+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Ticket Sales rip-off.

O/T Ticket Sales rip-off.

Okay...nothing whatsoever to do with DCFC or football but one for the accountants...maybe.

Last summer I had two tickets for a comparatively big gig priced at around £70 each.
    The event was cancelled owing to Covid and I eventually got about £125 back...the face value of the two tickets without the annoyingly mysterious ‘booking fee’.
    So far that seems about ‘par for the course’...annoying but live with it.
    On top of that however I’d paid a relatively small fee...about £2.40 per ticket...for ticket protection, i.e. if because of illness, accident, car breakdown etc I/we couldn’t make it we’d be reimbursed.
    That ticket protection money was never refunded and it’s a paltry individual amount so most people won’t bother but I got to thinking...the gig was part of a nationwide tour that took in about twelve venues with capacities of between 1-2,000.
    In other words there were potential ticket sales of around 18,000 and if even half of those tickets bought included ‘protection’ at £2.40 per ticket that’s around £21,600 profit for doing absolutely nothing.
    Now all those involved in the ticket/protection sale say that that such sales are non refundable, which obviously they are in normal circumstances, but my argument is...if the event doesn’t actually take place how can you possibly charge people for protection against them being unable to attend?
    £2.40, or £4.80 in this instance, is too small an amount to get worked up about, but given the bigger picture what do others think...both legally and morally?

If you paid you car insurance and then didnt make a claim on it, would you expect to get the premium back? Insurers were on risk come what may......

From the other side of the fence, I am involved with a small museum that advance sold tickets, and when covid shut it down, we had to deal with the issue of refunds etc. We had business interruption cover.....would they pay - nope, the pandemic did not count, even though they lost the case (and on appeal) they did not pay on the basis that we were not specifically told to close by the authorities - evidently the government general requirement didn't count. If we had burned down, they would have paid. Did we get our premium back - nope.

Moral of the story - never buy this sort of insurance as an individual - do you buy extended warranty on white goods? If yes, dont!! But if you must buy it, read the policy wordings intensely, then dont buy it. Also, remember a pandemic is an act of god, whether you believe or not

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    If you paid you car insurance and then didnt make a claim on it, would you expect to get the premium back? Insurers were on risk come what may......

From the other side of the fence, I am involved with a small museum that advance sold tickets, and when covid shut it down, we had to deal with the issue of refunds etc. We had business interruption cover.....would they pay - nope, the pandemic did not count, even though they lost the case (and on appeal) they did not pay on the basis that we were not specifically told to close by the authorities - evidently the government general requirement didn't count. If we had burned down, they would have paid. Did we get our premium back - nope.

Moral of the story - never buy this sort of insurance as an individual - do you buy extended warranty on white goods? If yes, dont!! But if you must buy it, read the policy wordings intensely, then dont buy it. Also, remember a pandemic is an act of god, whether you believe or not
    No, of course not, but it’s not quite the same.

They sold me insurance against not being able to attend the event...but the event never happened. The insurance was only really relevant on the day of the event, to protect me against my inability to attend on that particular day, but - through no fault of mine or the numerous other punters - that day never arrived because the event was cancelled.

Would you still expect to pay holiday insurance for a holiday that was cancelled weeks before it was due to take place?

Yes, because most holiday insurance risk is in the cancellation, and you'd have a claim.........except if USA when its all bout healthcare costs. if you want to avoid that risk, buy your insurance the day before you leave, not weeks in advance. The other option is to have an annual policy, that way the issue doesnt arise.

Most people's problems with insurance lie in the fact that they never read the T&C

Oh and have you seen the new £ 5 per capita charge that the EU is to impose on UK visitors there - I imagine we will reciprocate, if we havent already

Yes, because most holiday insurance risk is in the cancellation, and you'd have a claim.........except if USA when its all bout healthcare costs. if you want to avoid that risk, buy your insurance the day before you leave, not weeks in advance. The other option is to have an annual policy, that way the issue doesnt arise.

Most people's problems with insurance lie in the fact that they never read the T&C
    Indeed, and the annual policy is the route I always go down...but I’m still unsure of why we should be charged for insuring ourselves against the inability to attend an event that never took place.

Tbf...you’re right and the T&C did say the charge was ‘non refundable’, but equally that surely applied to me changing my mind or trying to claim it back afterwards, not in the event of the occasion/performance never actually taking place at all.

ok lete look at an example

you book well in advance for an event

you insure your inability to attend

you die / break a leg / fall seriously ill / go to jail

you cannot go, so claim on your policy and collect back your 70 quid

the event is then cancelled - do you give the insurer his clai back?

Point is, they have been on risk for a period between when you bought the ticket and when the event is cancelled

ok lete look at an example

you book well in advance for an event

you insure your inability to attend

you die / break a leg / fall seriously ill / go to jail

you cannot go, so claim on your policy and collect back your 70 quid

the event is then cancelled - do you give the insurer his clai back?

Point is, they have been on risk for a period between when you bought the ticket and when the event is cancelled
    Well yes...if you’d had your money back from the organisers when the event was cancelled, which you probably would have.

My point is...the ticket protection was apparently irrelevant in terms of the event being cancelled...it was explicitly to protect against my/our inability to attend, but there was nothing to attend and therefore nothing to protect me/us against.

Not sure why the customers should lose in this situation. Not seeking any form of compensation...just suggesting that customers should be reimbursed. The moral maze...what is it good for?

Can we all have a whip round for this £2.40?

I've started a gofundme page.

Lets not let RA suffer at this difficult time,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)