+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cove Rangers v Queens

Cove Rangers v Queens

A tricky away Scottish Cup fixture against big spenders & Division 1 league leaders Cove Rangers this Saturday.

What could possibly go wrong ☹️

This game could be Johnston's nemesis, because Queens cannot afford (quite literally) to be knocked out of the Scottish Cup by a team from a lower league before the end of November, - and be sitting at the bottom of the league.

It's as important as that and I've been hinting at this being a pivotal game ever since the draw was made.

Had the points being going on the board, and Friday's performance against ICT hadn't been so truly awful, then there might have been some room for manoeuvre, but this is make or break, although sadly the only person who doesn't realise how important it is is Alan himself.

This is our Scottish Cup Final on Saturday, against a team who are sitting atop of the league and will be in the Championship next season and we will need to throw the kitchen sink at Cove to have any chance of progressing.

I think I've stressed the importance of this game, - but then Mr. Johnston doesn't listen to the fans, - the very life blood of Queen of the South, - he does what he thinks is best.................yes I trust I've irked him into action,.............but forward tho' I canna see.......I guess an' fear.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    This game could be Johnston's nemesis, because Queens cannot afford (quite literally) to be knocked out of the Scottish Cup by a team from a lower league before the end of November, - and be sitting at the bottom of the league.

It's as important as that and I've been hinting at this being a pivotal game ever since the draw was made.

Had the points being going on the board, and Friday's performance against ICT hadn't been so truly awful, then there might have been some room for manoeuvre, but this is make or break, although sadly the only person who doesn't realise how important it is is Alan himself.

This is our Scottish Cup Final on Saturday, against a team who are sitting atop of the league and will be in the Championship next season and we will need to throw the kitchen sink at Cove to have any chance of progressing.

I think I've stressed the importance of this game, - but then Mr. Johnston doesn't listen to the fans, - the very life blood of Queen of the South, - he does what he thinks is best.................yes I trust I've irked him into action,.............but forward tho' I canna see.......I guess an' fear.
    Definately a very difficult game for Queens against a team who have a couple of forwards who have scored goals for fun over the years - Mitch Megginson and Rory McCallister and also have very experienced players in their ranks such as Fraser Fyvie and Ian Vigurs

Jardi I’m sorry to disagree with a lot of what you say and I have no doubt this is going to cause a major stooshy.
    I do agree with this being a possible pivotal game for the manager however he should never listen to supporters. The only people he should be listening to is his back room staff. I would far sooner have a manager who will make his own decisions and stand by them. If a manager listened to the fans then he would have 20 odd different players on the pitch and have different tactics every 2 minutes, to appease everyone’s opinions. A good manager should be his own man and maybe take the advice of his coaches but the decisions are made by him. If he listened to the supporters then there would be no room for supporters wanting him out as it’s there wishes he is implementing. Then what? We sack the supporters? I would sooner have a manager who is his own man and stands up to supporters. They are the experts on the game. That’s why they are employed in the role. So if for one second we think Johnstone listens to fans, or even should listen to fans, then quite frankly we are delusional.
    Yes we may agree or disagree with what he does but he is employed to make these calls. If it doesn’t work out then he is the one that is shown the door, but for enforcing his own principles on the team, not the principles of 1200 supporters

Fatfan, paradoxically, I agree with much of what you say, and especially the fact that a manager cannot possibly listen to 1200 completely different ideas of how the team should play etc.

The difference though is when you are pitched against 1200 voices who are essentially suggesting the same thing, and that is pure arrogance which is not a good look.

There have been many people on this board who have hinted form the moment the draw was made that this would not just be a potential banana skin, - but an entire bunch.

I still maintain that the team have performed well over most of the season, and that in the main they have been extremely unlucky, - but Friday's attempt was pitiful.

If Queens play like they did against ICT then they will be out of the Scottish Cup and at the bottom of the league, and that is a very dangerous predicament for any manager to be in, - so I do hope that he is reading this board and accepting that the team didn't perform on Friday night and making sure that the boys make amends on Saturday.

Finally, every manager must listen to the fans, - if they don't then they are completely delusional, - because ultimately it is the fans who call the shots by staying away and starving the club of their money. That is why I say the fans are the lifeblood of the club, and no manager should treat them with contempt.

Fatfan, paradoxically, I agree with much of what you say, and especially the fact that a manager cannot possibly listen to 1200 completely different ideas of how the team should play etc.

The difference though is when you are pitched against 1200 voices who are essentially suggesting the same thing, and that is pure arrogance which is not a good look.

There have been many people on this board who have hinted form the moment the draw was made that this would not just be a potential banana skin, - but an entire bunch.

I still maintain that the team have performed well over most of the season, and that in the main they have been extremely unlucky, - but Friday's attempt was pitiful.

If Queens play like they did against ICT then they will be out of the Scottish Cup and at the bottom of the league, and that is a very dangerous predicament for any manager to be in, - so I do hope that he is reading this board and accepting that the team didn't perform on Friday night and making sure that the boys make amends on Saturday.

Finally, every manager must listen to the fans, - if they don't then they are completely delusional, - because ultimately it is the fans who call the shots by staying away and starving the club of their money. That is why I say the fans are the lifeblood of the club, and no manager should treat them with contempt.
    Jardi. I don’t think you are getting the point I am trying to make here. Yes the fans are the lifeblood of any club whether it be Barcelona or qos. But the fans are there to support a team, not to manage it.
    As for the manager treating the fans with contempt, I can’t comment on that as I don’t watch the interviews so I have no idea what he is like. What I would say is if you flip that comment I would say we are closer to the truth. It’s the fans who are now treating the manager with total contempt. Are they right to do this?
    What I will say is I remember a mr Klop being told the same when he questioned Liverpool fans constantly leaving early, yet 5 years on he is worshipped. Guardiola was branded arrogant by Man City fans not so long ago for criticising fans not turning out for games. Ferguson was the same. Fans were desperate to get rid of him yet he turned out to be the most successful manager in England. That is because they have an idea on how a team should play and have been left to get on with it. Were they arrogant for not listening to fans prior to the success they brought there respective clubs. We’re they arrogant? Possibly. Were they right? Most definitely.
    The difference is fans could see a slow improvement in there teams which led to success. Now I can’t see much improvement in the way queens are playing or being run, whereas you are saying differently since you see the side playing well and being unlucky, as you say.
    I would say it’s not luck that’s put us to the bottom of the league, it’s a complete inability to score goals that has cost us dear. We are so easy to defend against. If you watch the game from Friday night you will see that every time we go forward every player has his back to the opposing goals. Nobody makes a run or look to get in behind the defence and that has been the same all season. That is why we do not score. Not bad luck. Just sheer bad play.
    Now is that the fault of the manager or the players? I really have no idea tbh. But the league doesn’t lie as they say and what is going on reflects that. So I fully agree with you that the cup game could be a pivotal moment for the manager but that is down to his recruitment and tactics, not because supporters don’t agree with him or what they think of him. I really don’t care what he thinks of the fans, I’m only interested in him doing a job at Palmerston that will improve us and bring success. He could be the biggest arrogant dk of all time, but I’d still be happy if we were at the top end of the league. So you call a manager like that delusional! I call him strong in his principles of how the game should be played and who should be playing. That’s what they get paid for and that’s there job. They all know what happens when they get it wrong
    Unfortunately we are bottom of the league and hardly favourites to get through in the cup which tells me after two seasons the club are going backwards.

From the official Twitter page 😀

Referee - Scott Lambie
    AR1 - Steven Traynor
    AR2 - Gordon McCabe

If you’re travelling up to Cove this weekend make sure you wrap up warm. It’s to be windy and very cold 🥶

Any chance the game will be off?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_dumfries View Post
    If you’re travelling up to Cove this weekend make sure you wrap up warm. It’s to be windy and very cold 🥶
    According to the D and G Standard we have never met Cove before which is bol locks as we played and beat them in the Scottish Cup in December 1989 with goals from Gary Fraser and Tommy Sloan. Barney Davidson was in goal with big Whoosh Mills and a young Andy Thomson on the bench

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)