+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashling & Sutton Streets (behind the main stand)

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Regarding Asling Street, the small factory units behind the main stand are on Ashling Court. Does anyone know when that was developed or does it all tie in with previous posts? Apologies if I've missed something obvious.
    They look late 1970s to me.

Although it's a small area, I think the house numbers on Sutton Street ran into the 60s. So there were probably around 100 homes there (including the courts off Ashling Street as well). In the days when people had larger families you're probably looking 400 plus people living right next to the ground for a period.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    They look late 1970s to me.

Although it's a small area, I think the house numbers on Sutton Street ran into the 60s. So there were probably around 100 homes there (including the courts off Ashling Street as well). In the days when people had larger families you're probably looking 400 plus people living right next to the ground for a period.

Yes, looking at the photo posted earlier in the thread I counted about 50 chimney stacks, so two houses per stack would definitely mean about 100 houses and a good amount of local support for Notts!

What a great thread this is, thanks especially for the images.

I first attended Notts games in around 1967 on occasional visits to Nottingham with family. The script was always to enter at the County Road turnstyles and stand in the County Road Stand. Later, through the 1970s and 1980s very similar, albeit approaching via Meadow Lane rather than Londond Road/the city, so what what lay beyond the 'posh side' of the ground was a total mystery to me for a lot of years!

The old ground never seemed to have the same atmosphere after the old Meadow Lane Stand was demolished and a further development that put a dent in my Notts attendances was the installation of the fences in front of the County Road Stand. After so many years standing with friends and family in the same spot it ruined the experience for me, either migrating elsewhere or worse, watching the game through a fence.

Good to see this slightly more modern-day demonstration of Notts' traditional support heartland of the Meadows via the images here. It opens the pages of a fantastic Notts County history book.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    This piccy looks to have been taken after some demolition had taken place, but not all.

There's no County Road on that photo? There is, however, a channel underneath Meadow Lane, where it now meets County Road. Is there a culvert to/from the Trent and Canal?

Also, are those the famous sheep grazing on the ML pitch? Might give a clue to a date.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    Is there a culvert to/from the Trent and Canal?
    On Google Street View, outside the Trent End at Forest, there's a sluice gate to the Trent exactly in line with County Road, so must be.

There's no County Road on that photo? There is, however, a channel underneath Meadow Lane, where it now meets County Road. Is there a culvert to/from the Trent and Canal?

Also, are those the famous sheep grazing on the ML pitch? Might give a clue to a date.

That pic was taken in 1927, a year after we'd lost our top flight status and Albert Iremonger's Notts career had come to an end. The County Road stand is two years old there, so still "The Popular Side" or "Sneinton Side" at the time, though most probably now referred to it as "the new stand".

Imagine living in those houses that backed onto the ground up to 1910. You'd looked out of your back windows onto nothing but allotments for years, then all of a sudden there's a brick wall there and the next thing you know you can the hear the roar of 25,000 people watching a local derby match. At least the stands would have deflected the smell of the abattoir away when that was built another decade later. Apparently the residents would regularly be woken up in the middle of the night by the many trains blowing their fog horns whilst speeding trough the mist coming in off the Trent.

Judging by their shadows and their number I reckon they're players rather than sheep. Either a training session or a reserve/practice match perhaps?

The view over the top of the Kop in the 1970s from County Road, probably 1974ish, with Saint Saviour's spire. The large buildings on the left with the two triangular roofs are still there on Iremonger Road, as is the barrelled roofed building on the extreme right (also on Iremonger). The large chimneys are all gone. The houses below the church would have been on the other side of London Road, the area rebuilt in the late 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    This piccy looks to have been taken after some demolition had taken place, but not all.

It's very strange to think that my aunties, uncles and grandparents were maybe inside their home when that picture was taken (my dad hasn't been born in '27). If anyone can recall how the numbering went on ML, I'd be really interested. They were at no 9.

More great photos here: https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...meadow-3823220

The slaughter house looks a bit grim, going to the castle market was a day out when I was little, no wonder I'm vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    It's very strange to think that my aunties, uncles and grandparents were maybe inside their home when that picture was taken (my dad hasn't been born in '27). If anyone can recall how the numbering went on ML, I'd be really interested. They were at no 9.

More great photos here: https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...meadow-3823220

The slaughter house looks a bit grim, going to the castle market was a day out when I was little, no wonder I'm vegetarian!
    Somebody who lived at no.9 in 1882 apparently made a very grim discovery on his way to work one morning by the Trent.
    Not sure if it was the same incident but that same year a body was pulled out of the Trent with his ankles and knees tied together and the people who discovered the body carried it to the Navigation Inn.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast