+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conceding goals - who’s to blame ?

Conceding goals - who’s to blame ?

1 - the defence
    2- the midfield
    3 - the manager
    4 - a mixture of the above

Interesting this one as a few of you on here are having a pop at the defence about our conceding goals.
    Personally imo anyway the midfield is our down fall at conceding goals , however this maybe partly down to the fact that our two centrally get overrun or simply run out of steam , if you add to that our two wide midfielders also put defence under pressure as they don’t track back and they let runners go a lot , allowing opposition to deliver easy ball into our box.

A few of you are having a pop at Taylor as well whereas if we hadn’t had him we’d have conceded more - here came around the back and covered Lowton and the centre backs several times in the game ( yes he got turned by Gallagher for the second goal , but on Lowton s side of pitch and after the midfield had let Gallagher run off the back of them without following.

JBG simply isn’t good enough - or strong enough to play at this level ( we’re carrying him constantly) and yet he delivered a good ball for
    Cornets goal .

Mcneil has value but we need to keep the ball better and use him instead of asking him to chase runners - ( I accept all players have To do this some of the time ).

So imo Dyche s in ability to set up differently or change when needed to and the midfield in adequacy Is the reason we’re conceding more goals , not just the defence.

The buck always stops with the manager, if Sean can no longer organise our defence adequately, then we'll be relegated, and need to replace him with someone who can.

Ironically before Sean arrived we had the same problem with Howe. Sean tightened us up defensively then we started grinding out results. However as good as you are defensively when you regularly play with only 1/3rd possession you are going to be under constant pressure. We need to keep hold of the ball and improve our pass accuracy.

Just looking at results and I'm not convinced we actually have a defensive problem. In a defence league table we'd be joint 13th, only 12 teams have conceded fewer than us, so our defence is just below average for the PL, about as good as you can hope for really. While the clean sheets have dried up, the Palace game was only the 2nd time this season we've conceded more than 2 goals in a game, and that includes games at Anfield and Stamford Bridge. So far we've conceded 20 goals in 12 games. last season we conceded 19 in the first 12 games, just one fewer. Not much there for me to worry about anyway.
    Last edited by sinkov; 21-11-2021 at 11:33 PM.

For the last four seasons our right flank has been under constant pressure.

Two physical lightweights get exposed time and time again.

Dyche refuses to change formation or play his best players.

Put Roberts in for JBG, play Collins alongside Mee and use Tarkowski as the defensive holding midfielder to protect the back four.

Give McNeil a kick up the arse and tell him to put his bottom lip back in.

I'd love to see us try 5-3-2 or 4-3-3 or 4-1-3-2 but with Dyche in charge that ain't going to happen.

Just leave Cornet alone!

If your are twisting my arm up my back, in the past I have said defence, yes. Als midfield is at fault, we can not say the midfield is running out of steam. (As a kid in leagues I used to play sometimes twice a day ,and at half back ,which is attack and defence) So its not running out of steam. Quickly taking Benteke's goal, why does the Iceman not see Benteke alone unmarked? Were are Westwood and Brownhill? Of course he can score being unmarked. Why does Wood take up a position next to Mee? A lack of command in central defence. Why no communication?
    ''You may say that I'm a dreamer ,but I am not the only one!'' (song from our midfield! )

2nd goal Tarks is at fault here! Dyce should tell them its the football players that score goals not the grass! Tarks here should have spotted the danger and followed Benteke like glue!

3rd goal.
    here we have 7 players in the penalty area ,and still one player is unmarked! (number 6 )

In this moment 7 Burnley players in the goal area, they have 3 ,and still they score. Unbelievable!!! 5 of our players are queuing I think for fish and chips??? Since the beginning of the season, there seems a lack of communication in defence . Why? Sort it out!!!!

There are times when our defence appears to be very dis-organised, I would suggest that this may be a problem for the team captain as he needs to be the leader on the pitch.

For a long while we have allowed the opposing team to run at our defence and we certainly need to upgrade our midfield and attacking options, with the exception of Cornet all our options in that department are at best only just suitable for the premier league.

I have said previously and firmly believe that our manager is far to rigid in his team setup and stubbornly refuses to change even when the game is going badly for us. It may be that his loyalty to some of our out of form players could also be a problem that need to be addressed.

Personally I do not blame Charlie Taylor for our defence being leaky, I think he is being asked to do far too much in overlapping to get in a cross than having to race back in defence and sometimes having to cover for the other three defenders. He gets very little support from our midfield when defending is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    There are times when our defence appears to be very dis-organised, I would suggest that this may be a problem for the team captain as he needs to be the leader on the pitch.

For a long while we have allowed the opposing team to run at our defence and we certainly need to upgrade our midfield and attacking options, with the exception of Cornet all our options in that department are at best only just suitable for the premier league.

I have said previously and firmly believe that our manager is far to rigid in his team setup and stubbornly refuses to change even when the game is going badly for us. It may be that his loyalty to some of our out of form players could also be a problem that need to be addressed.

Personally I do not blame Charlie Taylor for our defence being leaky, I think he is being asked to do far too much in overlapping to get in a cross than having to race back in defence and sometimes having to cover for the other three defenders. He gets very little support from our midfield when defending is needed.
    As previously mentioned, Dyche needs to give McNeil a kick up the arse and tell him to put his bottom lip back in and help Charlie out.

Vintage : ''There are times when our defence appears to be very dis-organised'' EXACTLY!

'' I would suggest that this may be a problem for the team captain as he needs to be the leader on the pitch.''
    Being the Captain on the field , this is what he should be doing. Dyce can not shout ,or organise from the sidelines.

It beats me why they do not 'all' watch a video of the game and correct the mistakes. Or could it be SD is not there ,and is 'down south?'
    I would not blame Charlie Taylor, if there is no one commanding the defence. What does Taylor have to become 'a mind reader?'
    ''Always then its a case of nobody really knows what others are doing!'' How long can this go on ??? Back in August we had this problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)