this would not just be a potential banana skin, - but an entire bunch.

    I still maintain that the team have performed well over most of the season, and that in the main they have been extremely unlucky, - but Friday's attempt was pitiful.

    If Queens play like they did against ICT then they will be out of the Scottish Cup and at the bottom of the league, and that is a very dangerous predicament for any manager to be in, - so I do hope that he is reading this board and accepting that the team didn't perform on Friday night and making sure that the boys make amends on Saturday.

    Finally, every manager must listen to the fans, - if they don't then they are completely delusional, - because ultimately it is the fans who call the shots by staying away and starving the club of their money. That is why I say the fans are the lifeblood of the club, and no manager should treat them with contempt.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Fatfan, paradoxically, I agree with much of what you say, and especially the fact that a manager cannot possibly listen to 1200 completely different ideas of how the team should play etc.

    The difference though is when you are pitched against 1200 voices who are essentially suggesting the same thing, and that is pure arrogance which is not a good look.

    There have been many people on this board who have hinted form the moment the draw was made that this would not just be a potential banana skin, - but an entire bunch.

    I still maintain that the team have performed well over most of the season, and that in the main they have been extremely unlucky, - but Friday's attempt was pitiful.

    If Queens play like they did against ICT then they will be out of the Scottish Cup and at the bottom of the league, and that is a very dangerous predicament for any manager to be in, - so I do hope that he is reading this board and accepting that the team didn't perform on Friday night and making sure that the boys make amends on Saturday.

    Finally, every manager must listen to the fans, - if they don't then they are completely delusional, - because ultimately it is the fans who call the shots by staying away and starving the club of their money. That is why I say the fans are the lifeblood of the club, and no manager should treat them with contempt.
    Jardi. I donít think you are getting the point I am trying to make here. Yes the fans are the lifeblood of any club whether it be Barcelona or qos. But the fans are there to support a team, not to manage it.
    As for the manager treating the fans with contempt, I canít comment on that as I donít watch the interviews so I have no idea what he is like. What I would say is if you flip that comment I would say we are closer to the truth. Itís the fans who are now treating the manager with total contempt. Are they right to do this?
    What I will say is I remember a mr Klop being told the same when he questioned Liverpool fans constantly leaving early, yet 5 years on he is worshipped. Guardiola was branded arrogant by Man City fans not so long ago for criticising fans not turning out for games. Ferguson was the same. Fans were desperate to get rid of him yet he turned out to be the most successful manager in England. That is because they have an idea on how a team should play and have been left to get on with it. Were they arrogant for not listening to fans prior to the success they brought there respective clubs. Weíre they arrogant? Possibly. Were they right? Most definitely.
    The difference is fans could see a slow improvement in there teams which led to success. Now I canít see much improvement in the way queens are playing or being run, whereas you are saying differently since you see the side playing well and being unlucky, as you say.
    I would say itís not luck thatís put us to the bottom of the league, itís a complete inability to score goals that has cost us dear. We are so easy to defend against. If you watch the game from Friday night you will see that every time we go forward every player has his back to the opposing goals. Nobody makes a run or look to get in behind the defence and that has been the same all season. That is why we do not score. Not bad luck. Just sheer bad play.
    Now is that the fault of the manager or the players? I really have no idea tbh. But the league doesnít lie as they say and what is going on reflects that. So I fully agree with you that the cup game could be a pivotal moment for the manager but that is down to his recruitment and tactics, not because supporters donít agree with him or what they think of him. I really donít care what he thinks of the fans, Iím only interested in him doing a job at Palmerston that will improve us and bring success. He could be the biggest arrogant dk of all time, but Iíd still be happy if we were at the top end of the league. So you call a manager like that delusional! I call him strong in his principles of how the game should be played and who should be playing. Thatís what they get paid for and thatís there job. They all know what happens when they get it wrong
    Unfortunately we are bottom of the league and hardly favourites to get through in the cup which tells me after two seasons the club are going backwards.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,812
    From the official Twitter page 😀


    Referee - Scott Lambie
    AR1 - Steven Traynor
    AR2 - Gordon McCabe

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,812
    If youíre travelling up to Cove this weekend make sure you wrap up warm. Itís to be windy and very cold 🥶

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,689
    Any chance the game will be off?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_dumfries View Post
    If youíre travelling up to Cove this weekend make sure you wrap up warm. Itís to be windy and very cold 🥶
    According to the D and G Standard we have never met Cove before which is bol locks as we played and beat them in the Scottish Cup in December 1989 with goals from Gary Fraser and Tommy Sloan. Barney Davidson was in goal with big Whoosh Mills and a young Andy Thomson on the bench

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •