+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Conceding goals - who’s to blame ?

Nick's a good shot stopper but he doesn't have Tom's commanding ability which led to him being captain. I think Heaton's been our best goalie while I've watched Burnley, shame about his injury. Pope should become an excellent keeper with more coaching and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    Nick's a good shot stopper but he doesn't have Tom's commanding ability which led to him being captain. I think Heaton's been our best goalie while I've watched Burnley, shame about his injury. Pope should become an excellent keeper with more coaching and experience.
    I also think Tom is the best Burnley keeper I've seen Chris, and the first time I saw Burnley Colin McDonald was in goal, which shows how highly I regard him. I have no problem with Nick though, I don't want to see him dropped or replaced or anything, he's a good keeper and I doubt very much we could replace him with better, he's as good as we need and as good as we're going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I also think Tom is the best Burnley keeper I've seen Chris, and the first time I saw Burnley Colin McDonald was in goal, which shows how highly I regard him. I have no problem with Nick though, I don't want to see him dropped or replaced or anything, he's a good keeper and I doubt very much we could replace him with better, he's as good as we need and as good as we're going to get.
    Adam Blacklaw for me, but we have been blessed with some great goalkeepers over the years that is for sure.

Tom very rarely came off his line, it's my understanding that this was quite deliberate and worked on in training, Tom only came for balls he could collect easily, otherwise he let the defenders deal with it. You seem to be suggesting Army that this was a weakness, but I thought it worked perfectly, there was never any confusion in our defence, and we ended the 13/14 season, Tom's first, with the best defensive record in the league with just 37 goals conceded and only 5 defeats in 46 games. Tom kept 19 clean sheets, and let in just one goal in 19 others.

But I digress, I'm not trying to pick on Nick, like I've said before, I don't think we have a defensive problem, we're fine imo, but if you are going to claim our defence is not functioning as well as it used to, I just find it perverse that every man and his dog is getting the blame, except the goalkeeper. If any defence is not functioning properly the first position to scrutinise is surely goalkeeper. I do get the impression that Nick is a blue-eyed boy with many of our fans, somehow above criticism, but he shouldn't be, that's all I'm saying.
    No ones above criticism Sinkov keeper upwards when i started the thread it was because a few were starting to have a go at our centre backs and full backs and personally I thought that what was in front of them was letting two many runners through straight onto our back 4 and keeper.

You could analyse it forever but I feel that the centre backs were younger models fitter etc and the midfield was more compact to
    Protect them and in turn the keeper.

As for Tom I’m a fan like you but every time the opposition delivered a ball in open play or set piece my heart was in my mouth as he didn’t claim the ball or clean out players.

From my my own personal experience a goalkeeper behind you who comes and takes ball when it’s getting fizzed in is worth more than weight in gold.

Both imo anyway great keepers - popes weakness is distribution , Tom’s was command of his area on crosses - you can’t have everything I suppose.

Two things helped with Tom for me army, I saw him on't Turf for Bristol City the season before he signed for us and he played us on his own, it was one of the best goalkeeping displays I've ever seen, I was thinking I wish we had a keeper like that, and I couldn't believe our luck when Sean went and signed him for us. The other was he replaced Lee Grant, who was as dodgy a keeper as you could wish to see, I was well happy to see the back of him.

Two things helped with Tom for me army, I saw him on't Turf for Bristol City the season before he signed for us and he played us on his own, it was one of the best goalkeeping displays I've ever seen, I was thinking I wish we had a keeper like that, and I couldn't believe our luck when Sean went and signed him for us. The other was he replaced Lee Grant, who was as dodgy a keeper as you could wish to see, I was well happy to see the back of him.
    I remember that game sinkov. It was April 2013 and Burnley won 3-1 but we could and should have had 6 or 7 but for Heaton. Brizzle were on their way to relegation and had offered Tom a new contract. He turned it down and opted to move to Burnley. What a signing that was!

As good as I’ve seen Sinkov at the turf and Stephenson was good was Walker the Scottish lad who’s dad made shortbread ( millionaire) before he came, this lad was an exceptional keeper , I think he went home to run the company.
    Should really mention me old mate Paul Crichton really played for Yorkshire at youth level with him ( won’t remember me now).

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    I remember that game sinkov. It was April 2013 and Burnley won 3-1 but we could and should have had 6 or 7 but for Heaton. Brizzle were on their way to relegation and had offered Tom a new contract. He turned it down and opted to move to Burnley. What a signing that was!
    Not arguing with you my mate but I'm sure that game finished 4-1. I'll check up later.

The lass in front of me kept on saying she had never seen a better pair of Men's Buttocks than Toms!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Not arguing with you my mate but I'm sure that game finished 4-1. I'll check up later.

The lass in front of me kept on saying she had never seen a better pair of Men's Buttocks than Toms!
    BT --it was definitely 3-1. Albert Adomah scored for them in the 35th minute and we were losing at half time. Jason Shackell (52), Chris McCann (61) and Martin Paterson (90) saw us through to victory.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)