+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashling & Sutton Streets (behind the main stand)

Ashling & Sutton Streets (behind the main stand)

Does anybody know when Sutton Street was demolished?

Ashling street was still there in 1972, here's a picture of it off Iremonger Road with the bollards preventing any road access at that end.

Sutton Street was another dead end accessed via Ashling Street and was the road that ran up against and parallel to the main stand. Apparently there was a turnstile to the ground on Sutton Street and there are reports of queues on that road with people being there from 4am for a game in 1950.

It looks as though the two streets were built circa 1880.
    The Trent Navigation Inn appears to date back to the 1840s so must have stood all on its' own initially.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Does anybody know when Sutton Street was demolished?

Ashling street was still there in 1972, here's a picture of it off Iremonger Road with the bollards preventing any road access at that end.

Sutton Street was another dead end accessed via Ashling Street and was the road that ran up against and parallel to the main stand. Apparently there was a turnstile to the ground on Sutton Street and there are reports of queues on that road with people being there from 4am for a game in 1950.

It looks as though the two streets were built circa 1880.
    The Trent Navigation Inn appears to date back to the 1840s so must have stood all on its' own initially.

Sorry I don't remember these streets at all. Always just been Iremonger Rd in my memory. (Only about eight when got dragged to first game.)

However, judging by the map I found c.1960 it appears that Iremonger Rd replaced these streets, so I don't quite understand your post.

www.ivanlea.net/notts/notts_c-sth.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    Sorry I don't remember these streets at all. Always just been Iremonger Rd in my memory. (Only about eight when got dragged to first game.)

However, judging by the map I found c.1960 it appears that Iremonger Rd replaced these streets, so I don't quite understand your post.

www.ivanlea.net/notts/notts_c-sth.jpg
    Iremonger Road looped around the back of Sutton and Ashling Street, all three roads co-existed together for a period, as the photo shows.

I think Iremonger Road might possibly have originally been a ditch running along past the end of the two roads, to collect excess rain and help prevent flooding before it was filled in for the road built in 1962-ish. The name Iremonger was likely chosen because we were celebrating our centenary around that time.

Sutton Street is now the car-park behind the Derek Pavis Stand.
    Ashing Street is now "Ashling Court" for business/industry, but you now access that road from off Iremonger Road rather than Meadow Lane. The entrance to the original Ashling Street would have been near where the Sirrel & Wheeler statue now is.

Yes, I think I "get it". According to Google maps Ashling Street still exists!

Would guess demolition was at same time as general Meadows clearance = 1975 ?

Yes, I think I "get it". According to Google maps Ashling Street still exists!

Would guess demolition was at same time as general Meadows clearance = 1975 ?

This piccy looks to have been taken after some demolition had taken place, but not all.

That's an odd photo... it looks really old. Guessing 1950 ?

There are several small streets in the area between the old Main Stand (replaced by Pavis) and London Rd.

The famous HT scoreboard on the kop does not seem to have been yet constructed.

Uh... one other thing... what is that text on the old Meadow Lane Stand roof? Who on earth would be able to read it ?? ?
    Last edited by Mark_Ross; 22-11-2021 at 07:39 PM.

In the days when quite a few supporters would travel to the match on their bikes, some of the householders in those streets offered a “bike parking” service, ie leave your bike in their backyard for a small fee.

Iremonger Road, Ashling and Sutton Streets are all seen in this extract from the c.1960 Burrows street map...

Last edited by SwalePie; 22-11-2021 at 07:52 PM.

That's an odd photo... it looks really old. Guessing 1950 ?

There are several small streets in the area between the old Main Stand (replaced by Pavis) and London Rd.

The famous HT scoreboard on the kop does not seem to have been yet constructed.

Uh... one other thing... what is that text on the old Meadow Lane Stand roof? Who on earth would be able to read it ?? ?
    The scoreboard was at that time at the far side of the old ML stand. The text on the ML stand is advertising, (I think)? Though ferg knows who would be able to see it? Have you noticed the tree that stands outside of ML gates and the one that (stood) inside the gates were actually originally in people's gardens?

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Iremonger Road, Ashling and Sutton Streets are all seen in this extract from the c.1960 Burrows street map...

I assumed the piccy I posted showed the beginnings of the area being demolished? Looking at your maps, maybe it always looked like that, with a lot of it being ''waste land''.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast