+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Ashling & Sutton Streets (behind the main stand)

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I mentioned in an earlier post about going on the kop for the Oldham game in ‘79. There were about 200 of the Oldham fans and they had the whole kop. I think the following season saw the segregation come in on the kop with away fans having a section closest to County Road stand. The more away fans came the police would open up extra sections. I remember often stood right next to some big away fan followings separated by one fence snd a line of police. This must have been after promotion to Div 1 though?
    Think the segregated Kop was there the year we went up in 1980/81 - seem to recall a decent following from Peterborough in the fourth round of the FA Cup when we lost 1-0.

In the days when it was generally all pay on the day, you’d gauge the away following by when they opened up an extra pen in the away end. I had a few seasons where we’d stand at the back of the Kop, in front of the scoreboard, and it used to get quite lively when we were in touching distance of the away fans.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

Looks like you can see the tunnel in the above pic.
    I'm fairly certain the tunnel would have gone with the re-building of the Kop in the summer of 1980 which didn't extend quite so far beyond the corner flag.

The kop was definitely still open to home fans in 1975/76 and there was no above head height fences at the start of that season. So maybe it was some other incident involving hooligans or an accumulation of problems that pushed Notts into taking the decision to install one at that end. Fences didn't go up at the front of County Road until the start of the 1981/82 season, following the promotion.
    Thanks for posting that, glad I didn’t imagine it.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Maybe we should start a "have you ever been thrown out or arrested?" thread.
    I know the chap who got arrested for jumping over to the touchline on County Road to confront (and ever-so-slightly shove) the linesman v Brentford in 2000 was a poster here. I think he said he had to do an anger management course as punishment.
    I got stopped and searched at just about every away match I ever went to if I wasn't with my dad or the wife, but never got into any bother once inside.
    For my sins I was a bit of a **** in my younger years so was often found getting a talking to by the local Gendarme. One of my stupider moments was Millwall at home October 1990. It was the year of the Poll Tax riots which actually kicked off in London in March.

I got myself one of those "B0ll0cks to the Poll Tax!" T-Shirts and upon walking into the ground, County Road Side, I walked out next to the away end and endeared myself to the Millwall fans by gleefully displaying my T-Shirt for all to see.

Unfortunately local law enforcement weren't too pleased and I got dragged back under the stand where two of them essentially set about me. Eventually they made me wear the T-Shirt inside out and let me back on the terraces although looking a little bloodied around the nose and mouth.

Anyway, upon walking back out onto the terraces the Millwall fans all gave me a big cheer and then started hurling abuse at the police. There were many other 'incidents' but I think that was about the only one I could probably share on here.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    For my sins I was a bit of a **** in my younger years so was often found getting a talking to by the local Gendarme. One of my stupider moments was Millwall at home October 1990. It was the year of the Poll Tax riots which actually kicked off in London in March.

I got myself one of those "B0ll0cks to the Poll Tax!" T-Shirts and upon walking into the ground, County Road Side, I walked out next to the away end and endeared myself to the Millwall fans by gleefully displaying my T-Shirt for all to see.

Unfortunately local law enforcement weren't too pleased and I got dragged back under the stand where two of them essentially set about me. Eventually they made me wear the T-Shirt inside out and let me back on the terraces although looking a little bloodied around the nose and mouth.

Anyway, upon walking back out onto the terraces the Millwall fans all gave me a big cheer and then started hurling abuse at the police. There were many other 'incidents' but I think that was about the only one I could probably share on here.
    Thatcher's boot boys, eh? Pretty shameful stuff from the police - lucky for you that you weren't committing a major offence.

Only time I got in trouble with PC Plod was the derby at the Temple of Satan in 1983 when I was told I was going to be thrown out of the ground if I made another offensive gesture to the F***** fans on the other side of the Bridgford Road fencing. In fairness, I don't think any court in the land would convict me for calling them a bunch of w*****s.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Thatcher's boot boys, eh? Pretty shameful stuff from the police - lucky for you that you weren't committing a major offence.

Only time I got in trouble with PC Plod was the derby at the Temple of Satan in 1983 when I was told I was going to be thrown out of the ground if I made another offensive gesture to the F***** fans on the other side of the Bridgford Road fencing. In fairness, I don't think any court in the land would convict me for calling them a bunch of w*****s.
    To be fair it could be argued your shouted comments were indeed factual!

Supporters of a certain vintage will no doubt remember this rather handy facility on London Road.

Name:  260699618_1561130957649446_2846095237101809564_n.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  96.3 KB

... Clochemerle ... (anyone!) ...

Quote Originally Posted by Masson4 View Post
    Supporters of a certain vintage will no doubt remember this rather handy facility on London Road.

Name:  260699618_1561130957649446_2846095237101809564_n.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  96.3 KB
    I remember the graffiti on the wall in there - Here I sit, broken hearted, spent a farthing but only farted.

I recall the Galton and Simpson adaptation of it in the 1970s.

Believe this pissoir now stands in Wollaton Industrial Museum - and no longer runs straight into the Nottingham Canal!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567