+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Solskjaer

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    My first impression of Man U was in the 1970s when they were a horrible horrible club, THE absolute worst, and that has stuck, my 2nd most hated team. Had I grown up in the 1950s I'd have had a very different impression, like my dad did who did travel by train to watch them from time to time - shortly after Munich I think, but I've always had a soft spot for City. One of my great grandparents lived up there circa early 1900s, not sure exactly where, I need to check to see who they most likely would have supported had they stayed there. It must be a great place to live in terms of football, ditto Liverpool. It's a real shame Notts haven't been up to creating that sort of rivalry interest for so very very long. It would be so great wouldn't it.
    I understand your point. I was at the 2nd division game when Man U came to Meadow Lane 1975. Think they needed a point to win the title and raced into a 2-0 lead (should have been 4 or 5-0) only for Notts to roar back second half to tie the game. The spion kop was bursting with United fans of which their Neanderthal component spent most of the game trying to infiltrate us in the County road, eventually succeeding after the game finished to rearrange the stand. God knows what they would have done had Notts scored a third to win the game!

I was born in 1960 and still retained fond memories of the United team on the pitch during that decade, but the experience of the behaviour of their fans very much had an adverse effect on any love for the club. I seem to remember that Jasper Carrott relayed a similar type experience of a visit he made to Old Trafford in support of his beloved Birmingham City which is probably still available somewhere on You Tube.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I think a top-level coach would turn United around very easily. They’ve got a great squad on paper, but they’ve completely lost their way under recent managers - none of whom was a decent coach (OGS, Mourinho). Someone like Pochettino would do very well there, I fear.

However, I also think the on-pitch decline reflects what’s happening off the pitch and owners who care only about profits. I think for too long now they’ve forgotten that winning trophies is how they maintain their brand, not how many replica kits they’re selling in Asia. Also, I’ve not been there in about 15 years but the stadium also sounds rather rundown, adding to that sense of neglect.
    A great squad on paper? They really haven’t. They have obvious gaps in the squad. They have players who think they are better than what they are - Pogba, Fernandes and Maguire to name just 3.
    It is no surprise that the running stats in the premier league see Man Utd at the bottom. They have too many players who are lazy. Who want others to do the work they don’t want to. It’s ironic that a number of Utd players have sent their condolences to OGS, the same players who contributed to his demise with piss poor performances.
    Positions Utd need to address, right back, centre back, defensive midfielder, and a proper number 9. For a top club to be competitive at the top end of the Prem, you can’t have so many deficiencies.
    The one thing a new coach will need to do is give Utd an identity. A philosophy that suits the players they have and intend to bring in. They need to shift the dead wood. I would include Pogba in that as well as any player who genuinely doesn’t want to be at the club.
    At Notts we have a few players that probably aren’t good enough to be in and around the team yet because they give 100%, it doesn’t give us fans reason to berate them.
    Giving 100% for me is a given. No matter how good you are.

Agree with a lot of that 78 but Fernandes is a brilliant player. So not sure about he thinks he's better than he is.

Seriously how good was he only last season? I'd say he was sensational in his first season in the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by KintoreMagpie View Post
    I understand your point. I was at the 2nd division game when Man U came to Meadow Lane 1975. Think they needed a point to win the title and raced into a 2-0 lead (should have been 4 or 5-0) only for Notts to roar back second half to tie the game. The spion kop was bursting with United fans of which their Neanderthal component spent most of the game trying to infiltrate us in the County road, eventually succeeding after the game finished to rearrange the stand. God knows what they would have done had Notts scored a third to win the game!

I was born in 1960 and still retained fond memories of the United team on the pitch during that decade, but the experience of the behaviour of their fans very much had an adverse effect on any love for the club. I seem to remember that Jasper Carrott relayed a similar type experience of a visit he made to Old Trafford in support of his beloved Birmingham City which is probably still available somewhere on You Tube.
    I do blame Man U for not being able to attend until I was 12. By the time I was 9 I was desperate to go to a game, most of my friends had now been to a match and I was having to fib that I'd been to Notts but I'd just forgot to buy a programme to prove it. My dad had seemingly come round to the idea (he had experienced some pretty bad scenes at Elland Road whilst we were living up there) and we were looking at forthcoming fixtures. Then on the next Sunday morning he came into the lounge and dropped the back page of the News of the World in front of me and walked off without saying anything. The headline was violence at a Wolves v Man Utd game and a picture of a makeshift Kung Fu star with the words "I hope this cuts your head off you Wolves Ba****d." etched into it and flung into their end. So I knew then we wouldn't be going and it took another 3 years for me to convince him.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Agree with a lot of that 78 but Fernandes is a brilliant player. So not sure about he thinks he's better than he is.

Seriously how good was he only last season? I'd say he was sensational in his first season in the Premier League.
    But dreadful in recent weeks. Did you see his contribution to Watford’s penalty? A player of his class simply doesn’t do what he did. I would be fuming if Matty Palmer did what he did.
    I would also like to add that OGS had a good season last year (without crowds) so maybe Fernandes needs another lockdown to get back to form.
    I think he is good but he isnt immune of criticism and nor should he be.

I did indeed and you could easily say he, Pogba and Maguire (and more Rashford Shaw) have been poor all season by their individual high standards. But you can't just forget that he was absolutely sensational last season in a very similar Man Utd team/squad. They finished 2nd

He won their player of the season award and shortlisted for the Premier League player of the season which nobody would have moaned if he had won. He's better than good. Like you said he's (top) class but as we've seen at many clubs their players just weren't playing for Ole no matter what they say post match as illustrated perfectly with Pogba's sending off against Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I did indeed and you could easily say he, Pogba and Maguire (and more Rashford Shaw) have been poor all season by their individual high standards. But you can't just forget that he was absolutely sensational last season in a very similar Man Utd team/squad. They finished 2nd

He won their player of the season award and shortlisted for the Premier League player of the season which nobody would have moaned if he had won. He's better than good. Like you said he's (top) class but as we've seen at many clubs their players just weren't playing for Ole no matter what they say post match as illustrated perfectly with Pogba's sending off against Liverpool.
    He was certainly in better form. But like you highlighted, he like OGS helped Man Utd to 2nd last season. However, when I suggested OGS was not out of his depth due to helping Utd finish 2nd, it was counter argued that it was due to no crowds and no penalties. Hence my tongue in cheek comment regarding that.
    The big issue Utd have is that the top players they have don’t have the same drive and determination that the top players at Liverpool, Chelsea and City have. Watch how even the best players at those clubs perform when they are attempting to get the ball back.
    Utds forward thinking players look half hearted. Fernandes and the great Ronaldo included. It was no surprise to me to see Portugal not playing both together during the Euros, as good as they can be, they don’t put in the effort required when out of possession.
    Man City dodged a bullet with Ronaldo. There is no way Pep would allow Ronaldo to swan about as he does.

Agree with all that. Mason Greenwood who looks a fantastic finisher and great attacking player but his work rate and defensive work as highlighted by the analysts is unacceptable along with many others.

My point was you can't say Fernandes thinks he's better than he is when only last season he proved he was one of the top Premier League players, I'd say Top 3 certainly Top 5. He is absolute top quality but as you and many have highlighted this season under OGS he has under performed in a lazy looking side who are tactically naive compared to title rivals and don't have a game plan or even style of player. These top players have become disillusioned and weren't playing for their manager clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    A great squad on paper? They really haven’t. They have obvious gaps in the squad. They have players who think they are better than what they are - Pogba, Fernandes and Maguire to name just 3.
    It is no surprise that the running stats in the premier league see Man Utd at the bottom. They have too many players who are lazy. Who want others to do the work they don’t want to. It’s ironic that a number of Utd players have sent their condolences to OGS, the same players who contributed to his demise with piss poor performances.
    Positions Utd need to address, right back, centre back, defensive midfielder, and a proper number 9. For a top club to be competitive at the top end of the Prem, you can’t have so many deficiencies.
    The one thing a new coach will need to do is give Utd an identity. A philosophy that suits the players they have and intend to bring in. They need to shift the dead wood. I would include Pogba in that as well as any player who genuinely doesn’t want to be at the club.
    At Notts we have a few players that probably aren’t good enough to be in and around the team yet because they give 100%, it doesn’t give us fans reason to berate them.
    Giving 100% for me is a given. No matter how good you are.
    They’ve got so many talented players who are shadows of their former selves - Wan-Bissaka, Shaw, Maguire, Fernandes, Pogba, Rashford, Sancho. Varane and De Gea are world class players, too. What they lack is a world class defensive midfielder and any sense of joined-up thinking regarding recruitment - hence the Ronaldo buy.

Still, it’s all very entertaining for us “Anyone but United” types. I always preferred City, the same way I prefer Espanyol to Barcelona.

What is this 'Premier League' thingy of which you all speak?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast